Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Setting up "companionships" for purposes of SWU/miles upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum

Would it be against the rules of this forum to create an ask thread where those traveling on AA with an SWU/miles upgrade waitlisted could see if other forum members are on the same flight and also requesting an upgrade, then request/offer "companionship" with them for the purposes of bumping up the lower member's priority? Having just now grasped the nuances of the new AA priority rules, this seems like a community service that could function sort of like lounge guesting, though I understand if it skirts AA terms too much for comfort.

For that matter, would pairing with another member lower an individual's likelihood of receiving an updrade? I.e. if only one seat comes available, will AA skip over the next person on the list if they are listed as traveling with a companion?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Unless I'm mistaken, the rules for sharing status require the lower status individual(s) to be booked on the same PNR as the individual with the higher status. Seems like a rather large logistical (and potentially legal) nightmare.

Edited to add that PNRs cannot (to my understanding) be combined. At best, an agent can notate in one PNR that it is related to another, but this does nothing to transfer status (learned the oh so hard way once when my wife and I both did standby for a flight - screwed up the status sharing for the rest of the trip).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Unless I'm mistaken, the rules for sharing status require the lower status individual(s) to be booked on the same PNR as the individual with the higher status. Seems like a rather large logistical (and potentially legal) nightmare.

Edited to add that PNRs cannot (to my understanding) be combined. At best, an agent can notate in one PNR that it is related to another, but this does nothing to transfer status (learned the oh so hard way once when my wife and I both did standby for a flight - screwed up the status sharing for the rest of the trip).
PNRs can be linked. For example, my mother is flying from BOG to SFO with me; she has no status but as her PNR and mine are linked (after calling the EXP desk), she is seated in MCE with me and is on the UG list with me inheriting my status.

what the OP is asking is possible, but pretty ...... (for lack of a better word). If I get skipped by a pair where one member has higher EQD (or CK) than me, that's fair game - the rules as known going in. This is gaming the system to the detriment of someone who likely wont make it who would have otherwise.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mcrw00
Would it be against the rules of this forum to create an ask thread where those traveling on AA with an SWU/miles upgrade waitlisted could see if other forum members are on the same flight and also requesting an upgrade, then request/offer "companionship" with them for the purposes of bumping up the lower member's priority? Having just now grasped the nuances of the new AA priority rules, this seems like a community service that could function sort of like lounge guesting, though I understand if it skirts AA terms too much for comfort.

For that matter, would pairing with another member lower an individual's likelihood of receiving an updrade? I.e. if only one seat comes available, will AA skip over the next person on the list if they are listed as traveling with a companion?
If a single seat becomes available and a passenger has a travel companion also on the upgrade list, according to many posts the pair will be skipped over and the next most qualified requestor will get the upgrade. (The travel companion does not bpnrcessarily have to be on the same PNR in instances posted about.)

PNRs can not be linked, though TCP annotations can be added to the respective PNRs in the OSI field. See FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread).

The Moderator team has discussed this with regards to the FlyerTalk Rules, any relevant precedents and other facets, and we have decided to close this thread.

Thank you,

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 12, 2019 at 6:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.