Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL appears to have another BOS buildup coming

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

According to the weekly OAG thread on airliners.net, Delta this week loaded flights from Boston to DCA, EWR and ORD:

Looks like BOS-DCA is 6x daily, all operated by Republic E175s, BOS-EWR is 4x daily, all operated by Republic E175s, BOS-ORD is 5x daily, operated by Republic E175s.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if these all switched to A220s before they go up for sale — either that or this is what Delta's planning to do with E-175s newly freed up by A220s.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I find it a bit odd that they're adding new routes 10 months out. Most airlines are just wrapping up or have just finished planning for international flights next summer (7 months out). Does DL even have gate space at ORD? They just added RDU-ORD. Where are the RJs coming from? CVG?

Last edited by ab2013; Dec 9, 2018 at 11:21 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’d be very happy to see DL resume BOS<—>DCA, but I won’t be holding my breath for it
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
I find it a bit odd that they're adding new routes 10 months out. Most airlines are just wrapping up or have just finished planning for international flights next summer (7 months out). Does DL even have gate space at ORD? They just added RDU-ORD. Where are the RJs coming from? CVG?
Originally Posted by jrl767
I’d be very happy to see DL resume BOS<—>DCA, but I won’t be holding my breath for it
Yeah, I'm even more puzzled about DCA, unless they are majorly downsizing somewhere from DCA (CVG?)
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by radiowell
Yeah, I'm even more puzzled about DCA, unless they are majorly downsizing somewhere from DCA (CVG?)
Looks like the slots are coming from the LGA shuttle, down to 10x daily.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Where are the RJs coming from? CVG?
The routes where E75/CR9s are being replaced by the (already announced) A220s is freeing up a lot of 2-class RJs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
YX only has 16 E75s that fly for DL, so this BOS expansion will eat up a bunch of those. (They also have 22 E70s that fly for DL and they aren't afraid to swap as needed.) Those planes are currently on routes like LGA-BOS & LGA-DFW, which as mentioned above, are being moved to the A220s. I'm always happy for more service out of BOS, and I'm especially happy for the return of BOS-DCA!
Gewurztraminer and navi_jen like this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Glad to see a BOS-ORD also, although that is a bit surprising.
navi_jen likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer

Looks like the slots are coming from the LGA shuttle, down to 10x daily.
Ouch - this had already been cut from hourly, eliminating the 11am and 1pm southbound. I wonder which other 2 frequencies are going (though 6x daily for BOS suggests they're taking 2x from LGA and 4x from somewhere else). Lack of hourly on the shuttle makes it much less useful but DL already had pretty much exclusively E70s (rather than E75s), and my guess is Acela takes more traffic NYC-WAS than NYC-BOS (the train trip to WAS is almost a whole hour faster than to it is to BOS). I wonder if BOS-ORD/DCA will be marketed as Shuttle (only difference nowadays being pretty much free beer/wine in coach).

Not sure about ORD, but my guess is 10 months out is when they get the 5 gates back from Southwest at Logan. I believe in ~March 2018 is when AA is consolidating on the old US Airways side of B / that work will be finished, and it will free up the old AA pier for refurb/preparation for Southwest (I think all they're doing is re-painting the ramp to take 8x 737s rather than 7x mix of 757/767/777)
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Looking at the schedule, DCA-LGA has been cut down. They've also eliminated the 0600 to CVG, and the corresponding 2130 to DCA. DCA-CVG is now 3x daily on mainline. DCA-DTW also lost a frequency.

Not surprised about DCA-LGA. The Acela has been eating the shuttle's lunch for years now. As for CVG, I use that 2130 flight a lot so I'm disappointed, but it's always nice to see mainline replace RJs.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:25 am
Original Poster

June/July 2019 is when Delta gets the Southwest gates back.

The DCA slots come from the shuttle, plus one each from RDU, CVG, DTW and one more that I don’t recall.

This is is definitely real, but who knows if it will be successful.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Overall at DCA:

DCA-LGA: -2
DCA-CVG: -1
DCA-DTW: -1
DCA-ATL: -1
DCA-RDU: -1

DL must be all-in on this to consider touching ATL. Time will tell.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Dec 10, 2018 at 8:29 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:33 am

These are certainly routes DL needs if they want to fully fill out BOS, but man I don't see how BOS/ORD doesn't just set money on fire. BOW/EWR and DCA is at least it's UA/B6 and AA/B6 as the competition.

But to ORD we're looking at AA, B6, UA , NK to ORD and WN to MDW. Fares are already less than $200 each way. I don't even know what DL is going to have to offer to elbow in to this market.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Press release is out: https://news.delta.com/delta-adds-mo...-washington-dc

Some interesting nuggets including a SkyClub expansion, taking full ownership of Terminal A by 3Q 2019, and BOS-CLE also being launched, 3x daily on April 1:

Additionally, in partnership with Massport, Delta plans to assume operations at all gates at Logan's Terminal A by the third quarter of 2019.

Delta also plans by 2020 the expansion of its Delta Sky Club near gate A18, including new showers, expanded seating and a reimagined food and beverage area.

"Delta is uniquely positioned to take Boston to the world in 2019," said Charlie Schewe, Delta's Director — New England Sales. "Our broad service and award-winning products in the airport and on board our aircraft further cement Delta as Boston's No. 1 global carrier taking Bostonians to the destinations they value most — both domestically as well as internationally."
It would seem the BOS-CLE add was a last minute reaction to United pulling out of the market this weekend, as the other flights are available for sale, but BOS-CLE won't be available until Dec. 22, even though it starts sooner.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kop84
These are certainly routes DL needs if they want to fully fill out BOS, but man I don't see how BOS/ORD doesn't just set money on fire.
Maybe. But one could have said the same thing when they started LGA-ORD (against ~30 AA/UA flights), or LAX-SFO. Those have both have proven durable for Delta.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.