Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft coverage?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Theft coverage?

I was on a flight and my macbook was stolen out of my checked bag. I now know you are not supposed to do that, but I always checked in my electronics. A lesson learned for sure. I moved into my apartment a two years ago and never got homeowners insurance as I thought it'd be a waste since I'm only here for work for couple of years and don't have many things. Another lesson learned. I've been really down because I spent $3000 on the laptop for work and its hurting a lot since Delta wasn't able to do much.

I've been searching here regarding theft at airports and came across credit card protection. So I looked up my benefits on my Chase card and see I am covered for theft under 120 days up to $10,000. I purchased the laptop mid January but I feel like the amount is too high for them to cover. What can I expect from Chase if I make a claim with them? What's the catch? Do I have any other options at this point?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Johidi
I was on a flight and my macbook was stolen out of my checked bag. I now know you are not supposed to do that, but I always checked in my electronics. A lesson learned for sure. I moved into my apartment a two years ago and never got homeowners insurance as I thought it'd be a waste since I'm only here for work for couple of years and don't have many things. Another lesson learned. I've been really down because I spent $3000 on the laptop for work and its hurting a lot since Delta wasn't able to do much.

I've been searching here regarding theft at airports and came across credit card protection. So I looked up my benefits on my Chase card and see I am covered for theft under 120 days up to $10,000. I purchased the laptop mid January but I feel like the amount is too high for them to cover. What can I expect from Chase if I make a claim with them? What's the catch? Do I have any other options at this point?
What's the downside to filing a claim with Chase?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. What is the exact name of the card used to make the purchase? Did you file a police report when you discovered the theft?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. What is the exact name of the card used to make the purchase? Did you file a police report when you discovered the theft?
Chase mileage plus and yes I have police report.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If you have coverage, file the claim. I'm not sure why you feel the amount of the claim is "too high".....you state it's up to $10,000. The cost to replace your laptop is under than amount.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:39 pm
mia

Chase mileage plus .....
Is that the name of the card, or is it Explorer?

I "think" this is the benefits guide:

https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

...and you want to read about the Purchase Protection coverage. Losses from checked luggage may be excluded by this awkwardly worded provision:

What is not covered?
----
Items including but not limited to, jewelry and watches from
your baggage unless it is hand-carried and under your personal
supervision, or under the supervision of your traveling companion
who is previously known to you
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Is that the name of the card, or is it Explorer?

I "think" this is the benefits guide:

...and you want to read about the Purchase Protection coverage. Losses from checked luggage may be excluded by this awkwardly worded provision:
Yes it is the explorer milage plus card. Yeah that seems very vague, do you think they will deny it since it was checked in?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

Yes it is the explorer milage plus card. Yeah that seems very vague, do you think they will deny it since it was checked in?
File a claim. You have nothing to lose.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:47 pm
mia

Yes it is the explorer mileage plus card. Yeah that seems very vague, do you think they will deny it since it was checked in?
It's not vague, but the syntax is poor because they inserted an example with insufficient punctuation. I do think you should submit a claim. I do expect that it will be denied, because they do not cover items from checked bags.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:11 pm

Did you set up “find my mac” on your device?
muji and birdiedouble like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I had a $60 jacket stolen out of a checked bag last year. Ever since, I've been very conscious of how I pack.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I second the advice to file a claim since you have nothing to lose. Don't get your hope too high, as I don't think it is covered if my interpretation of the rules are right. I also have been reading complaints about the insurance company used by Chase dragging it feet even if the claims are proper. (Stories such that they kept insisting the paper work is not in order, or not received)

There are many reasons why a laptop should never be checked, including having a lithium battery in a cargo hold.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:02 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I had a $60 jacket stolen out of a checked bag last year. Ever since, I've been very conscious of how I pack.
Just curious. Was it new and with tag on? I can't imagine someone stealing a $60 second-hand jacket. I can understand if it's a designer jacket worth closer to $600. I wonder if was a TSA agent forgetting to repack it after a search. I often find my checked bag contents look ransacked after TSA opened it (I am very meticulous in how I pack, so unless it's packed the same way I originally did, everything taken out will look out of place), but have been fortunate enough not to experience anything of value missing. I have been able to avoid packing anything that may look valuable to strangers ever since the ban on locking checked bags. If there is anything that I think someone may be tempted into taking, I will just carry it onboard.

LAX
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP should look at the specific policy issued with his specific card. Chances are that the same exclusion will apply as it is a common practice. But, always worth reading the specifics.

I suppose that it costs nothing to make a claim and it is not as though this claim is fraudulent, but it is very much worth one's while to know what one has for coverage.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by LAX
Just curious. Was it new and with tag on? I can't imagine someone stealing a $60 second-hand jacket. I can understand if it's a designer jacket worth closer to $600. I wonder if was a TSA agent forgetting to repack it after a search. I often find my checked bag contents look ransacked after TSA opened it (I am very meticulous in how I pack, so unless it's packed the same way I originally did, everything taken out will look out of place), but have been fortunate enough not to experience anything of value missing. I have been able to avoid packing anything that may look valuable to strangers ever since the ban on locking checked bags. If there is anything that I think someone may be tempted into taking, I will just carry it onboard.

LAX
it was an all weather FootJoy jacket that is perfect to wear a lot of the year where I live. New it might retail for $150 or so, but I found it on a clearance rack at a golf store in Myrtle Beach and I think I paid $50-60 for it. It had a course logo on it (Blueberry something or other), so I'm guessing it was an over run. Unfortunately they no longer make it, but I did find a used one on EBay for $35. I like the jacket so much I found a second one on EBay and bought that too. I had flown into PIE and had no use for it until I returned home and didn't realize for a day or two that it was missing. I remember opening my suit case at the hotel and thinking it looked a little less packed than when I left home but it was a short trip and didn't think anything of it. I did try to pursue it with the airport and TSA but got nowhere. It was like losing a good friend. The logo was a little unique and I have to think it was pilfered at my departure airport so I'd love to run into somebody wearing it some day.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Mar 24, 2019 at 10:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.