Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Bellevue Hotel Philadelphia (Unbound; former Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Bellevue Hotel Philadelphia (Unbound; former Park Hyatt) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:54 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by cybaslacka
Ok so as an example if I do full pts booking at Park Hyatt Paris, where the standard room limits to 2, and I arrive with total of 3 guests and get upgraded to a room where the cap limit is 3, I would still get charged for the 3rd guest... Is that what you are saying?
On and Off the topic for the actual question
There is typically a difference between Domestic North American properties and European/ Asia Pacific properties and other select International properties
In some cities there is a per guest charge past the first guest on revenue rooms
Award no issue with additional charge typically if upgraded to a room that allows more guests
There is no one size fits all rule.
Varies country to country hotel to hotel
Always best to contact the individual property to be clear/certain
Old Jan 27, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Tripple bed question

Hi All-

Its been 10-ish years since I was at this property, so could use some help with ideas.

I'm putting together a weekend Philly trip with two other friends of mine and would like to stay at the Hyatt. The issue is that I need three beds.

Obviously, I could do two separate rooms, but would prefer to get a suite with ideally two queens + a roll away or a sofa bed. Does anyone know if such a thing exists here?

Alternatively, do any of the suites have an option for a connecting room to be added on?

I'm trying to get some answers from some of my Hyatt internal contacts making the connection to Bellevue, but thought I'd solicit some suggestions here as well.

Thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Not sure about the renovations

Hyatt at The Bellevue

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Hyatt at The Bellevue

200 South Broad Street Philadelphia, PA US 19102

Not sure about the renovations (0 Photo)

Hyatt at The Bellevue

2 night stay last week, used a DSU since the wife is with and our sleep schedules are a little different.  Put in a 1BR avenue suite on the 16th floor facing a courtyard.

Parking:  Self $35, Valet with i/o $45.  Not very well marked if you have never been here before.

Checkin was smooth.  I called the FD with a request early in the day.  The FDM took my info and checked me in.  Key request, amenity choice and up we went.

Room was clean.  Into a foyer/hallway.  Small sink, coat closet and full length mirror in the foyer. 

BR was clean, well lit.  Bathroom a little small, but typical for a 100 year old hotel.  Standard amenities, nothing special.  Full size, probably 42" TV in BR.  Accessible plugs on both nitestands.  Folding french doors into the LR. 

Sofa, (unsure if sleeper), coffee table, 2 sitting chairs, desk, small refrigerator.  Desktop 110 & USB chargers.  Room was already renovated, but there were some SERIOUS concerns. 

Carpets are clean.  Towels are thin.  Think Fairfield Inn or YMCA.  The Bathroom mirror had a significant chip in it, along with about a 6" crack.  The coffee tablehad a large water stain, like someone set a water pitcher on it.  The sofa, well based on my 30 years of healthcare experience, had some stains that seriously looked like bodily fluids on the front edge of the sofa.  We chose to sit on the chairs.

Diamond breakfast.  1st morning, called RS, asked if DB was available for delivery, told yes with a $22 limit per person.  Crab Benedict and lobster spinach omelette.  Both DELISH, the omelette could choke a horse.  A PHENOMENAL dinner in XIX, lobster risotto was great.  Next morning, breakfast in XIX, large buffet. 

Valet was always prompt.  Food court in the basement of the bellevure building, nothing great.  Palms restaurant closed for renovations. 

On checkout, the RS breakfast was on the folio.  I explained that we called and asked, told a dollar amount.  Promptly removed without an issue.  I would stay again, and will be this weekend again. 

Not sure about the renovations

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt at The Bellevue?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Agree with etsmyers -- not sure that the renovation is such big or good news. The last few times we have stayed it has been in xx02 rooms: essentially Diamond upgrade to corner room with nice sitting areas. But the bathrooms are still small, the dressing closets still funky; and my wife, in particular, thinks the old design stuff worked better when it was still looking like an old hotel. Anyhow, to each, their own tastes ....

All this said -- and I don't know why I am writing this, since room prices would stay lower if this place were less solicited -- this strikes me as one of the gems of the Hyatt system. I mean, it's a category 4, so for the $75 AF on the Chase Hyatt Visa you can get a room at a very cool hotel in a terrific location in Philadelphia. (I'm talking about the free night here.) Also, all three aspects of XIX -- the restaurant, the bar, and the breakfast area -- are exceptional. These (if not the rooms and the service) are equivalent to features at many so-called luxury hotels, at affordable if not cheap prices. Very cool environment.

Anyhow, we find the place super-functional, especially when the rooms are cheap (which seems less and less frequent since the renovation; hello C+P!).
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Stayed in a renovated "view room" in early April using annual cat 4 free CC night. My first stay after losing Diamond status. Previously always upgraded to one of the larger corner rooms. This time no upgrade as plat. Updated Decor is OK, but to be honest I think I liked the dated, worn old Park Hyatt style more. Location good in Philly, but without diamond perks do not think I will stay here anymore. Lots of wierd noises and clunks all night long and I could never quite figure out where they were coming from. elevator? Moving furniture around above? Luggage being wheeled down the hallway?

