Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist

Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda

Osaka, JP

Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda [Master Thread] (4 Photos)

Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda

First time staying at a Moxy. Reminded me a bit of an Aloft. Funky design and lots of messages everywhere suggesting food or drinks. Booked a room for one for about 9,000/yen.

Took a look at the gym. Not bad, but nothing outstanding.

Lounge area is pretty comfortable, with lots of couches and big windows. Some arcade games as well.

They had an elite member promotion which was free highballs from 5-6pm. I missed it but they gave me one at 9pm anyway.

Breakfast was decent, a bit better than a typical Japanese business hotel, but not a full buffet like a Japanese Courtyard/Four Points or Marriott, but sufficient.

Check In

Via the app I requested an early check-in and upgrade to king and after about an hour the responded with an OK. Check-in was smooth and everyone I spoke to had pretty good English and were bright and cheery.

My plan included two free drinks from a limited menu. I tried the Moxy Slime (blue curacao and 7up) and also had a glass of Hoegaarden beer (not a pint). They gave me the choice of 500 points, FB amenity (not sure what), US$10 FB credit (not sure, but maybe 1,100yen?), or breakfast. I chose the latter. They gave me two breakfast tickets, but that might have been a mistake as I only booked for one person.2140ED81-3D46-4E50-93E5-853D9BCC05BD.jpegF137DDB7-AB82-49BA-91FE-00CA1A06368C.jpeg773E679E-C9C4-44E3-B77E-8217DAC94163.jpegFB2A1983-E48A-4640-B25E-2ED08C0ABA2F.jpeg

Room

The room was very clean and had furniture hanging from a rack on the wall (Moxy style I guess). Big TV on wall. Bed was very comfortable. It seemed more a queen than king-size, but at least it was a single mattress. Often "king" in japan means two singles side-by-side. My upgraded room had a bath, though it was really only 1/2 size. Large size, no-brand shampoo/conditioner/body soap.

The location is a good kilometer from Osaka JR station. The area north of the station has been under development for some time, and eventually it may be a happening place.

Would you like to write a review on the Moxy Osaka Shin Umeda?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Enroute on the shinkansen currently. Thanks for the report, will see if anything has changed.

Had a push notification at 2PM that my room was ready while I was still in Tokyo station.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Enroute on the shinkansen currently. Thanks for the report, will see if anything has changed.

Had a push notification at 2PM that my room was ready while I was still in Tokyo station.
How was it? I think with this proximity to the JR station, I'm leaning towards this over the aloft and other moxy in Osaka.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by BThumme
How was it? I think with this proximity to the JR station, I'm leaning towards this over the aloft and other moxy in Osaka.
This hotel is near JR Shin-Osaka?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
No it is near Osaka/ Umeda station.
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Any recent stays here? Looking to stay here for a couple of nights towards the end of the year.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
Any recent stays here? Looking to stay here for a couple of nights towards the end of the year.
I did three nights here over 2023 NY Eve to 02 Jan. The location is convenient for taking either train to/from airport (6-7 min walk from Fukushima Station), or even the Airport Bus at Herbis Plaza (15 min walk). Also a very easy walk to the Osaka Station complex, and all the shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. that it has to offer. And, from Osaka Station, you can take train or subway all over the city.

I got the room I booked (well, it's a Moxy, after all, and all rooms are similar in size).

Breakfast is ok with a few hot dishes, some salads and fruit, yogurt, and bread/pastries.

I had locked in a very low points redemption over half-year prior to my stay. I would not hesitate to stay here again if the rate or redemption was good.
Old Feb 27, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I did three nights here over 2023 NY Eve to 02 Jan. The location is convenient for taking either train to/from airport (6-7 min walk from Fukushima Station), or even the Airport Bus at Herbis Plaza (15 min walk). Also a very easy walk to the Osaka Station complex, and all the shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. that it has to offer. And, from Osaka Station, you can take train or subway all over the city.

I got the room I booked (well, it's a Moxy, after all, and all rooms are similar in size).

Breakfast is ok with a few hot dishes, some salads and fruit, yogurt, and bread/pastries.

I had locked in a very low points redemption over half-year prior to my stay. I would not hesitate to stay here again if the rate or redemption was good.
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Stayed again recently on a bed-run for elite nights and a bunch of bonus points. Rate was 17,000, about double what I paid during the good old days (COVID).
Smaller room than last time (they are all small though). About the same size as a Choice/Comfort Hotel really, though shower/toilet/vanity a bit bigger.

At check in they said "Thank you for being elite" and offered a welcome drink (beer, coffee or cocktail). Breakfast or 500 points or 1,000 off any order from bar. Late 4pm checkout was approved (didn't stay past noon though).

Free soft drinks throughout the day from bar. Cheap 500 happy hour from 4-6pm. Two years ago it was 1 hour free highballs for elites.

Breakfast was the same as last time. Drip coffee or use a drink ticket for Nespresso (normally 800).

Room had a Netflix button on TV but it didn't work. They moved me to a room where it was supposed to be hooked up but didn't work there either. They gave me two more drink tickets for the hassle as an apology.

Gym is pretty basic, two cardio machines, a bench and a few dumbbells up to 12kg. A punching bag and another piece of equipment that seemed to be missing pieces.

One annoying American woman was at the bar complaining about the menu prices. "Why is it the same as a 5-star hotel?" which made me think she hasn't stayed at a Marriott 5-star in Japan. In yen you are better off eating at any nearby restaurant, but compared to US prices the Moxy is still pretty cheap. Moxy burger in NYC is $25+tip, so 4,500. Osaka Moxy price is 2,000 (no tip!).

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Apr 27, 2024 at 8:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.