Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Renaissance by Marriott Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel

159 South He Nan Road Shanghai, CN 200010

Renaissance Yu Garden, Shanghai, China (0 Photo)

Renaissance by Marriott Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel

I don't have any pictures of the Yu Garden Ren, but since a poster in the main Shanghai thread mentioned that we don't have a dedicated thread for this hotel, I'm kicking things off.

Key points:

1. The Ren is quite close to the Westin, but it sits on top of a subway station, whereas the Westin requires a 5 minute walk to Yuyuan or NJ E Road

2. All rooms on the north side of the hotel have good, but not perfect, views of Lujiazui

3. I would choose it over the Zhongshan Park Ren or the CY in Zhabei if the price difference is less than Y200 per night

4. Lest I say it again, the room service robot will definitely bring a smile to your face

Room

My mom and uncle ended up in a standard room with two beds.  It was good enough for their needs, though nothing special.  

Service

If you stay there, please order a towel so you can get the robot experience.  

I actually dislike Yuyuan because it is a tourist trap, but the hotel is on Line 10, which is quite useful.  

Overall

If the price is right, and you want to be on Line 10 (not everyone does), this hotel is a good choice.  

Dining

Breakfast is okay, and happy hour is not so good.  

Check In

Check in is very easy.  The staff is quite nice across the board. 

Renaissance Yu Garden, Shanghai, China

Would you like to write a review on the Renaissance by Marriott Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 28, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Has anyone else stayed here ?
Old May 28, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Has anyone else stayed here ?
I stayed here for six nights last year.

They gave me a room on the same floor as the executive lounge which was obviously convenient but it wasn't a suite or anything.

The lounge offering was fine but nothing exceptional. I ate breakfast there and also my evening meal most evenings after returning from work (I live in China so am not so entranced by local dining experiences any more). Booze ran until late in the evening.

The hard product is good and I don't remember any service issues. I didn't use the robot to order a fresh towel. Location is good and I walked around the local area which seems quite touristy and to the Bund. The hotel has a rooftop area for views at night over Shanghai IIRC.

I moved from here to the Le Meridien for the weekend and greatly preferred my corner suite and the lounge experience in Le Meridien. The lounge is a great space at LeM and the food was a notch up from the Ren. The only other comparison I have is that old St Regis that's now a Luxury Collection called the Hongta. I thought that was ok but it's a tired old product and unless it's cheap it's not worth it.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: ex-SPG Platinum, Marriott LG, *G United
Here for a night, before journeying on inland. Hotel is nice enough and reasonably priced.. 'Studio' suite upgrade. The review above is still on point.
moondog likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vanabb
Here for a night, before journeying on inland. Hotel is nice enough and reasonably priced.. 'Studio' suite upgrade. The review above is still on point.
A HUGE improvement for the area (that also applies to the Westin) is the existence of line 14 that passes through Yuyuan (e.g. one stop away from Lujiazui and three stops away from JA temple). Line 10 is still useful, as well, of course. The bottom line is that the hotel is definitely no longer in no man's land.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Has anyone else stayed here? The proximity to two subway lines is a major draw for me. I'm a Titanium Elite. What's the breakfast and elite recognition like? Is an evening food spread at the lounge? Is it any good?

I wonder how the Renaissance Zhongshan compares to here?
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Has anyone else stayed here? The proximity to two subway lines is a major draw for me. I'm a Titanium Elite. What's the breakfast and elite recognition like? Is an evening food spread at the lounge? Is it any good?

I wonder how the Renaissance Zhongshan compares to here?
The area still sucks. Stay at the Ren Zhongshan and youre walking distance to a happening commercial district on Yuyuan Road with lots of cafes, bars and restaurants. Also across the street from the relatively new Raffles mall since you mentioned malls in another post.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The area still sucks. Stay at the Ren Zhongshan and youre walking distance to a happening commercial district on Yuyuan Road with lots of cafes, bars and restaurants. Also across the street from the relatively new Raffles mall since you mentioned malls in another post.
moondog told me to pick Ren Yu Garden instead. 👀
Old Dec 25, 2023, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
moondog told me to pick Ren Yu Garden instead. 👀
I didn't exactly tell you to pick Yuyuan, but I marginally prefer Henan Rd to Zhongshan Park. The amazing thing is that both are effectively equidistant from JA Temple now.

I shall also note that the Yu Garden Ren location is almost identical to the Westin's location, except it happens to have the sweet metro access (Westin is halfway between two stops).
Old Dec 25, 2023, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I didn't exactly tell you to pick Yuyuan, but I marginally prefer Henan Rd to Zhongshan Park. The amazing thing is that both are effectively equidistant from JA Temple now.

I shall also note that the Yu Garden Ren location is almost identical to the Westin's location, except it happens to have the sweet metro access (Westin is halfway between two stops).
As I had told you, I'll be more or less dressed for Taipei and Hong Kong weather. I'll bring a pair of gloves, but other than that I don't think I can be outside for long. I just want to check out Shanghai as it's been more than four years since I was there. I'm sure lots have changed. I wanna have some basics like XLB and other Shanghainese food before I leave.

For the same date, Ren Zhongshan is 833/night with taxes. I guess it's a no-brainer to go with Zhongshan over Yu Garden then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.