Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Need idea/help getting A-List before Y/E (Shy 1 flight/2k points)...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

In short, I have taken 24 flights this year and need only 1 more before year-end but have no travel plans. Also, I have 33,035 of the 35,000 points required.
Unfortunately, I can't apply for SW credit card and don't have an active one at present.

Any suggestions on how else I can meet the requirement before year-end?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
In short, I have taken 24 flights this year and need only 1 more before year-end but have no travel plans. Also, I have 33,035 of the 35,000 points required.
Unfortunately, I can't apply for SW credit card and don't have an active one at present.

Any suggestions on how else I can meet the requirement before year-end?
Pretty sure you are going to have to fly. CC is spend the only alternative these days.

In the deep past there have been some promos for Tier points, but have not heard of any for years.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:10 am

Fly or buy the TQPs. That’s it.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
In the deep past there have been some promos for Tier points, but have not heard of any for years.
It’s been an option the past few years. Buying TQP’s for 2019 A-list
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Panther02

It’s been an option the past few years. Buying TQP’s for 2019 A-list
Well, ok, but I do not consider that a “promo” exactly.

It’s also insanely expensive.

But it is an option for some folks, though I did not get that email and I do not see it in my account under “promotions.”
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Quite simply, get on an airplane and fly somewhere. You don't mention where home base is, but there are many options out there. Time is a wastin'.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:44 am

Just a reminder for if you decide to fly, you can book two one ways and use points (if you have them) for the return flight. No need to spend cash for two segments when you only need one.

Or, of course, if you want to take a new year's trip leaving in December and returning in January, you could book two paid one ways and have one segment count for 2018 and one for 2019.

Speaking of new year's, if you do book a round trip, make sure you don't time it so that you fly out in December and return in January. I believe both segments would end up credited to 2019, defeating the whole purpose.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:25 am

Searching OPs post history ("help me with this, help me with that" ), it looks like he's in Tampa. You could do TPA-FLL-TPA on 12/30 or 12/31 for ~$100 and 7,000 points on either day with short layover, could get it done in 3 hours total. Do it on 12/31 at night and watch the fireworks from the sky!

Could also do the same thru ATL on 12/23, 12/25, 12/29
steved5480 and ryw like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mdword
Speaking of new year's, if you do book a round trip, make sure you don't time it so that you fly out in December and return in January. I believe both segments would end up credited to 2019, defeating the whole purpose.
I know points don't post until you complete travel of both segments but are segments posted the same way for sure? I can't check it's been years since I booked a round trip.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Points or cash. No big difference in value. I have family that wants to use my points since they are "free". They seem to miss the fact that when I run out of points that THEY used, I then have to pay cash.

It does make a difference when working on A-List - cash is king in that case. I would surely book one way segments though. And, in the above scenario, if the OP just wants to get that trip and not stay anyway, book a return flight an hour or two after arriving in FLL.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I know points don't post until you complete travel of both segments but are segments posted the same way for sure? I can't check it's been years since I booked a round trip.
Hmm, good point. I don't know if the segments post differently from points as it relates to the year end. I book one ways myself and only fly round trips on occasion when someone else booked me that way. On a round trip midyear, my segments for both flights were credited after the return was completed.

Maybe someone flying a year end round trip this year can let us know how it ends up posting.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. While I don't have the ability to fly at present, it was worth exploring all of the options. Oh well.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:10 pm

Man, that's a bummer. No way would I give up on A-List at 24 flights. Without a CC, though, flying is your only option =(

EDIT: And the buying, of course, but the pricing hurts =/
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by synergistic
Man, that's a bummer. No way would I give up on A-List at 24 flights. Without a CC, though, flying is your only option =(

EDIT: And the buying, of course, but the pricing hurts =/
I agree, assuming the amount of flying in 2019 is similar. I would plan an afternoon flying a short hop and back. Take a good book, movies or some work to do along the way.

Then again, if you travel solo and really do not care too much about boarding order, or last minute changes... A-List would not be worth anything.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 5:16 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
You could log in here and see if Southwest gives you an offer for purchasing the remaining TQP though my guess is that it'd be at least several hundred dollars (and more expensive than a single flight): https://www.southwest.com/account/ra...uy-tier-points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.