Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Fuel surcharge probably to be added on Eurobonus Award tickets soon

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fuel surcharge probably to be added on Eurobonus Award tickets soon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Angry

Now posted on sas.se and flysas.com

and a small ^ for them finally communicating this terrible news.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:04 pm

So how much will the new fuel surcharge on bonus tickets (and revenue tickets) be? The information on the SAS website does not provide any information on this.

Are the examples of present surcharges on paid tickets based on round trip travel, one-way travel or sector?

Although I think it is wrong to charge for fuel on a free trip, I could probably live with a charge of 200-300 SEK on a return trip within Europe. However the 1500-2000 SEK charged by AFKL, BA and LH is simply ridiculous and in cases more expensive than their paid tickets subject to the same capacity control.

If SK turns out to be in maginitude of AFKL, BA and LH I will demand that they waive the surcharge or allow me to to bring my own fuel in a dunk to the check-in counter (It is called BYO in Australia but for bringing your own wine to a restaurant).
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
I did some sample bookings yesterday (see post #3).

The europeean fees are in the area of SEK350 (prior to the adjustment next week).

The intercontinental fees are pretty high though. About SEK1150 per leg.

A roundtrip ARN-CPH-xxx is in the area of SEK2600. Or SEK2300 on a nonstop intercontinental roundtrip from ARN.

Let us know how the "BYO" idea works out
Old Jul 9, 2009, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), SAS EBG
For journeys originating in SE, DK or NO the new surcharges will be:

Domestic DK: €9 (€6)
Domestic NO: €11 (€8)
Domestic SE: €12 (€9)
Domestic FI: €18 (€15)
Europe or intrascandinavian: €19 (€15)
Intercontinental routes: €115 (€105)
So a KRN-ARN-CPH-IAD bonus roundtrip would be a €292 surcharge (plus a lot of other charges).

Interestingly enough: if your journey starts in US the intercontinetal surcharge is USD120. There is no surcharge for europeean or intrascandinavian flights..?

And if you start in HKG the surcharge for intercontinental routes is just €50 and in Korea just €43.

The Japaneese travellers will only be charged €30 for the leg TYO-CPH but €138 for the remaining intercontinental routes...

What a bloody jungle.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: *A Gold
Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
The intercontinental fees are pretty high though. About SEK1150 per leg.
Ah, that's around NOK200 per leg...

S.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Yet another reason to avoid EuroBonus. Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles program is looking better and better in terms of retention of Star Gold status.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Johan
So how much will the new fuel surcharge on bonus tickets (and revenue tickets) be?
High enough to make it possible to book regular paid tickets for travel between two cities cheaper than it is to use SK miles and pay SK's cash component too.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 12:57 am

Absolutely usless, this sounds like it's going to be AFKL class charges. Will only be using points for longhaul upgrades then, as well as Radisson Blu hotels on weekends (wonder how long they will stay as partner).
Old Jul 10, 2009, 1:38 am

Burn your points on hotels and do not earn anymore on SAS. This winter I travelled HEL-CPH-Bru and back it was like 60 in taxes. Now they´d be adding 4*19=76€. In total that would be 140€. A bit steep for a "free" ticket. This punishes badly those who have to connect.

And talk about logic. HEL-ARN or even better TKU-ARN is 19€ and Svalbard-OSL is 11€. What a joke.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:46 am

Programs: EB*G ; MR Plat
Originally Posted by scandi777
Ah, that's around NOK200 per leg...

S.
Thanks for a good laugh in a sad thread
Old Jul 10, 2009, 2:56 am

Programs: SK *S, IC Plat, Hz 5*
Early warning

Just recieved an email from SAS targeted to EBG warning about the surcharge and encouraging booking the next bonus trip before July 15th (in Danish):

Kære EuroBonus-medlem.

SAS opkræver i lighed med andre flyselskaber et brændstoftillæg for flyrejser. Fra den 15. juli gælder dette tillæg også for bonusrejser med SAS, Blue1 og Widerøe, hvilket allerede i dag opkræves hos de fleste andre flyselskaber.

Da du er Guldmedlem, ønsker vi at give dig denne information på forhånd, så du kan nå at booke næste bonusrejse inden dette tillæg indføres.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
Received the same as the above but in English:

Dear EuroBonus member.

In accordance with other airlines, SAS imposes a fuel surcharge on its
flights. Effective July 15, this fuel surcharge will be implemented on
EuroBonus award trips that are booked with SAS, Blue1 and Wideroe.

As a Gold member, we would like to give you prior knowledge to allow you
time to book your reward trips before the fuel surcharge is introduced next
week.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:03 am

Programs: EB*G ; MR Plat
Originally Posted by ebra
Just recieved an email from SAS targeted to EBG warning about the surcharge and encouraging booking the next bonus trip before July 15th (in Danish):

Kære EuroBonus-medlem.

SAS opkræver i lighed med andre flyselskaber et brændstoftillæg for flyrejser. Fra den 15. juli gælder dette tillæg også for bonusrejser med SAS, Blue1 og Widerøe, hvilket allerede i dag opkræves hos de fleste andre flyselskaber.

Da du er Guldmedlem, ønsker vi at give dig denne information på forhånd, så du kan nå at booke næste bonusrejse inden dette tillæg indføres.
I was just gonna write that the fuel surchage does not apply yet...So I agree: booking tickets now is a great idea, if only to get rid of those soon useless/expensive points....
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:31 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Got the e-mail as well:

SAS tar i likhet med andra flygbolag ut bränsletillägg på flygresor. Från och med den 15 juli kommer denna avgift även omfatta bonusresor som bokas med SAS, Blue1 och Wideroe, vilket redan idag görs hos de flesta andra flygbolag.

Eftersom du är Guldmedlem vill vi ge dig denna förhandsinformation för att du skall ges möjlighet att boka bonusresa innan bränsletillägget införs.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 3:47 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by GetAA81Back2ARN
For journeys originating in SE, DK or NO the new surcharges will be:

Domestic DK: €9 (€6)
Domestic NO: €11 (€8)
Domestic SE: €12 (€9)
Domestic FI: €18 (€15)
Europe or intrascandinavian: €19 (€15)
Intercontinental routes: €115 (€105)
That's quite absurd!

If I got this right for example if I decide to take a weekend trip to e.g. BCN flying ARN-CPH-BCN-CPH-ARN, then the fuel surcharge would be €19*4=€76 (around SEK 850).
Then I have to pay taxes on that which equals easily SEK 600-700.
So the total price for one award ticket would end up around SEK 1500.
Not exactly a free ticket!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.