Economy Comfort vs Exit Row

Reply

Old Feb 18, 19, 4:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233
Economy Comfort vs Exit Row

Recent GM here. Lately I have taken to not opting-in for EC seat “upgrades” and instead sticking with preselected aisle seats in the exit row for most domestic flights. Main reasons being I like to be able to get up anytime without bothering others (upgrades could throw you in a middle or window seat) and the leg room is generally more spacious. Though I am not that tall, just having room in front makes you feel less crammed in - plus no one can recline into you

Curious where others side on this issue? The new boarding zones does have me thinking about it again.

Last edited by mojo2121; Feb 18, 19 at 4:54 pm
mojo2121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:01 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,320
Also GM, but haven’t flown a ton of domestic Y on mainline (3-abreast with middles). I will generally look at the seat map and fare class availability before deciding whether to leave my C+ upgrade request in as the 72hr mark approaches. On my flight the other day, C+ was full so no upgrade anyway and I stuck with my exit row aisle (though apparently non-reclining on the 319. :Td: ). On my flight in a few days, got lucky and upgraded into C+ aisle (though I like windows too). But was ready to call and downgrade if I was put into a middle.

Mom a related matter, seems that with auto-check-in, if you open the app, your checkin will be completed and you won’t have the opportunity to only request C+ window/aisle like you normally would online. So be careful.
ijgordon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:17 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: DTW
Programs: DL - GM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, SPG - Plat, Omni - Black, Avis - First
Posts: 741
I do not select the auto-C+ upgrade. I would rather have exit row and/or aisle and "control" my upgrade to C+ if there is space available within the upgrade window into a desirable seat.

On lighter days, its funny how C+ will be completely full and I can snag an full exit row all for myself a bit farther back on and MD-88 or MD-90.
DTWflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:26 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: BNA
Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Posts: 357
Really depends on the situation. Factors for me include connection time (rather get off sooner with a tight connection), aircraft (some exit row seats aren't that much better than c+, no recline ect.), will I take advantage of the free drinks or the seat position to allow laptop elbow room if I need to get some work done.

I will never take a c+ middle "upgrade", if that ever happens I move myself back.

The new boarding process has not influenced it at all for me. I usually boarded at the end of sky zone anyway, so it really makes no difference to me. Sky is still before main, so if you are not in c+ you will still get on before anyone seated around you when boarding in the new sky 'zone' not zone. Not sure why the new boarding process would have any influence on your reasoning to stay in an exit row.

Plus I have noticed that there are very few of us in the new sky 'un'zone. So all the boo hoo about not getting on before someone without status (yet paid for c+) aside, the new sky 'un'zone actually feels more exclusive. Sometimes I am now the only one in that line.
reimero likes this.
defrosted is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 5:58 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
I do not select the auto-C+ upgrade. I would rather have exit row and/or aisle and "control" my upgrade to C+ if there is space available within the upgrade window into a desirable seat.

On lighter days, its funny how C+ will be completely full and I can snag an full exit row all for myself a bit farther back on and MD-88 or MD-90.
How do you go about controlling it - calling in and asking for the available seat?
mojo2121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:20 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by defrosted View Post
Really depends on the situation. Factors for me include connection time (rather get off sooner with a tight connection), aircraft (some exit row seats aren't that much better than c+, no recline ect.), will I take advantage of the free drinks or the seat position to allow laptop elbow room if I need to get some work done.

I will never take a c+ middle "upgrade", if that ever happens I move myself back.

The new boarding process has not influenced it at all for me. I usually boarded at the end of sky zone anyway, so it really makes no difference to me. Sky is still before main, so if you are not in c+ you will still get on before anyone seated around you when boarding in the new sky 'zone' not zone. Not sure why the new boarding process would have any influence on your reasoning to stay in an exit row.

Plus I have noticed that there are very few of us in the new sky 'un'zone. So all the boo hoo about not getting on before someone without status (yet paid for c+) aside, the new sky 'un'zone actually feels more exclusive. Sometimes I am now the only one in that line.
Yea it was more a consideration for bin space, etc but agree almost everyone is in front now so full clearance for bag space in the back.

Kind of funny, on my flight today it was me and two other DMs in the sky zone and in exit row aisles vs a full EC section of the plane. We were all talking about this very topic on the jet bridge re: seat preference and the weirdness of the small size of the “priority” boarding group

Last edited by mojo2121; Feb 18, 19 at 6:26 pm
mojo2121 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:32 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: on the path to perdition
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 4,019
I take the exit row seat the vast majority of the time, especially on TPAC and TATL flights.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 6:58 pm
  #8  
Moderator, Delta & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 27,818
Hasn't Delta announced a beta test of restricting Comfort+ upgrades to seat preference (aisle/window/any)?
3Cforme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:42 pm
  #9  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The ATL
Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Plat Premier, HHonrs Diamond
Posts: 241
I take window/aisle C+ over exit row for for the snacks, free drinks, and further forward cabin position.

I take exit row window/aisle (even limited recline) over any C+ middle seat otherwise. As a GM, you are Sky Priority and those boarding ahead of you who are C+ will not be taking up any of your overhead space, so moving down a boarding group does not matter one bit if you are in an exit row.

I still think it is hilarious that a boarding group with the word "Priority" in the name is 4th out of 8.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Feb 18, 19 at 8:00 pm Reason: clarification
FlyBitcoin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:49 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 1,810
On a 739 I will take 19C or 19D over C+ any day of the week. Best seats on the plane outside of F (and if you have an empty middle next to you, I'd argue they're better than a lot of F seats). 10C is comparable but it is not bookable (held for gate assignment).
ethernal is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NYC
Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold; Ex UA 1K & AA EXP
Posts: 1,285
I take the C+ seat. While I get to confirm it at booking as a DM, when I was a GM, I would still opt for the C+. I'm not a fan of exit row seats due to the restricted armrests and sometimes there are drafts from the plane doors.
MarkP24 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:05 pm
  #12  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Posts: 57
More often than not I'll take C+ (as long as it's not a middle seat) but it really does ultimately come down to what equipment I'll be flying and what overall availability looks like.
reimero is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 8:37 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA, AA
Posts: 64
I book an exit row aisle most every time on domestic. That's what the free drink coupons are for.

C+ is just too packed w/the upgrade fill-in. Usually way more leg room in the exit row, and I like the fact that I won't get an infant next to me.
browan04 likes this.
OroroT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 9:30 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,320
Originally Posted by MarkP24 View Post
I take the C+ seat. While I get to confirm it at booking as a DM, when I was a GM, I would still opt for the C+. I'm not a fan of exit row seats due to the restricted armrests and sometimes there are drafts from the plane doors.
FWIW, the 319 I was on the other day did not have restricted armrests; tray tables pulled down from the seat in front, and had a long "extention" to pull toward you. So exit row aisle was a *great* seat.
I think this varies by plane type, and not sure how accurate or up-to-date SeatGuru is on this topic.

And I also noticed a surprising dearth of people surge forward when SkyPriority boarding was called.
ijgordon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 19, 10:26 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SFO/SJC, BWI
Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Posts: 9,114
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
Hasn't Delta announced a beta test of restricting Comfort+ upgrades to seat preference (aisle/window/any)?
I was just looking into this, because mom is flying on Friday and right now C+ is completely full (but F is relatively open so I am hoping some C+ will open up for her once DMs/PMs are upgraded into the F seats). Found these threads:

Comfort Plus Middle Seat Upgrade

Comfort+ Opt out middle seat only sometimes?

Will see what the options are when she checks in...
Zorak is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread