Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A quick guide to BA and partner Premium Economy products

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A quick guide to BA and partner Premium Economy products

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Arrow A quick guide to BA and partner Premium Economy products

Having finally sampled for the first time BA's refurbished 747 World Traveller Plus seat earlier this week, I thought I'd put my hand to a quick guide to BA's WT+ seats to see how they compare with the premium economy products available elsewhere onboard BA's oneworld partner aircraft.

This thread roughly coincides with American Airlines formal launch of its own Premium Economy product due in December I believe, although the embodiment programme got underway earlier this year. Iberia is also in the process of fitting PE to its fleet of A330 and A340 aircraft and with its A350 coming on stream next summer, there is an increasing range of products to choose from

Here, I used a template I developed for the A quick guide to BA partner long haul business class products thread which allows for a quick comparison of each product.

Here are the contents, listed by airline in alphabetical order:
If you spot any errors or omissions, please let me know.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:12 am Reason: Add Level
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

American Airlines

http://www.explorethenewamerican.com/premiumeconomy/

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:15 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:01 am
Original Poster

British Airways

Soft product:
  • Bedding:
    Thin blanket and small pillow (not particularly plump);
    Amenity kit: items such as toothbrush/paste, eye mask, and ear plugs available on request
  • Catering:
    Pre-departure drinks: Prosecco, orange juice, and water from London and some outstations such as HKG; generally orange juice and water from outstations;
    Bar service offering aligned with WT;
    Meal service varies depending on length of flight. All flights receive a CW main dish (choice of two) as part of the main meal service.
  • Dedicated toilets:
    Generally no. Other than the 747s which have one dedicated toilet, these on-board facilities are provided for both WT and WT+ passengers.
  • Lounge:
    No access unless you are a SCH or GCH

Minor quirks and other notes
  • 2010 Recaro seats
    These seats feel substantially more comfortable and spacious than the other two types;
    Recline and return to upright can be a bit stiff so small adjustments are recommended. Hold the release button with one hand and use the other to regulate the movement as you apply your body weight. Also extend some sympathy to the passenger infront in the event their seat bolts into the reclined position. It most probably wasn't their intention;
    The noise cancelling equipment is fitted within the seat and is prone to interruption if your neighbour fiddles with their seat power connection;
    When the seats infront are reclined, it is impossble to escape from a window seat without the assistance from your aisle seat neighbour. So if you are someone who enjoys a regular stroll, ask for an aisle seat.
  • Refurbished 2000 seats on 747 86J aircraft
    Great IFE system with a super responsive handset controller - Maybe too responsive as pressure from the thigh can activate the controls - mainly bringing up the menu mid film
  • The U word...
    Okay, its what you are all thinking so I'll bring this up. WT+ cabins are comparatively small so flight ops regularly move WT+ passengers forward in the event WT is oversold. A healthy mindset is one without any expectation of this happening but if it does, it is such a wonderfully sweet feeling. Of course, reserving any type of special meal will immediately remove you from consideration, so think about dining/picnic options prior to boarding. Pre-booking your meal from the standard menu has no effect on your chances though.
voweffekt likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:32 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific

Last edited by Prospero; Oct 23, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Iberia

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:06 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Japan Airlines

It is worth noting, unlike other oneworld airlines JL provides lounge access to its Premium Economy passengers
Original Poster

Level

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 18, 2018 at 4:10 am
Original Poster

OpenSkies

Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Qantas

Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:42 am
Original Poster