Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change to upgrade options on codeshares operated by BA? (SELLUP, BUYOUT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:39 am
drn
Original Poster

When flying to some smaller markets in Europe, I regularly end up with AA codeshare flights operated by BA in my itinerary. In some cases, these include the longer transatlantic legs.

In the past, I have been able to call American and pay $ to upgrade just the transatlantic leg, operated by BA, to premium economy or business.

Fast forward now - I have a trip with tickets issued by American, with the transatlantic leg operated by BA, and American is telling me they cannot upgrade the BA segment. My only option is to re-ticket and upgrade the entire itinerary.

I tried calling BA, but as expected, this results in them telling me to call American.

Did I miss a policy/terms change in regards to codeshare flights operated by BA, or is there something else that is causing this issue?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Did you upgrade or upfare/buyup previously? Did the prior times involve a connection to/from the transatlantic leg or was the transatlantic leg one part of a multi-stop journey? You may be running into married segment logic if the transatlantic leg is a connecting flight and you're looking to upfare/buyup.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Sep 23, 2019 at 8:06 am
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:44 am
drn
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Did you upgrade or upfare/buyup previously?
Not for this itinerary. I have on past similar itineraries.

Did the prior times involve a connection to/from the transatlantic leg or was the transatlantic leg one part of a multi-stop journey?
This trip is AA->BA(want to upgrade with $)->BA and BA->AA->AA on the return vs the last trip that I upgraded being AA->AA->BA and BA->BA(upgraded with $)->AA on the return.

You may be running into married segment logic if the transatlantic leg is a connecting flight and you're looking to upfare/buyup.
I thought married segment logic was only applied to award(miles redemption) upgrades? In this case, American is willing to re-ticket the entire itinerary on the same flights in a higher cabin, but will not take my money for just upgrading the BA segment.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by drn
In the past, I have been able to call American and pay $ to upgrade just the transatlantic leg, operated by BA, to premium economy or business.
On a revenue ticket?
You were not upgraded, you bough up to PE/J on an specific segment because the itinerary/fare allowed it.
So you were basically issued a new ticket just like what they are offering now.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

here is the policy for review:
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
If there is space available, BA will sell you a one class upgrade at the airport.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I don't see why it would matter that you're only trying to upgrade one of the segments. The policy uses the word "any" and it covers codeshares. However, is there a reason you only want to pay to upgrade one of the flights? Is there a significant cost saving to doing this rather than upgrading all the flights, either for the entire itinerary or just one way?

FWIW only last week I upgraded an AA booking from PE to J where all flights except one were BA operated and had no issues at all. Very knowledgeable agent who knew about the waiver and processed the sell up / upgrade in a matter of minutes with the ticket confirmation arriving via e-mail shortly afterwards. The only thing was that the first flight changed from an AA codeshare to the BA prime flight number.

Apart from the waiver, I find that the whole change / reticketing process is so much better with AA than with BA where even the most simple changes often need to be sent away and take weeks to be processed.
JonNYC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.