Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Platinum going to Asia for holiday

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Flying Blue Platinum, SPG Platinum, BMI Gold, Hyatt Gold,
SPG Platinum going to Asia for holiday

Hi everyone,

I have an AMEX companion ticket to use with SAS by February 2013, and I have booked a C flight to Bangkok for my wife and me.

I have been reading a lot on the forum today, about Starwood properties in Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore. I am looking for either a Villa property with pool (preferably) or a regular room with pool. Looked at W Koh Samui, but at 50 000 points / night, it is too much for me. Anyone know of a good Cash + Points property in these countries?

All tips are much appreciated

Regards
Thor
Old Dec 29, 2012, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Check the new W Singapore Sentosa. IIRC it has pool rooms/suites.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Alaska 100k, Hyatt Globalist
Keep an eye on starpicks rate at the W Bali - we were there for 5 nights at 200/night - plat breakfast at Starfish Bloo was amazing
Old Dec 29, 2012, 9:41 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Le Meridien Khao Lak Spa Pool Villa.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:40 am

W Singapore's are normal rooms, with additional lap pools - doesn't sound like what you want

W Koh Samui's are all villas, all with full pools - personally like it a lot - but don't think u will ever find C&P here

LM Khao Lak - make sure you ask for the new villas

LM Koh Samui - has very nice villas at the top end - but at that price might want to opt for W. Lots of C&P options but the standard plat upgrade is to a large room with a common pool shared with about 4-5 other rooms

Good luck!

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Jan 4, 2013 at 2:05 am
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold, Lufthansa Senator, Flying Blue Platinum, SPG Platinum, BMI Gold, Hyatt Gold,
Thanks for your help guys.
Checking with LM Koh Samui if possible to pay for an upgrade if using points. I have suite night awards as well, but to my understanding they can only be used to upgrade to a pool access suite.

/Thor
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thorhansen
Thanks for your help guys.
Checking with LM Koh Samui if possible to pay for an upgrade if using points. I have suite night awards as well, but to my understanding they can only be used to upgrade to a pool access suite.

/Thor
Interesting reply from LM Koh Samui:

Thank you for your e-mail, we are please to inform you that if you use suite night award will be confirm by SPG 5 days before arrival. For upgrade form Pool Access Suite to Ocean Front Pool Villa is price THB15,431/room/night. This rate will be use after your booking confirmed under suite night award from SPG and subject to room available on that the date when you would like to confirm.

Should you have any further information please contact us.

Regards,
Tippawan

So, I have an upgrade quote from Pool Access Suite to Ocean Front Pool Villa for THB 154 310 for my 10 days stay. This means that I would have to spend either 80 000 points, or 40 000 points + USD 600 for an Verandah suite, then use my 10 suite night awards to upgrade to a Pool access suite, and then pay an additional THB 154 310 for the upgrade to an Ocean Front Pool Villa.

I have checked SPG.com and found that the rate for an Ocean Front Pool Villa is THB 16 999 pr night (THB 1568 more expensive than the upgrade offer).

In addition to this, the upgrade is based on availability. And I dont get any award nights or points.

Not the best deal in my eyes

/Thor
Old Jan 2, 2013, 1:46 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC

The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa

Map| 7 Reviews | 14% Recommended

21/4 Moo 1 A.Muang Ratsada, TH 83000

Westin Siray Bay (0 Photo)

The Westin Siray Bay. Use SPG50 and 1 Bedroom Sala Pool Villa is $348 AUD ++/night. We stayed a week, spent all day in the pool, and the Platinum cocktail hour upstairs at Prego with acoustic band was amazing.

We checked into the W Koh Samui and left after 2 days of a 7 night stay. Expensive, all style and no substance.

We love the Westin so much we're returning in a month.

Note that the beach is not IMO swimmable.

Westin Siray Bay

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Siray Bay Resort & Spa?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:03 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
westin siray bay has the room types you are looking for.. it is maybe not the most awesome property but good value for money at this room type....

and you are very flexible phuket has a lot of options also try to look into
the Le Meridien Khao Lak... They have decent pool villas but they are not cheap depening on the season...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:01 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I stayed recently at the Westin Siray Bay and had a suite upgrade. This is a fantastic property. Its just a bit of the beaten track.

I stayed at the Le Meridien in Bangkok and its my new favourite in Bangkok. I also received a suite upgrade and they have a great breakfast buffet and the happy hour is an item from the menu at the bar.

I also stayed at the Sheraton Towers that has a nice club lounge but chances at a suite upgrade are very very slim. I used cash and points to maximize my value.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfong007
I stayed recently at the Westin Siray Bay and had a suite upgrade. This is a fantastic property. Its just a bit of the beaten track.

I stayed at the Le Meridien in Bangkok and its my new favourite in Bangkok. I also received a suite upgrade and they have a great breakfast buffet and the happy hour is an item from the menu at the bar.

I also stayed at the Sheraton Towers that has a nice club lounge but chances at a suite upgrade are very very slim. I used cash and points to maximize my value.
Le Meridien in Bangkok is also one of my favorites. Was also upgraded to a fantastic room. That in combination with champagne for breakfast and free drinks at happy hour made the wife forget all the days that I travel

The Westin is not my kind of hotel. Dont get me wrong. The service is excellent, it is clean and all that. But I dont like the style.

So for this trip, I have finally decided now. I have booked five nights at Le Meridien Koh Samui, and then five nights with W Retreat Koh Samui. Really looking forward to the W stay, as it has exactly what I enjoy about a hotel. All style and service.

/Thor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.