Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

800K+ points about to expire, help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

800K+ points about to expire, help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:54 am
5EF
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; BA PP AMEX; HH Gold
Question 800K+ points about to expire, help!

Hi all, Im asking on behalf of a friend of mine who is panicking as he's about to loose 800,000 SAS miles due to them expiring (sometime in May I think).

Call me old fashioned, but if he's left them that long I dont know what he is worrying about.

However, if anybody has any pearls of wisdom as to how these points may somehow be extended, swapped, converted to other airlines, or otherwise used and avoid said expiry date, Id very much appreciate a nod in the right direction....

Many thanks in advance. ^
Old Mar 3, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: too many to list
If I had that kind of "problem", I would probably book a few Star award trips to far away places, such as Australia or Hawaii. In First class, of course - and probably with a suitable travel partner.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 2:07 pm

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
And I would guess not all of them are expiring at once, maybe the first batch? Or did he really earn them all in one year?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 4:14 pm
5EF
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; BA PP AMEX; HH Gold
not sure, but apparently this is the amount that are about to expire. bit of a nightmare I guess

are there no other knows options such as converting to another airline program or spending on non-flight benefits?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:18 pm

Why not just book some holiday a year from now, other side of the world in first class. Can easily cost 400k for one holiday for two people so just a matter of planning two of those in a year. If he doesn't want to use them for that then why is he worrying?
Old Mar 3, 2009, 5:57 pm

Well, my partner and I have always wanted to see Australia, and we like to fly in First. I can PM you our preferred dates, and an address to where he can mail us the tickets
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:12 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
Oh yes, lets start the bidding - where would you want to go? I have been dreaming going to New Zealand. Why I assume that with this amount of points the person HAS flown in long-haul first class before and does not see it like us (read: me), mortals.

Now more seriously, that EB points expire at the of the month, so be it then 30 April or 31 May.

There are several non-flying prizes, like concerts in Poland, restaurants in Scandinavia and Baltics, lots of Spa's in the Baltics, ship cruise, cinema tickets. It depends on the location.

SAS allows to book bonus flights also for relatives, friends, actually for anybody. Your friend can make gifts to colleagues or whoever. Or gather many friends and just go to a short trip, 1-2 nights out.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 1:39 am

What a problem

Brought mye and wifes ballances significantly down over the past months with the following activities:
2 star C awards CPH-HKG = 270,000
2 adults and 2 children C CPH-SEA = 270,000
2 adults and 2 children C CPH-LYR= 40,000
3*2 weekend nights at Radissons = 60,000
A grand total of 640,000 points

Add in some * destinations in Asia-Pac and do them in F or C - and you will burn them pretty fast. Actually 2 F tickets to Sydney will bring the balance down with over 500k IIRC
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:38 am

Plenty of hotels you can book online with SAS EB points. 20000 per weeknight and 10000 weekends. Good availability too.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Can RTW awards be booked with Eurobonus points?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:52 am

Tell him/her to burn the miles on SQ Whalejet R class with a partner or friend(s) on SQ to SIN or HKG, and then head further south for a few days in Bora Bora.

Problem sorted.

If he cannot find the time or need to travel, burn it on friends and family.

There is nothing better than giving tbh
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Petrus
Tell him/her to burn the miles on SQ Whalejet R class ...
And how do you propose he does this?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:14 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
And how do you propose he does this?
Hehe, maybe book an award in Y and sneak up in R after the meal service?

There is not a chance in hell that SQ would let anyone (including their own members) burn a single point in their R-class

Back to the topic: IIRC you just need to book the ticket before the points expire, not to travel. An assuming that all 800k where not earned in a single year (an EBG taking 27 round trips CPH-BKK in C within one year?) it would be enough to book a few F tickets for a nice summer holiday.

Cheers,

Last edited by BHIL; Mar 8, 2009 at 12:24 am
Old Mar 8, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: SK EBD, AX Cent, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Club-A Plat, Avis' PC, CC Gold,Hertz PC, CX Diamond,BA Bronz
Word of caution!

One thing though: Remember that there is no way the bookings can be changed without forfeiting the points after the points have expired in May. Any bookings after this date had better be on definite dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.