Are you comfortable flying AA?

Old Sep 20, 2019, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Are you comfortable flying AA?

As a member of an ethnic minority group, I would avoid flying AA due to an increasing number of racist incidents. The latest one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49764305
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by GodAtum
As a member of an ethnic minority group, I would avoid flying AA due to an increasing number of racist incidents. The latest one https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49764305
This article was a joke. Nothing specific was noted and the entire story was not told. Given that people from all cultures board flights on American day in and day out I would seriously doubt that any crew would look at any minority group, including Muslim, and ask for them to be removed. What is your claim that American Airline is having an increase in the number of racist incidents? Moreover I can't believe anyone would actually believe press releases which are aren't about facts anymore but getting eyeballs or clicks.

If someone was removed from a flight it's doubtful it was because of the color of their skin and more than likely they acted in a behavior that would concern the crew enough to want them removed.
jridge, Gringa, jmj9905 and 20 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I thought this was about seat pitch.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This article was a joke. Nothing specific was noted and the entire story was not told. Given that people from all cultures board flights on American day in and day out I would seriously doubt that any crew would look at any minority group, including Muslim, and ask for them to be removed. What is your claim that American Airline is having an increase in the number of racist incidents? Moreover I can't believe anyone would actually believe press releases which are aren't about facts anymore but getting eyeballs or clicks.

If someone was removed from a flight it's doubtful it was because of the color of their skin and more than likely they acted in a behavior that would concern the crew enough to want them removed.
"They were travelling separately, but recognised one another from the local Muslim community and waved to each other on board."

I am inclined to believe there are FA's who would consider this behavior to be "concerning", but absurdly thinking this was some kind of terrorist signaling.
Non Muslims have also been removed from flights for invalid reasons. I don't find it too difficult to imagine a possibility of truth in the story reported
One of the men is a 1 MM flyer with AA. He was interviewed by at least one local Dallas TV station. I saw it on the local news. He said the flight attendant was listening at the lav door after the other passenger went in.

Also on that site, "Alaska Airlines has apologised to a gay couple after one of them was asked to give up his seat to allow a straight couple to sit together"
"https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45022013"
So, yes, crew wanted a gay couple to either sit separately, so a straight couple could sit together, or leave the flight.
There is no lack of bigotry among airline crews, especially on AA
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Also on that site, "Alaska Airlines has apologised to a gay couple after one of them was asked to give up his seat to allow a straight couple to sit together"
So, yes, crew wanted a gay couple to either sit separately, so a straight couple could sit together, or leave the flight.
Bolding mine.

So you're saying: An isolated incident on AS, paired with an isolated incident on AA, is evidence that bigotry is especially present with AA crews? That's quite a leap.

Random speculation/guessing about the level of bigotry in airline crews seems like an OMNI topic to me.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I have been avoiding AA due to operational reasons lately, but I have not had an issue (this century) with racial bias or profiling with AA. Or any other domestic airline.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
My one word answer your subject query: Yes.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I love flying AA.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Being born in India, raised in England and now living in the states,
I being of light brown skin have no problem flying AA or any other airlines.
Most if not all FA's get are always commenting on my skin color and asking how I got such a great tan. (I speak with an English accent), when I tell them I was born that way, they smile and tell me how lucky I am.
on a side note: You will always find me wearing a Hawaiian shirt and shorts.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't think that bigotry is widespread on AA (or most other airlines for that matter). When you consider how diverse the crew is to begin with. You may have noticed that a good portion of AA male FAs are gay. (In fact I can tell you without a doubt the running joke at AA is how many male FAs are actually heterosexual). Not to mention the number of African Americans, Latinos, etc. FAs are often hired for their foreign language skills. Again, I doubt there's any kind of mass conspiracy to discriminate against any particular class.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:34 am

The BBC article clearly states the reason for the security concern:
The reason, the agent allegedly said, was that Mr Abdallah "went to the restroom and... flushed twice".
So it's not a matter of profiling but rather evidence-based. Have you ever flushed twice on a plane? Of course not. Many people don't flush even once.
Gerbs and JSSAUCE like this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Sep 20, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
That's a one sided story.
Given Alaska's airlines full apology text, and knowing how seating errors may (and do) occur all the time, I am inclined to believe Alaska

https://la.eater.com/2018/7/31/17633...t-social-media
This unfortunate incident was caused by a seating error, compounded by a full flight and a crew seeking an on-time departure and nothing more than that. It’s our policy to keep all families seated together whenever possible; that didn’t happen here and we are deeply sorry for the situation. We’ve reached out to Mr. Cooley to offer our sincere apologies for what happened and we are seeking to make it right.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
AA flies ~200MM passengers/year. If were at 1 questionable or unclear incident/month, Id say yes the system is working & desirable & thats an airline Id very much want to support & give my business to, as a minority. Few other places in life youll get treated as fairly..
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The BBC article clearly states the reason for the security concern: So it's not a matter of profiling but rather evidence-based. Have you ever flushed twice on a plane? Of course not. Many people don't flush even once.
So let me get this right. You're saying that the fact that the passenger flushed the lavatory twice is suspicious? Seriously? If I go to the restroom on a plane and find that the person before me hasn't flushed then I will flush, do my business, and then flush again. I will even - shock horror - wash my hands! Does that make me suspicious? I'd certainly hope not.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 10:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
The BBC article clearly states the reason for the security concern: So it's not a matter of profiling but rather evidence-based. Have you ever flushed twice on a plane? Of course not. Many people don't flush even once.
Please do not think that I frittered away my working life on BA eavesdropping at toilet doors - but where on earth you get that piece of information from I cannot imagine.Presumably you must be acquainted with others that, perhaps, do. I've heard people double flush more times that I have had hot dinners.My worry if I heard multiple flushes, and I mean multiple would be that someone was not well.

I may be extremely disappointed with AA for its constant changing of flight times, lateness, the attitude of the some of the crews and the meals that are now worse than used to be served in Economy, but never ever for any kind of Bigotry. Indeed. were the Minorities to up and leave - American Airlines would probably grind to a halt. As would BA,.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.