Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booking With Avios Tonight/Tomorrow Morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I'm booking flights tonight/tomorrow as it will be 355 days to departure tomorrow. Is it still the case that the system will tick over sometime after midnight and I can book them then?

In previous years it's been about 1am when I could make the booking but I'm not sure if it's still the same. We fly a couple of days before Easter 2020 and I want to make sure we get what we want!

Thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Mikey07
I'm booking flights tonight/tomorrow as it will be 355 days to departure tomorrow. Is it still the case that the system will tick over sometime after midnight and I can book them then?

In previous years it's been about 1am when I could make the booking but I'm not sure if it's still the same. We fly a couple of days before Easter 2020 and I want to make sure we get what we want!

Thanks.
I stand to be corrected but I believe it is always midnight GMT. So because the UK are on BST currently it's 1am at the moment. If you were booking in Winter months it’s midnight.

Im sure someone with a far better understanding will come along but AFAIK that’s correct. Someone will know the best way to book but I’m not sure. I seem to recall if you ring another centre to speak to someone (UK office will be shut) just before the time so by the time you are connected you can book and if you have to wait 1 minute it’s not a problem.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. Any idea if the flights are available at 1am, or is it any time from then onwards?

I don't mind staying up to make sure we get what we want, but if it's going to be really late I might just go to bed and get up early!
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Between March and October it’s definitely 0100 current Uk time (BST) when rewards get released.

Worth staying up if you want specific dates especially on popular routes.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ok, thanks. Any idea if the flights are available at 1am, or is it any time from then onwards?

I don't mind staying up to make sure we get what we want, but if it's going to be really late I might just go to bed and get up early!
It's usually within a minute or two. Obviously BA's cranking IT needs to be up for it, but you probably have a better chance at that hour on the whole. If it's not one of the key routes it will probably still be there in the morning however.
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Will stick it out.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
AFAIK: The guaranteed 4Y and 2J on each flight are made available at exactly midnight GMT (1am BST) 355 days in advance. Other availability can appear at any time but often also at midnight GMT T-355. Seats which are held, not paid for and then released can disappear and reappear seemingly at random, so often it seems that seats are made available some minutes after midnight GMT.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Sorted. Right on 1am.

Thanks folks.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:39 am
Original Poster

I have another question about this booking if anyone can help. I used an Amex 2 for 1 voucher last night to book our outbound flights. The voucher expires on 21st April 2020 and our return flights, when I book them in a few weeks time, will be on 3rd May 2020.

Will I be able to add the return flights to the same booking, using the 2 for 1 voucher, or will I have to use the normal amount of miles for this half of the booking?

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I have another question about this booking if anyone can help. I used an Amex 2 for 1 voucher last night to book our outbound flights. The voucher expires on 21st April 2020 and our return flights, when I book them in a few weeks time, will be on 3rd May 2020.

Will I be able to add the return flights to the same booking, using the 2 for 1 voucher, or will I have to use the normal amount of miles for this half of the booking?

Thanks.
yes that’s fine you can add them in. It’s just all the outbound flights which must be taken prior to voucher expiry.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 20, 2019 at 5:54 am
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Excellent, thanks for that.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
I did this a couple of months back when it was midnight exactly. I got the flights I wanted but when I got to the payment which appeared to go through, at the very end of the process I got a message that said “unable to process this transaction” or something to that effect. I referred to this forum who said it was probably that someone had just managed to pay before me for those same flights. The payment sat in my PayPal account for a couple of days before dropping off. I remember double checking those flights before proceeding which probably lost me them. The moral here is don’t dilly dally, be careful but speedy!
Steve in Olympia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.