Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Mathamatics

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Upgrade Mathamatics

Thinking of booking a trip with the family. 4 people in total. 1 is a 1k, 1 is a PP. What is the best way to go about bookings, keeping upgrades in mind.

4 people on one reservation?
or 2 reservations of two ppl.

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What kind of upgrade?

Is it more important that everyone get an upgrade, or the elites get an upgrade?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Are you trying to upgrade both ways or just one-way (if so, which)?
How are you trying to upgrade?
Routing / connections?
What sub-optimal results are acceptable? is all or none or partial?
Any under 15-year-olds?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Gold, AC 75K, Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Bills Mafia
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you trying to upgrade both ways or just one-way (if so, which)?
How are you trying to upgrade?
Routing / connections?
What sub-optimal results are acceptable? is all or none or partial?
Any under 15-year-olds?
I would be willing to book as two one ways if it helps.

Upgrade via the upgrade window, complementary premiere upgrade.

YUL-ORD-PHX
TUS-ORD-YUL

The two non-elites are under well under 15

Thanks

Last edited by bcard519; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:41 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bcard519

I would be willing to book as two one ways if it helps.
Upgrade via the upgrade window,
YUL-ORD-PHX
TUS-ORD-YUL
The two non-elites are under well under 15

Thanks

I interpret 'upgrade window' to mean CPU. You should not take an upgrade that leaves one of the under-15y passengers in economy.

So in this case, I think the best strategy is book two reservations in each direction. On each reservation have one elite and one non-elite. Then this is up for debate, but I would check in as late as possible and if not upgraded by that time, do not split to go on the visible list.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
2 one-ways for 2 pax each.
findark likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As long as the sub-15s are in economy, one of the adults needs to remain behind also. Minors can not be in a different cabin from adults (not always enforced but for younger ones, it is more likely to be enforced.

Are these mainline or UX flights?

But first, 4 on PNR will not work
If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
2-2 with an elite on each will be needed but the Plat's chances will be lower
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:35 pm

I should note that one-way vs round-trip shouldn’t make a difference as far as upgrade likelihood is concerned.

Also, what is the ORD-YUL segment? I fly that route a lot and while there are some UX170s/175s, most of the flights are either UX 145s or Air Canada 175s, neither of which will give you upgrades via CPU (though Air Canada may op-up if they are oversold in back and undersold up front, but your difference in UA status won’t matter because all Air Canada knows is that you are *G).
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
I should note that one-way vs round-trip shouldn’t make a difference as far as upgrade likelihood is concerned.

Also, what is the ORD-YUL segment? I fly that route a lot and while there are some UX170s/175s, most of the flights are either UX 145s or Air Canada 175s, neither of which will give you upgrades via CPU (though Air Canada may op-up if they are oversold in back and undersold up front, but your difference in UA status won’t matter because all Air Canada knows is that you are *G).
United Metal all the way, 175’s to and from ORD
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Agree. 1K/child and PP/child maximizes UG possibilities on this itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.