Search

Thinking about switching to EB

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TG*G VA Plat
Thinking about switching to EB

Hey guys,

I'm a TG ROP member whos just moved from Australia to Norway. My flying is usually 2 or 3 return MEL-OSL trips each year, plus the occasional trip to the US.

I've always been a TG member and have enjoyed the privlidges of *G with them, particulary the two year validity of the *G and the GUP (guranteed gold upgrade) given on reaching *G each time around.

However, since moving to Norway, I'm wondering if I should switch to EB. Most of my Australia - Norway flights are done in either C or and a C/Y combination with SK C to BKK and then TG Y to Australia. One of the things I like about EB is that you get 200% for the C class travel, and as a Norway resident I only need to get to 45000 basic points.

I've had a good read thru the FAQ and the EB page on the SAS website, but I would like somebody to explain what sort of basic points I will earn on *A flights. I realise that on the SAS flights I get basic points as displayed in the tables, but when I fly, say UA K class SYD-SFO, how are my basic points calculated? Is it done on miles flown like other airlines or some other way. I understand it depends on the booking class

Another bonus to switching would be the EB Mastercard.

Also, what are upgrade availability like on the long haul flights. CPH-BKK, CPH-NYC etc.

I read alot of bad things about EB, but alot of that seems to be centered around the 25% earning rate but since all my flying is long haul, it would all be in at least V class, or in C.

Thanks for any and all input,

Cheersm
AB
Old Jul 21, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
I wouldn't waste my time changing to EB, you do know that TG fly direct from Oslo to Bangkok, so no need to fly SK at all.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 11:35 pm

Programs: AC Elite *G :: LH Sen *G :: IC Royal Amb :: PC Plat :: HH Diamond
I left EB years ago for various reasons… look around here on the SAS board to read all about the devaluation of the program.

Stick with TG ROP, switch to M&M (which is good when traveling premium classes) or take a look at BD (many around here seems like that program) with it’s easy elite qualification and the possibility use miles+cash for rewards.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:09 am

Programs: EBG
Resently SK is offering lower price in C to BKK then TG. After completing 3 TG flights in C this summer, I must say that their service has dropped a lot since last year, and the food they serve is below the standards of their competitors.

You say you fly SK in C to BKK, and then I must say that I would have chosen EB insted of ROP. I give you some reasons:

If you have EB silver, you get 15% more points on SK flights, and if you have EB Gold you get 25% more points on SK flights.

For EBGold you need 45 000 points yearly. In ROP you need 50 000.

If flying biz class you get 200% EB points, but only 125% ROP points regardless of wich StarA metall you fly.

If you are doing intra-european legs on SK, you will earn more points with EB then ROP, as of ROP will calculate the actual milage, but EB has a fixed point pr leg policy. So OSL-ZRH in biz with SK gives 2400 points (plus 15/25% if silver/gold) and ROP will only give 1800.

So if I where you, I would definatly change to EB.

BFN
Old Jul 22, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
Originally Posted by Gustaf
...or take a look at BD (many around here seems like that program) with it’s easy elite qualification and the possibility use miles+cash for rewards.
I'll second bmi's diamond club. Good earn rates, and excellent redemption rates. Not too hard to reach *G either.

Also note that EB usually doesn't give confirmed upgrades, it's an at-the-gate thing.

I guess you've considered the oneworld (BA/QF) option too?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 4:17 am

Programs: SK EBG *G, Flying Blue Silver, Hertz President Circle, Hilton H Gold, Starwood Gold, BA Silver
Go with Eurobonus, One R/T OSL-MEL in C will put you a few thousand short of EBG. SAS is generall good with op ups, you can use points to upgrade from all booking classes, and the 15/25%. If you do a lot of US you can also consider CO who will join *A in a few months, they have direct EWR service. SAS also has the EB Mastercard that allows me to rack up a ton of miles
Old Jul 22, 2009, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies guys.

The biggest advantage for me is the 200% in C class. As was said above, one of my OSL-MEL returns would put me just short of gold for the year, as opposed to TG who only offer 125%.

I guess the thing I like about TG is that their upgade availability is not too bad and can be confirmed at time of reservation. A quick look with KVS/ANA Tool for the US and BKK routes looks like SK doesn't have too many upgrade seats available.

Can anybody just tell me how the basic miles for other *A flights are calculated? Ie, SYD-SFO with UA? How many miles would this earn. Is it done on the miles flown?

Cheers,
AB
Old Jul 22, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by Airbumps
Can anybody just tell me how the basic miles for other *A flights are calculated?
The basic rule is (Mileage rounded up to nearest 100) * (fare class multiplier)

where the fare class multiplier can be:
- 2.0 (200%) for (most) business and first
- 1.0 (100%) for "normal" economy (and some business, like with AC)
- 0.25 (25%) for low economy

Whether a given fare class belongs to "normal" economy or low economy depends on the airline flown.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ramo
The basic rule is (Mileage rounded up to nearest 100) * (fare class multiplier)

where the fare class multiplier can be:
- 2.0 (200%) for (most) business and first
- 1.0 (100%) for "normal" economy (and some business, like with AC)
- 0.25 (25%) for low economy

Whether a given fare class belongs to "normal" economy or low economy depends on the airline flown.

Thanks Ramo

So the bonuses apply to common Biz class with *A carriers as well, not just SAS? Ie J/C/D with TG will give me 200%?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD *S, VS Gold, AFKL Petro Club
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/src/html/d...earnmiles.html

2x miles with DC as well. No 15/25% bonus, but better redemption rates, especially part cash part miles. In your case, I really think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you choose EB over DC.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gustaf
...take a look at BD (many around here seems like that program) with it’s easy elite qualification and the possibility use miles+cash for rewards.
Originally Posted by Echo J
I'll second bmi's diamond club. Good earn rates, and excellent redemption rates. Not too hard to reach *G either.
Originally Posted by Echo J
I really think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot if you choose EB over DC.
I certainly agree that bmi's Diamond Club is a lot better than SAS's EuroBonus. After five years as EBG, I switched to DC a year and a half ago. However, the OP may not be aware that Lufthansa has just bought out bmi and that it is almost certain that DC will be merged into LH's Miles & More, probably sooner rather than later. In those circumstances, I think enthusiastic recommendations of DC need to come with a warning to that effect.

cheers,

Henry
Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

The problem with bmi is that I never fly with them. Its TG or SK to Oz several times a year. No real intra Europe travel, just several long hauls.

Cheers for the replies guys
AB
Old Jul 22, 2009, 1:10 pm

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
The problem with bmi is that I never fly with them. Its TG or SK to Oz several times a year. No real intra Europe travel, just several long hauls.
you can still earn your miles that you fly with SAS to your bmi Diamond Club account and as the others have mentioned it is very good for redeeming miles (one-way for 50%, miles+cash, buying extra miles if short is not a rip-off unlike SAS, etc).

also regarding the Lufthansa ownership of bmi and possiblity of it changing to Miles&Less - according to a German newspaper there is word that Lufthansa are trying to sell their stake in bmi now so it could stay Diamond Club for a while longer.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:28 pm

Programs: too many to list
So the bonuses apply to common Biz class with *A carriers as well, not just SAS? Ie J/C/D with TG will give me 200%?
In most cases, yes. There are a few exceptions, such as Air Canada only giving 100% on discounted business fares.

The full details can be found at http://www.flysas.com/en/EuroBonus/S...onus/Airlines/.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
I would say if your're travelling alot in C and mainly with SAS, Eurobonus isn't too bad and if I was in that situation, I would go for Eurobonus. The problems first occur when you stuck in low-eco......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.