Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Stretch

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite
Economy Stretch

But for now, Economy Stretch: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12276812
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
"up from the standard pitch that starts at 31in in economy class" is that a sign that standard economy is going to lose an inch or two?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Economy Stretch

I bet a million dollars that Economy Stretch will be charged at full standard price to HVCs, and not be selectable in advance for free. Simultaneously, all HVC complimentary preferred seating locations will be pushed further down the Y cabin. A net loss for HVCs (certainly Elites) virtually guaranteed?

A fairly reasonable comparison would be 1Ks on United, who can select Economy Plus for free (plus a number of companions on the same PNR) at time of booking.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite
My thoughts exactly upon reading that article. United MP Gold and Platinum members can also reserve them for free including their companions
Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:07 pm

Economy Stretch sounds a lot like Economy Smartium on the OZ A350s. They ask for 210AUD for it SYD-ICN, for comparison, they charge 190AUD for exit row seats (I don't know if they actually fly SYD using the A350s but that's the price on the website). It certainly makes a difference (was op-uped ICN-LHR), but I don't think I would pay that amount for it. If NZ does offer it at a similar price point, I doubt many people will pay for it, and it will still be available for HVCs 48h out.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Economy Stretch

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...conomy-stretch

"roomy 35-inch pitch seat and amenities such as a premium headset and plush pillow" remember the 747s with a 34 inch pitch as standard?

and more...
  • Air New Zealand is currently installing an Economy Stretch zone across its widebody fleet with all aircraft to be reconfigured by late 2020
  • The airline is using its current Economy seat with sculptured upholstery and flexible headrest for the new product
  • Standard Economy seat pitch on Air New Zealand's widebody fleet starts from 31 inches and its Premium Economy seats have a 41-inch pitch
I understood standard pitch starts at 32 inches on the 77W, but if this means them all compacting to 31 inches then the big question is whether HVCs get access at booking for free, or at some point. It was too much to hope that it would mean 777s would go back to 3-3-3 as before, or that 787s would go to 2-4-2.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Haha there is no way they will go back to 3-3-3 or 2-4-2 anytime soon. The airline industry culture would have to change a LOT for that to happen!

Glad they are making room for stretching and moving and actually encouraging it. I know people who have suffered from deep thrombosis after a long haul flight and one of them had no risk factors besides taking a long haul flight.
libertyuk and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Haha there is no way they will go back to 3-3-3 or 2-4-2 anytime soon. The airline industry culture would have to change a LOT for that to happen!

Glad they are making room for stretching and moving and actually encouraging it. I know people who have suffered from deep thrombosis after a long haul flight and one of them had no risk factors besides taking a long haul flight.
Agreed, be interesting to see if it is on the scale that UA does it, with Economy plus being 21-23% of Economy seats on 777s and 787s equipped with premium economy. Might not be hard to fill them with HVCs if it also incuded *Golds.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'd be very surprised if NZ give it away to HVCs for free. This is about making $$$

Maybe 48hrs out like exit rows..
Old Oct 15, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'd be very surprised if NZ give it away to HVCs for free. This is about making $$$

Maybe 48hrs out like exit rows..
I agree with sbiddle on this, I cannot see any way they will let HVC's have them for free at least until 48 hours out. It is all about money. Effectively though, it becomes another decrease in benefits for those with status, because the HVC seats will be further back.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
No way this will be for HVC - maybe select while they roll out the seats/pitch but once its fully rolled out they'll charge HVCs
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Give it a year post-rollout, and it will cost you a RU to access :-) :-) :-)
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
I assume Economy Stretch bookings will attract extra APs and SPs.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:01 pm

Maybe Stretch will replace current preferred (seat map pink) seating?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by stick1
I assume Economy Stretch bookings will attract extra APs and SPs.
Probably more they will reduce the rates on the non-strech fares...
JayKiwi and sopwith7 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.