Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nonstop Flights from DFW to Hawaii (HNL,OGG,KOA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond

I am looking for direct flights from DFW to cities in Hawaii. I take these flights once per year or so. I was trying to book a flight PHL-DFW-KOA in October but there are no direct flights from DFW-KOA that month. Further investigation shows no direct flight from DFW to any of the three Hawaiian cities in October/November/December. I have done this trip several times in November or December. I am wondering if this is a seasonal thing, or a permanent change, or maybe they just haven't loaded all of the routes in yet. Anyone have any insight?

N.B. I know that I can fly PHL-Hawaii via PHX or LAX but I strongly prefer going through DFW because I prefer the aircraft and the flight home is longer which allows for more uninterrupted sleep.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:16 am

I rely on the DFW-HNL route for a client, this would not be ideal. I see flights on Matrix still, probably a glitch.

Last edited by jliehr; Mar 26, 2019 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by apeortdz
I am looking for direct flights from DFW to cities in Hawaii. I take these flights once per year or so. I was trying to book a flight PHL-DFW-KOA in October but there are no direct flights from DFW-KOA that month. Further investigation shows no direct flight from DFW to any of the three Hawaiian cities in October/November/December. I have done this trip several times in November or December. I am wondering if this is a seasonal thing, or a permanent change, or maybe they just haven't loaded all of the routes in yet. Anyone have any insight?

N.B. I know that I can fly PHL-Hawaii via PHX or LAX but I strongly prefer going through DFW because I prefer the aircraft and the flight home is longer which allows for more uninterrupted sleep.
There's definitely flights to HNL from DFW and ORD during those times. I think DFW-KOA and DFW-OGG too.

The AA website is not working right this morning.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by apeortdz

Technically, you’re not actually looking for direct flights, which can include a connection; you’re looking for nonstop flights. DFW normally has nonstop flights to HNL, iirc ORD does as well - but that and OGG, KOA may be seasonal?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by JDiver
Technically, you’re not actually looking for direct flights, which can include a connection; you’re looking for nonstop flights...
Technically, a direct flight could be nonstop, or have one or more stops enroute. It may also involve a change of gauge enroute (starting to get into a gray area....), but it would not involve a connection to another flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Technically, that's not true in airline lingo. Nonstop refers to a flight that goes from origin to destination with NO stops in between. Direct refers to flights with one or more stops between origin and destination.
JDiver and writerguyfl like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
DFW - KOA and DFW - LIH are both seasonal. For example last year KOA ran during whale season (week before Christmas - end of March) and summer break (June-Aug) - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2018/
airb330 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Google Flights is showing DFW-OGG nonstop, Oct 24 to Nov 7:It appears that there are 2 nonstop flights between DFW and HNL:
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Technically, a direct flight could be nonstop, or have one or more stops enroute. It may also involve a change of gauge enroute (starting to get into a gray area....), but it would not involve a connection to another flight.
Yep, more detailed explanation. I recall AA 48, iirc, SFO-DFW-FRA, which included a change of gauge sometimes, change of aircraft always and change of terminal always. “Direct”, like the MD-80 DFW-ORD and in to LHR via DC-10. Same flight numbers, direct, miles earned as if nonstop.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by airb330
There's definitely flights to HNL from DFW
AA 5, DFW-HNL, is among the AA flights operating for the longest time with the same flight number. Since at least the early 1980s, I think.
airb330 and formeraa like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Just received a rebooking confirmation for my DFW-KOA nonstop (AA229) for next June, and I'm being routed through PHX. The seasonal DFW-LIH was already discontinued, and from what I can tell, DFW-KOA no longer operates seasonally in '22. Any intel on this?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nddomer04
Just received a rebooking confirmation for my DFW-KOA nonstop (AA229) for next June, and I'm being routed through PHX. The seasonal DFW-LIH was already discontinued, and from what I can tell, DFW-KOA no longer operates seasonally in '22. Any intel on this?
Disappointing to hear. It doesn't show up even later in the summer (checked Fourth of July holiday and a random week in August), so I wouldn't count on it coming back. You/we could be pleasantly surprised if they add it back later.
nddomer04 likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dkc192
You/we could be pleasantly surprised if they add it back later.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe they jumped the gun too early in releasing it, and it's possible they add it back to the schedule as we get closer. Sure doesn't seem that way, but time will tell.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nddomer04
DFW-KOA doesn't appear to operate at all in 2022 past the first week in January.

Unfortunately, I had Premium Economy booking on that flight for late January. Really messes things up since the only alternate routing with PE is via HNL.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
DFW-KOA doesn't appear to operate at all in 2022 past the first week in January.

Unfortunately, I had Premium Economy booking on that flight for late January. Really messes things up since the only alternate routing with PE is via HNL.
Wouldn't KOA-HNL-DFW be preferable to a painfully short redeye and connection in LAX? Especially if you can get confirmed in PE via HNL? Even if the intra-island flight adds an additional segment (assuming you are ultimately continuing to PHL), I think I would still prefer to be on HNL-DFW flight.

-FlyerBeek
Antarius likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.