Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nonstop Flights from DFW to Hawaii (HNL,OGG,KOA)

Old Mar 26, 19, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond

I am looking for direct flights from DFW to cities in Hawaii. I take these flights once per year or so. I was trying to book a flight PHL-DFW-KOA in October but there are no direct flights from DFW-KOA that month. Further investigation shows no direct flight from DFW to any of the three Hawaiian cities in October/November/December. I have done this trip several times in November or December. I am wondering if this is a seasonal thing, or a permanent change, or maybe they just haven't loaded all of the routes in yet. Anyone have any insight?

N.B. I know that I can fly PHL-Hawaii via PHX or LAX but I strongly prefer going through DFW because I prefer the aircraft and the flight home is longer which allows for more uninterrupted sleep.
Old Mar 26, 19, 6:16 am

I rely on the DFW-HNL route for a client, this would not be ideal. I see flights on Matrix still, probably a glitch.

Last edited by jliehr; Mar 26, 19 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold,Hilton HHonors Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
I am looking for direct flights from DFW to cities in Hawaii. I take these flights once per year or so. I was trying to book a flight PHL-DFW-KOA in October but there are no direct flights from DFW-KOA that month. Further investigation shows no direct flight from DFW to any of the three Hawaiian cities in October/November/December. I have done this trip several times in November or December. I am wondering if this is a seasonal thing, or a permanent change, or maybe they just haven't loaded all of the routes in yet. Anyone have any insight?

N.B. I know that I can fly PHL-Hawaii via PHX or LAX but I strongly prefer going through DFW because I prefer the aircraft and the flight home is longer which allows for more uninterrupted sleep.
There's definitely flights to HNL from DFW and ORD during those times. I think DFW-KOA and DFW-OGG too.

The AA website is not working right this morning.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post

Technically, you’re not actually looking for direct flights, which can include a connection; you’re looking for nonstop flights. DFW normally has nonstop flights to HNL, iirc ORD does as well - but that and OGG, KOA may be seasonal?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:22 am

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Technically, you’re not actually looking for direct flights, which can include a connection; you’re looking for nonstop flights...
Technically, a direct flight could be nonstop, or have one or more stops enroute. It may also involve a change of gauge enroute (starting to get into a gray area....), but it would not involve a connection to another flight.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:29 am

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Technically, that's not true in airline lingo. Nonstop refers to a flight that goes from origin to destination with NO stops in between. Direct refers to flights with one or more stops between origin and destination.
JDiver and writerguyfl like this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: AA: EXP, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; SPG/MAR Life Plat Prem Hertz: Prez Circle
DFW - KOA and DFW - LIH are both seasonal. For example last year KOA ran during whale season (week before Christmas - end of March) and summer break (June-Aug) - https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...rom-june-2018/
airb330 likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 10:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Google Flights is showing DFW-OGG nonstop, Oct 24 to Nov 7:It appears that there are 2 nonstop flights between DFW and HNL:
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Technically, a direct flight could be nonstop, or have one or more stops enroute. It may also involve a change of gauge enroute (starting to get into a gray area....), but it would not involve a connection to another flight.
Yep, more detailed explanation. I recall AA 48, iirc, SFO-DFW-FRA, which included a change of gauge sometimes, change of aircraft always and change of terminal always. “Direct”, like the MD-80 DFW-ORD and in to LHR via DC-10. Same flight numbers, direct, miles earned as if nonstop.
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by airb330 View Post
There's definitely flights to HNL from DFW
AA 5, DFW-HNL, is among the AA flights operating for the longest time with the same flight number. Since at least the early 1980s, I think.
airb330 likes this.