Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No shorthaul flights on Xmas day?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:10 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Would suggest the car rental option if only to stay mobile over the holiday period.
Have you actually tried to rent a car on Christmas Day? Last time I did, booking a month in advance I could only get a diesel Ford Transit van. Avis and Hertz have nothing available at LHR on 25/12 this year. Haven't checked the others but either the agencies are closed or they are already booked out.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Big shops and supermarkets and shopping centres are not allowed to open on easter sunday....
Indeed so. This forced deference to the Christian resurrection myth irritates a lot of people.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:20 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by hsmall
Indeed so. This forced deference to the Christian resurrection myth irritates a lot of people.
That's why on Christmas Day you have to thank God for Muslims. Most corner shops they own/run in London are open and although you pay a premium if you've have forgotten some vital ingredient needed for your Christmas lunch, they are your saviour.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 1:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Gosh what a lot of assumptions and incorrect information!

Years ago - and I would go back no further than 1991 - very little flew on Christmas Day. Aircarft would come in land and practically nothing went out. Then the thaw started and there were flights on Chrismas Day - but these were mostly Long Haul. I remember that my God Daughter had her penpal arrive on Air France on Christmas Day 1992 - and I know that I was spared at the last minute doing a LAX on Christmas Day the same year (standby - not called). I had queried the AF arrival - but no - when we got to T2 they were pouring out. I gather that the flight was less than 20 mins as there were no delays and no holds.

Petrol has been freely available in the UK on Christmas Day for 25+ years. In fairness, it is the biggest public festival in the UK. It is Thanksgiving and 4th July all rolled into one. We have never had a National Day, indeed there is a lot of dissent about why we do not but there it is. Thanks to the Asian community there are small shops open even on Christmas Day. I am uncertain as to the opening arrnagements for Easter, but suspect that that with the Sunday trading rule - and please before sneering at the UK - no such rule exists in France, Italy, or particularly Germany. France (unless the law has changed recently) permits Sunday trading on 5 Sundays a year. Two of these are usually used during the sales and the other threee would be in the run up to Christmas and between Christmas and the New Year depending how the dates fell on the calendar.

Avis and Hertz at LHR are open on Christmas Day. At LGW they have been shut in the past.

Railways and buses have never operated over Christmas and most people think that at the most family of festivals that it is only fair that those who work there should be with their families. The same applies to domestic flights - there is not a great deal of demand as most people have got to their destinations by then - or at least tried to.

I believe that lots of domestic flights in the USA do not operate on Thanskgiving. I have seen ORD like a ghost town and I believe that the AC closes early that day - or at least did.

All over Europe, and indeed all over the world there are public holidays where everything closes down. I have to admit that retailing apart, lots of companies close for the entire Christmas New Year break - the UK gets less public holidays than most of Europe - there always seems some excuse or another for this - but Christmas is the great exception and there it is.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Everyone knows we don't fly on Christmas to avoid hitting Santas sleigh.
Don't be silly; he's landed by sunrise.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Avis and Hertz at LHR are open on Christmas Day.
In that case there is no car rental availability whatsoever at Christmas.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:12 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
What's public transport like on Thanksgiving?
ThanksWhat? in the UK.... Everything runs as normal.

For any domestic travel on Xmas day/Boxing Day, hire a car and enjoy the empty roads!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
For any domestic travel on Xmas day/Boxing Day, hire a car and enjoy the empty roads!
From whom at LHR?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
I absolutely agree Pucci (and who on this forum would not agree with La Pucci on all matters without question ). Every country needs a general holiday.

My point was on the unnecessary respect given to easter, a festival of ever diminishing importance to an ever diminishing number of people....
Old Oct 13, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
Everyone knows we don't fly on Christmas to avoid hitting Santas sleigh.
Surely he has TCAS if he wants to deliver presents in the EU?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:48 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by hsmall
I absolutely agree Pucci (and who on this forum would not agree with La Pucci on all matters without question ). Every country needs a general holiday.

My point was on the unnecessary respect given to easter, a festival of ever diminishing importance to an ever diminishing number of people....
Harry - this is your red letter day. For that piece of absolute truth dressed up as flattery - you are now declared a Mucci. Please let Moomba know later on as he is probably busy fighting the banking crisis single handed as we speak.

Phil - I bet you stand in for Rudolph with your (censored) so bright!! It always shone at night but I thought that was the drink?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:04 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
For us, the 'no shorthaul flights on christmas day', causes an annual inconvenience.

My wife flies over to Sweden a few days before christmas, to spend christmas eve with her mother (The main day in Sweden is christmas eve).

She then flies back on christmas morning, to spend christmas day in the UK.

Because there are no BA flights, she has to fly SAS.

Perhaps I should suggest she catches a lift with santa instead.

bjorns
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Public transports shuts down on Christmas Day because there is little for it and most of the staff want holidays to be with their family, for religious and non-religious reason, if only for the excuse to get drunk and argue with each other. Offices shut down for a long period (remember that UK businesses generally give more holidays than in the US).

Public transport runs on Easter since it is less customary to gather the family as they may still be annoyed with each other since Christmas was not long gone. Hence, there is more demand for public transport and more staff willing to work (suspect extra pay is involved).
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Harry - this is your red letter day. For that piece of absolute truth dressed up as flattery - you are now declared a Mucci. Please let Moomba know later on as he is probably busy fighting the banking crisis single handed as we speak.
Pucci, your unworthy servant is most deeply honoured - after a year or so on FT I feel I have finally arrived. Do I get a Mucci title or is that too presumptuous? If I do can I have Mucci du Droit Informatique - or indeed anything other than Mucci de Hoy and Hartlepool.

Last edited by hsmall; Oct 13, 2008 at 12:18 pm Reason: getting the markup language right
Old Oct 13, 2008, 11:59 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by KenJohn
Public transports shuts down on Christmas Day because there is little for it and most of the staff want holidays to be with their family, for religious and non-religious reason, if only for the excuse to get drunk and argue with each other. Offices shut down for a long period (remember that UK businesses generally give more holidays than in the US).
So I take it kids with separated/divorced parents cannot be with both families on Christmas Day, unless they happen to live close by?

For tourists (and yes I've had my share of Christmas' in UK) the almost complete shut down is a major annoyance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.