Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No shorthaul flights on Xmas day?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

No shorthaul flights on Xmas day?

So I was looking to fly to LHR from the US on December 24th and then fly to Manchester on the morning of the 25th. It appears neither BA nor BMI fly LHR to MAN on Christmas. Yet they still have longhaul flights. Is there a specific reason they do longhaul but not shorthaul that day? What are my other options?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Lack of demand for shorthaul travel. There are a couple of routes that still have (reduced) service on Christmas Day, such as Brussels.

Your options are to take the train/bus/drive, or to stopover in London and fly up next day, or to fly across to London a day earlier or later, or to find a direct flight to Manchester.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Lack of demand for shorthaul travel. There are a couple of routes that still have (reduced) service on Christmas Day, such as Brussels.

Your options are to take the train/bus/drive, or to stopover in London and fly up next day, or to fly across to London a day earlier or later, or to find a direct flight to Manchester.
I very much doubt that you will find ANY public transport operating on xmas day. Exceptions maybe the Heathrow and Gatwick Express but thats it as UK plc is more or less closed on Xmas day.

I looked into getting a domestic flight oop north on xmas day a few years back and the only way it could be done was to go via AMS on KLM.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Domestic flights, public transport? Forget it !

While you might not like the choice, if you really want to get to MAN on the 25th, get a rental and drive. The roads will be dead and the drive easy.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

It's just strange to me because in the US, airports are open as are trains on Christmas day. Seems odd though that BA and others still fly to and from the rest of the world on that day. Unless there is a coach I guess I'll have to fly earlier.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:24 pm

I find it hard to believe, but according to expedia, VLM are operating 2 flights from London City to Manchester on Xmas day! One at 1530 costing £86 and another at 1850 costing £71. I'm pretty sure this is a mistake though as i'm sure LCY is closed on xmas day... anybody know for sure?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:25 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
It's normal on these shores I have to say. Best bet is, if you can, travel a day earlier (with everyone else ).
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
ahh, but this is England...

Where things shut down if the poor overworked train drivers work in the dark, have to work for more then a few hours at a time, if its too cold, if its too warm, if there's snow on the tracks, if there's more then one wet leaf on the tracks, or if they want another £20k a year... So christmas?? You have to be kidding!!
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by terpfan101
It's just strange to me because in the US, airports are open as are trains on Christmas day. Seems odd though that BA and others still fly to and from the rest of the world on that day. Unless there is a coach I guess I'll have to fly earlier.
What's public transport like on Thanksgiving?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by koksy
I find it hard to believe, but according to expedia, VLM are operating 2 flights from London City to Manchester on Xmas day! One at 1530 costing £86 and another at 1850 costing £71. I'm pretty sure this is a mistake though as i'm sure LCY is closed on xmas day... anybody know for sure?

Hi koksy,

From the airport website ( June 2008 newsletter on page 2) LCY is closed on Christmas day;

http://www.londoncityairport.com/Dow...9_0608_WEB.pdf

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:40 pm

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi koksy,

From the airport website ( June 2008 newsletter on page 2) LCY is closed on Christmas day;

http://www.londoncityairport.com/Dow...9_0608_WEB.pdf

Regards

TBS
So what would happen if one booked on VLM?
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I guess the idea for operating long hauls is for crew and aircraft positioning sake rather than for the travelling public's.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
What's public transport like on Thanksgiving?
In the US, I would expect fewer things to be closed for Thanksgiving than for Christmas, and for the most part, most transportation to not be affected by either. Is this a general question, or do you have some specific form of transportation in mind?

Not transportation related, but to give a general idea of how the two holidays compare here, most grocery stores are open a half day on Thanksgiving, but only a few on Christmas at all.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by djk7
In the US, I would expect fewer things to be closed for Thanksgiving than for Christmas, and for the most part, most transportation to not be affected by either. Is this a general question, or do you have some specific form of transportation in mind?

Not transportation related, but to give a general idea of how the two holidays compare here, most grocery stores are open a half day on Thanksgiving, but only a few on Christmas at all.
Fair enough, I thought more closed on Thanksgiving...
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Don't forget that the UK is still an ESTABLISHMENT country - there is still an OFFICIAL religion (you can't be a member of the Royal Family if you are not part of the ESTABLISHED religion, for example).

The second highest feast of that religion is Christmas (after Easter), so it is not to be unexpected that Christmas Day is the second-most venerated day of the year.

Not surprising then that the country shuts down.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.