Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR luggage problems

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

LHR luggage problems

I usually travel with hand baggage only but had to check a bag in on the way back from IST due to the laptop issue. 45 mins after landing and with only a handful of bags on the belt, I lost patience and hunted down the BA baggage hall customer service chap. Interesting discussion.. he kept saying "see? there.. scanned onto the belt at 20.38, 20.39.. " etc.. There's me thinking that was when a whole bin was scanned, but it was individual pieces. I can only surmise that there was some kind of extra (customs?) check happening to cause such a slow process. He also mistakenly showed that tagging a bag as priority when not flying in a premium cabin is worthless. My tagged bag was in a bin with the rest of the ET passengers.
He then asked if I was on twitter, which I am not, explaining that it's the best way to get things actioned quickly since they have a team of people monitoring it for complaints. "Hmm" I said.. "maybe works if you're a well known celeb, but would they be bothered about some weary road warrior moaning at having to wait an hour for his suitcase?" He went quiet.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I"Hmm" I said.. "maybe works if you're a well known celeb, but would they be bothered about some weary road warrior moaning at having to wait an hour for his suitcase?" He went quiet.
Actually in my experience the Twitter team have been very good and sorted several things out very quickly for this nobody.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
There’s a problem with the baggage system in T5. Queues for Y check in are huge, there’s even a queue for J check in!
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I waited literally for an hour for one bag yesterday after flying in Club on the 461 from Madrid (777). Many others waiting too.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver,
45 minutes a couple of weeks back coming back from Frankfurt. Unacceptable. At the time I spoke to a really friendly customer service advisor in the baggage hall and she just said it was because the airport was so busy
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
Originally Posted by cameramaker
There’s a problem with the baggage system in T5. Queues for Y check in are huge, there’s even a queue for J check in!
I keep being surprised at the fact that the J queue is often 10-20 minutes long, and heck, even the First Wing is overflowing. I mean, granted I always fly from London on Fridays but...

That now explains a little
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR
When I came back from LAX the other week I noticed that there was a little box marked out on the floor in front of the baggage belt with a sign saying for the use of F Passengers from JFK and LAX - is it just a roped of area to stand or are F bags on those routes handled differently and why only those two routes?
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by 137677
When I came back from LAX the other week I noticed that there was a little box marked out on the floor in front of the baggage belt with a sign saying for the use of F Passengers from JFK and LAX - is it just a roped of area to stand or are F bags on those routes handled differently and why only those two routes?
Hi,

I believe ground staff will take the bags off the belt and put them there. I think JFK was the first trial route ( and probably LAX next)

Regards
TBS
Old Aug 17, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Old Aug 17, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
So this went really well. Simple LHR - NCE hop resulted in 3 out of 4 bags being delivered in NCE. Didn’t notice at the time but the check in agent at J check in didnt affix the little stickers to the top/side of the cases, so think one of the baggage labels must have torn off.

Dad has arrived with absolutely nothing. We logged a claim with Avia at NCE who generated a ticket. Got to the hotel and updated the info which was entered all wrong by the handling agent. Indicated to collect at the airport and updated the info except it was refusing all 3 of our email addresses.

Is there anything else we can do but for calling the baggage line first thing?

Also, what/when can we claim for the delay? Pretty inexcusable failing to deliver a bag on an O&D hop from LHR when checking in T-2.5 hours at J check in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.