Last edited by schriste; Apr 11, 2016 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 10, 2016, 2:15 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by etsmyers
Room was already renovated, but there were some SERIOUS concerns.
I think the issue is that you stayed in a suite. All of the suites, along with any regular rooms that connect to a suite, were renovated in the first phase of renovations... which were completed, IIRC, about four years ago. So there's likely already a lot of wear and tear in those rooms, unfortunately.

It's also interesting (though, with the significant lag in time, not surprising) that the property went with a completely different design for the second phase of renovations, which were just completed, which covered all of the remaining rooms as well as the hallways.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Most of the renovated rooms are excellent ... A few are missing touches, like the table in my room this past week had no power outlet nearby (they have replaced most desk areas with floating tables under a lamp) ... In most of the rooms, they provide a nearby power bank - 6 outlets

They did leave some of the old furniture ... Some in not great condition ... A few rooms are complete end to end ... Bathroom renovations with walk in showers are nice ...
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Stayed last month on annual credit card night. We really enjoyed it. Nice historic building and it worked well for us. Great location and wonderful breakfast there. I wouldn't pay the very high rates that I see at this hotel, but will definitely go back at a reasonable (weekend) rate or P&C.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know how much and how many people the Diamond breakfast benny covers at this property?The agent checked me in was a little unsure of this.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by dat4life
Does anyone know how much and how many people the Diamond breakfast benny covers at this property?The agent checked me in was a little unsure of this.
It's supposed to cover every person who is a registered guest in the room that the Diamond is staying in (e.g. up to 4 in a double double, or up to 3 in a King)
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
Hyatt vs. Sofitel

Hello all,

I'm a lawyer and we have a trial in Philadelphia in September. Since I'm apparently the pickiest partner about lodgings, I'm making the recommendation to the client. This will be a negotiated group-rate thing, so status-based extras and loyalty don't really come into the picture. (My Hyatt status is only platinum anyway.)

Hyatt is .4 miles closer to court, but I have heard that the Sofitel is nicer. Price is basically a wash. Does anyone have experience with these two hotels (putting aside experience with room upgrades, etc.) to weigh in on whether Sofitel is materially better and should cancel out the extra walk (or need to take cars)?

(We also looked into the Logan but for an extra $10k I'm not going to push that too hard on the client.)

Thanks
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by shza
Hello all,

I'm a lawyer and we have a trial in Philadelphia in September. Since I'm apparently the pickiest partner about lodgings, I'm making the recommendation to the client. This will be a negotiated group-rate thing, so status-based extras and loyalty don't really come into the picture. (My Hyatt status is only platinum anyway.)

Hyatt is .4 miles closer to court, but I have heard that the Sofitel is nicer. Price is basically a wash. Does anyone have experience with these two hotels (putting aside experience with room upgrades, etc.) to weigh in on whether Sofitel is materially better and should cancel out the extra walk (or need to take cars)?

(We also looked into the Logan but for an extra $10k I'm not going to push that too hard on the client.)

Thanks
Sofitel is nicer.But their guest program sucks to put it politely or Id likely be their perfect customer and spend a lot with them
The Sofitel Philadephia has a more polished hard product if we are referring to the guest room quality.
Sofitel team members some have attitudes and come off snooty and inflexible.

Hyatt Bellevue wins for me as it is Gold Passport recognition and upgrade friendly,do a great breakfast better than Sofitel typically,
has historic significance,wonderful caring front desk folks and the greatest fitness center in Philadelphia if not one of the very best in the country
For that reason when the price is competitive.I'm there
I also like the Bellevues location better and there is a Palm Restaurant in the lobby as well as easy walking distance to Capital Grill, Mortons and a host of others
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How much would the RC cost? I assume it would be even closer to your courtroom and it's generally not expensive for a RC.

I like the Hyatt at the Bellevue and I'd pick its location over the Sofitel (where I've never stayed).

The Rittenhouse is also good and in an excellent location, but it would probably be somewhat more expensive and farther from the courthouse.

Westin might be a possibility, but avoid the Sheraton and Marriott as well as the Loews and the one almost across Broad Street from the Hyatt which was a DoubleTree last time I checked.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How much would the RC cost? I assume it would be even closer to your courtroom and it's generally not expensive for a RC.

I like the Hyatt at the Bellevue and I'd pick its location over the Sofitel (where I've never stayed).

The Rittenhouse is also good and in an excellent location, but it would probably be somewhat more expensive and farther from the courthouse.

Westin might be a possibility, but avoid the Sheraton and Marriott as well as the Loews and the one almost across Broad Street from the Hyatt which was a DoubleTree last time I checked.
No RC at the Hyatt Bellevue
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
No RC at the Hyatt Bellevue
RC = Ritz Carlton, NOT Regency Club. The Bellevue was once a PH but AFAIK it was never a HR. However, it does have a tiny "secret" lounge with espresso machines, bottled water, and very light (mostly wrapped such as granola bars) snacks. As a Diamond, my key card gets me in the door, but I don't know what their access rules are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.