Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Easyjet May Be Upping Their Biz Offering - Threat to BA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:36 am
BOH
Original Poster

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

Just returned from hols in Scandinavia and on a couple of nights we found ourselves sitting on the same table as an Easyjet captain. Some fascinating discussions throughout the week but he mentioned a few things that made me wonder if they are gunning for BA a bit more, particularly the business traveller. He mentioned a few things that will probably be unveiled / in final stages of planning in the next 12 months (but not all) and that most were probably common knowledge so had no problem with sharing.
  • A potential simple FFP program with tier levels - simple to the extent of after say 6 sectors, one free sector is earned. Or 10 for a return flight
  • A trial of a separate cabin on LGW routes with higher fares and empty middle seat - but only on selected business heavy destinations, ie, AMS, MXP-LIN / ZRH etc
  • Pax will be able to earn status with # of flights (as per BA) but interestingly also able to purchase it too - basically an expansion of the current Easyjet Plus but now a much more expensive higher level to be available
  • No dividing cabin screen, only differentiated by different colour headrest covers each time
  • The new higher level tier able to access a range of independent lounges at airports that have them, ie Priority Pass
So am curious as to the potential impact on BA if any / all of these come to fruition? Am not 100% convinced it will because it is LGW (not known for either it's connecting traffic or premium / high fare travellers) and neither is BA that active there anymore either. Might be a temptation for point-to-point business travellers who are in the South / South West London area and Sussex / Kent / Surrey etc.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The more competition; the better for passengers. It may force BA to focus on ensuring it's CE product is better than EasyJets and provide pressure on prices to ensure it is (or remains) sensibility priced.

I can only see upside..... unless you are a IAG shareholder.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:51 am

Aren’t Easyjet already as big (if not bigger) in the U.K. domestic and U.K.-Europe markets they compete with BA?

It’s as much BA following Easyjet as vice versa at this point.
orbitmic and nivsy like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOH

.. LGW (not known for either it's connecting traffic or premium / high fare travellers) and neither is BA that active there anymore either..
Stop perpetuating this myth. I'm a premium / high fare traveller and have no problem using LGW when it's convenient.

And BA is certainly very active at LGW

As to what BA will do IF Easyjet does any of these things? Likely shrug its shoulders and simply not care.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jun 25, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:04 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Aren’t Easyjet already as big (if not bigger) in the U.K. domestic and U.K.-Europe markets they compete with BA?

It’s as much BA following Easyjet as vice versa at this point.
They are bigger, but don't appeal to some who want lounge access / FFP / free drinks & food etc.

From outside London, IMO you'd have to be crazy to choose BA over Easyjet if there is a direct routing rather than via LHR.
:D! and etiene like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Gold/high fare using LGW tomorrow. Does EasyJet fly to the Caribbean? No? OK, I’ll stick with BA in J
alex67500 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
They are bigger, but don't appeal to some who want lounge access / FFP / free drinks & food etc.

From outside London, IMO you'd have to be crazy to choose BA over Easyjet if there is a direct routing rather than via LHR.
Unfortunately, EasyJet cares as little for those of us in the West Midlands as BA does. It's hard enough getting to LHR, let alone LGW.
IAMORGAN, mastutio and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

An interesting development if it does come to fruition, although possibly targeting Vueling more than BA and other legacy carriers. I suppose the standard APD rate would apply to these fares which would suggest diversification in the EZY demographic.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’d argue they are already a perfect acceptable business flight substitute if you just want to get from A2B at a decent price without fuss. All of the bells can already be purchased - eg free middle - or are available from other cards eg AmEx Plat PP.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Easyjet already has an invitation only free FFP with some good benefits.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by cme17
Easyjet already has an invitation only free FFP with some good benefits.
out if interest which parts of it do you think are good?

i am a member and have never used any of the perks.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:02 pm

We need some EZY LHR action... to give BA GLA-LHR a run for their money. Regular prices are verging on ridiculous
nivsy likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
"The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by gw76
We need some EZY LHR action... to give BA GLA-LHR a run for their money. Regular prices are verging on ridiculous
That's what the 3rd runway plan says LHR want, naming EZY and Flybe has already saying they want to run domestic from LHR when the new runway is built.
nivsy likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Nice info, will be very interesting to see what changes emerge. Incidentally, BA's soon-to-depart James Hillier told me at a customer event about a year ago that he was headhunted by Easyjet for the new loyalty job (but clearly either didn't get it or didn't go for it!).

I trialled a full switch to Easyjet for a period of a few months twice in the past three years (including EasyJet Plus) and both times I've given up because of very poor punctuality and often unpleasant boarding experience. I'm aware this can vary significantly based on personal travel patterns but my experience of Easyjet at LGW, LTN and LYS (all bases for the airline) has been less than stellar. Maybe a loyalty scheme will tip the balance?
lhrsfo and AlicorporateUK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.