Wiki Posts
Search

AA one way fare is double rtrip?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
AA one way fare is double rtrip?

Haven't seen this in years, searching for a GSP to DFW fare strip is $280 one way for the same flights is $450...a sign of things to come? I remember it being like this way back when ...
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They never went away. Just look at some of the smaller markets where the legacies have no competition from the LCCs. Similar fares out of DFW on non-stop's to HSV, RIC, TYS, LEX, GRR, MSN, CMI, BMI, PIA, MLI, SPI, SUX, FSD, etc. DL and UA do the same thing out of their hubs. A one-way may not always cost more than a roundtrip, but there are still many markets where the legacies have roundtrip fare filings and a roundtrip will cost less than 2 one-way's. Generally, these roundtrip fares have various advance purchase and minimum or Sat night stay requirements.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 19, 2019 at 8:47 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Small markets with little competition or where AA has a competitive advantage (e.g., AA offers non stop whereas the nearest competitor must endure a significant diversion through a connecting hub) often operate on the old system where one-way is as expensive as round trip.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
In certain markets -- especially those in which one carrier has a monopoly on nonstop service -- it often makes sense to redeem miles for a one-way, as long as MileSAAver seats can be found.

AA would charge 12,500 miles for the GSP-DFW one-way; BA would charge just 7,500 Avios for the same AA flight.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Krysia
Haven't seen this in years, searching for a GSP to DFW fare strip is $280 one way for the same flights is $450...a sign of things to come? I remember it being like this way back when ...
I saw that same the last time I looked at booking a one way to or from DFW to/from PIA (Peoria) as I was considering burning remaining AS miles on AA. I was going to use an award for 2 seats one way (nonstop) and pay cash for the other
However, the nonstop one way fare was higher than the roundtrip. I don't know if this changed recently or not because I don't normally book one way ticket to/from PIA
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Krysia
That's interesting. I flew one-way AUS-DFW-GSP 2 years ago to pick up a car and drove it back. I think I paid about $130 or so for that ticket, which didn't seem too crazy at all.

Where in the Dallas area are you going? Some people will purchase tickets to Tyler, Waco, Killeen, etc., as those might be less (and close to where they are ultimately going). Obviously there is competition on the AUS-GSP route, but not nearly as much for DFW-GSP.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA lt gold, HH Diamond, marriott pl
flying friend in to visit from GSP , am 7 minutes from DFW airport. In the past used miles one way and a fairly inexpensive purchased ticket ($129) one way..not this time. will watch it for a day or so.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:45 pm

I noticed this when looking to book NYC to Faro. I didn't explore what multicity options do to the fare yet.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Remember that many times those one way fares end up as part of a multi-leg itinerary. I frequently have multi-leg itineraries where I'm visiting multiple cities in one week on one PNR/ticket.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:08 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaydee7
I noticed this when looking to book NYC to Faro. I didn't explore what multicity options do to the fare yet.
This is way more common with one way flights internationally. You will find this on almost every airlines with the exception of low cost carriers. Typically if you book a multi city trip they aren't bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.