Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Comfort vs Exit Row

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Economy Comfort vs Exit Row

Recent GM here. Lately I have taken to not opting-in for EC seat “upgrades” and instead sticking with preselected aisle seats in the exit row for most domestic flights. Main reasons being I like to be able to get up anytime without bothering others (upgrades could throw you in a middle or window seat) and the leg room is generally more spacious. Though I am not that tall, just having room in front makes you feel less crammed in - plus no one can recline into you

Curious where others side on this issue? The new boarding zones does have me thinking about it again.

Last edited by mojo2121; Feb 18, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also GM, but haven’t flown a ton of domestic Y on mainline (3-abreast with middles). I will generally look at the seat map and fare class availability before deciding whether to leave my C+ upgrade request in as the 72hr mark approaches. On my flight the other day, C+ was full so no upgrade anyway and I stuck with my exit row aisle (though apparently non-reclining on the 319. :Td: ). On my flight in a few days, got lucky and upgraded into C+ aisle (though I like windows too). But was ready to call and downgrade if I was put into a middle.

Mom a related matter, seems that with auto-check-in, if you open the app, your checkin will be completed and you won’t have the opportunity to only request C+ window/aisle like you normally would online. So be careful.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
I do not select the auto-C+ upgrade. I would rather have exit row and/or aisle and "control" my upgrade to C+ if there is space available within the upgrade window into a desirable seat.

On lighter days, its funny how C+ will be completely full and I can snag an full exit row all for myself a bit farther back on and MD-88 or MD-90.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Really depends on the situation. Factors for me include connection time (rather get off sooner with a tight connection), aircraft (some exit row seats aren't that much better than c+, no recline ect.), will I take advantage of the free drinks or the seat position to allow laptop elbow room if I need to get some work done.

I will never take a c+ middle "upgrade", if that ever happens I move myself back.

The new boarding process has not influenced it at all for me. I usually boarded at the end of sky zone anyway, so it really makes no difference to me. Sky is still before main, so if you are not in c+ you will still get on before anyone seated around you when boarding in the new sky 'zone' not zone. Not sure why the new boarding process would have any influence on your reasoning to stay in an exit row.

Plus I have noticed that there are very few of us in the new sky 'un'zone. So all the boo hoo about not getting on before someone without status (yet paid for c+) aside, the new sky 'un'zone actually feels more exclusive. Sometimes I am now the only one in that line.
reimero likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I do not select the auto-C+ upgrade. I would rather have exit row and/or aisle and "control" my upgrade to C+ if there is space available within the upgrade window into a desirable seat.

On lighter days, its funny how C+ will be completely full and I can snag an full exit row all for myself a bit farther back on and MD-88 or MD-90.
How do you go about controlling it - calling in and asking for the available seat?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by defrosted
Really depends on the situation. Factors for me include connection time (rather get off sooner with a tight connection), aircraft (some exit row seats aren't that much better than c+, no recline ect.), will I take advantage of the free drinks or the seat position to allow laptop elbow room if I need to get some work done.

I will never take a c+ middle "upgrade", if that ever happens I move myself back.

The new boarding process has not influenced it at all for me. I usually boarded at the end of sky zone anyway, so it really makes no difference to me. Sky is still before main, so if you are not in c+ you will still get on before anyone seated around you when boarding in the new sky 'zone' not zone. Not sure why the new boarding process would have any influence on your reasoning to stay in an exit row.

Plus I have noticed that there are very few of us in the new sky 'un'zone. So all the boo hoo about not getting on before someone without status (yet paid for c+) aside, the new sky 'un'zone actually feels more exclusive. Sometimes I am now the only one in that line.
Yea it was more a consideration for bin space, etc but agree almost everyone is in front now so full clearance for bag space in the back.

Kind of funny, on my flight today it was me and two other DMs in the sky zone and in exit row aisles vs a full EC section of the plane. We were all talking about this very topic on the jet bridge re: seat preference and the weirdness of the small size of the “priority” boarding group

Last edited by mojo2121; Feb 18, 2019 at 6:26 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I take the exit row seat the vast majority of the time, especially on TPAC and TATL flights.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hasn't Delta announced a beta test of restricting Comfort+ upgrades to seat preference (aisle/window/any)?
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I take window/aisle C+ over exit row for for the snacks, free drinks, and further forward cabin position.

I take exit row window/aisle (even limited recline) over any C+ middle seat otherwise. As a GM, you are Sky Priority and those boarding ahead of you who are C+ will not be taking up any of your overhead space, so moving down a boarding group does not matter one bit if you are in an exit row.

I still think it is hilarious that a boarding group with the word "Priority" in the name is 4th out of 8.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Feb 18, 2019 at 8:00 pm Reason: clarification
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
On a 739 I will take 19C or 19D over C+ any day of the week. Best seats on the plane outside of F (and if you have an empty middle next to you, I'd argue they're better than a lot of F seats). 10C is comparable but it is not bookable (held for gate assignment).
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I take the C+ seat. While I get to confirm it at booking as a DM, when I was a GM, I would still opt for the C+. I'm not a fan of exit row seats due to the restricted armrests and sometimes there are drafts from the plane doors.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
More often than not I'll take C+ (as long as it's not a middle seat) but it really does ultimately come down to what equipment I'll be flying and what overall availability looks like.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
I book an exit row aisle most every time on domestic. That's what the free drink coupons are for.

C+ is just too packed w/the upgrade fill-in. Usually way more leg room in the exit row, and I like the fact that I won't get an infant next to me.
browan04 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkP24
I take the C+ seat. While I get to confirm it at booking as a DM, when I was a GM, I would still opt for the C+. I'm not a fan of exit row seats due to the restricted armrests and sometimes there are drafts from the plane doors.
FWIW, the 319 I was on the other day did not have restricted armrests; tray tables pulled down from the seat in front, and had a long "extention" to pull toward you. So exit row aisle was a *great* seat.
I think this varies by plane type, and not sure how accurate or up-to-date SeatGuru is on this topic.

And I also noticed a surprising dearth of people surge forward when SkyPriority boarding was called.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Hasn't Delta announced a beta test of restricting Comfort+ upgrades to seat preference (aisle/window/any)?
I was just looking into this, because mom is flying on Friday and right now C+ is completely full (but F is relatively open so I am hoping some C+ will open up for her once DMs/PMs are upgraded into the F seats). Found these threads:

Comfort Plus Middle Seat Upgrade

Comfort+ Opt out middle seat only sometimes?

Will see what the options are when she checks in...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.