Wiki Posts
Search

Buying TQP’s for 2019 A-list

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Buying TQP’s for 2019 A-list

I received an email today offering me the chance to buy the remaining TQP’s needed for A-list. It doesn’t appear to be targeted. Terms and Conditions:

Purchased tier qualifying points (TQPs) will only be applied toward your A-List qualification for the calendar year ending on December 31, 2018. If you earn A-List status prior to December 31, 2018, you will maintain A-List status for the rest of the 2018 calendar year and all of the 2019 calendar year. Purchased TQPs do not count toward A-List Preferred and/or Companion Pass. The purchase of TQPs is only available during the promotional period of November 30, 2018, at 12:01 a.m. CST through December 30, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. CST. The maximum amount of TQPs a Member may purchase for his/her individual account is 20,000 TQPs. Purchased TQPs are not redeemable Rapid Rewards® points. Purchased TQPs are nonrefundable. Member account information is an estimate for a specific point in time. Upon qualifying for A-List status, you will receive an email within 72 hours of qualification verifying you earned status. Please reference your Rapid Rewards® account on Southwest.com® for the most up-to-date information on available points, tier qualifying points or flights, Companion Pass qualifying points or flights. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply and can be found at Southwest.com/rrterms. ©2018 Southwest Airlines Co.

Pricing as follows:1,000 TQPs:
$175
2,500 TQPs:
$350
5,000 TQPs:
$650
7,500 TQPs:
$875
10,000 TQPs:
$999
15,000 TQPs:
$1,199
20,000 TQPs:
$1,350
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I got the same email. While I am a bit short for A-List qualification for next year, the prices seem very high to me. I also got an email about status match to A-List for 90 days and then fly 6 segments in that time frame to extend it to the full year. I might barely squeak buy to qualify for A-List renewal for next year. This was my first year of A-List and I only started working on it mid-year, So in a normal year (e.g. full year), I wouldn't have any trouble qualifying. So for now, I'll see where I land at the end of the year and if I am short, I will try the status match route (I am preferred on United). Six one ways in three months will be easy to do to get it extended for the rest of the year. Worst comes to worse, I buy EB for awhile until I get back up to A-List. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
the prices seem very high to me.
That has always been the case for these offers. In a free market economy it seems that we have to plan ahead or at least do our homework or else pay through the nose. Economists call it price discrimination.
tradercj likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by nsx
That has always been the case for these offers. In a free market economy it seems that we have to plan ahead or at least do our homework or else pay through the nose. Economists call it price discrimination.
Agreed. I'll probably just drop back down to no status until I re-earn it in 2019. While not the same as A-List, EB Check-In was good enough for me in the past and will be again during the interim. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Dec 8, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
When I lost A-List, the only thing I missed about losing "status" is the use of the Fly-By lanes.

I would say I missed the WiFi, but not having something is oddly better than having something that never seems to work.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:21 am

You didn't miss auto check-in and the better boarding position?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmbolp
You didn't miss auto check-in and the better boarding position?
I didn't. As a COS, I preboard and have to check in at the counter anyway. They are nice perks.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:58 am

Ah, got it
Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:18 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
When I lost A-List, the only thing I missed about losing "status" is the use of the Fly-By lanes.
Today, it seems most 'fly-by' TSA lanes have been replaced by TSA-Pre lanes and A-list bag checks lanes are usually longer than the self check kiosks.

I have never tried to do A-list stand-by on the kiosks - this is where the A-list bag checks have been useful to me. . Not sure if it is possible or if it works.
ursine1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.