Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airBaltic to leave EuroBonus

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2008, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
airBaltic to leave EuroBonus

Rumors from travel agencies are that by March, 2009 airBaltic might leave EuroBonus program. So far neither airBaltic, nor SAS comments it.

Split between airBaltic and SAS is clearly noticable. airBaltic doesn't use SAS ground services, check-in for a connecting flight doesn't work and BP has to be collected in the transit airport. It used to be the case that all flights were codeshared with SK, not anymore. BT has signed contract not only with airline close to *A like SN but also with BA recently and AB a while ago.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:14 pm

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
That's a real shame if it happens. OV has been cutting back flights out of TLL, while BT has been increasing frequencies on TLL-RIX (as a feeder for all the flights out of RIX). I believe BT charges extra fees to check baggage, but this is waived for EBS/EBG members.

I wonder if OV will be next to leave EB?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
When the sale of BT was announced, the press release stated that "airBaltic will continue its commercial cooperation with the SAS Group between Riga and Scandinavia". The choice of words made me also doubt about the future of EB there.

But I do not see OV leaving Eurobonus in the near future unless some very extreme changes in ownership, like other alliance carrier, take place. SAS wants passengers, Estonian network and timetable. I feel that airBaltic tries to be on its own and gamble (feeder to eastern routes?).
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:46 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
I thought AirBaltic was still owner by SAS? Is this an indication that SAS may be selling AirBaltic? Doesn't surprise if it is with the current SAS cash problems. Hopefully SAS management will start to focus their time on getting the SAS product up and running again and sort out their cost problems.

Even though I don't use AirBaltic, I still think it would be a shame, especially for the Scandinavian flyers that go to the Baltic states. Does *A have other routes to the Baltic countries or is it mainly AirBaltic that covers those routes today?
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Lifetime Gold, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, TK*G Elite+, airBaltic VIP, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold
Yes, airBaltic SAS stake is for sale.
http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssI...00545420080814

There is no good *A coverage in Riga. LO is the best with 2 flights most of the days. There's also a single LH flight to FRA and TK to IST.

No SK, OS, LX...
Old Dec 30, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, CO, AF-KL, [EI]
SAS Group actually signed an agreement before Xmas to sell its 47.2% stake in airBaltic to BT's management team for Ls14 million ($28 million).
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by okko
SAS Group actually signed an agreement before Xmas to sell its 47.2% stake in airBaltic to BT's management team for Ls14 million ($28 million).
AirBaltic could potentially be allowed to stay in *A though I find it unlikely, especially if they've already started cosharing with BA. Oh well looks like *A looses its coverage in the Baltic countries. I'll just continue to use KLM through AMS anyways, but not good news for Scandinavians.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by dabee69
Yes, airBaltic SAS stake is for sale.
I guess everything at SAS is for sale !
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: SK*(LT)G, AY
Originally Posted by TuxTraveller
Even though I don't use AirBaltic, I still think it would be a shame, especially for the Scandinavian flyers that go to the Baltic states. Does *A have other routes to the Baltic countries or is it mainly AirBaltic that covers those routes today?
In Tallinn the major player is 49% SAS owned Estonian Air. airBaltic only flies TLL-RIX. As I said before, I assume that Estonian Air will remain in Eurobonus and no change to travellers.

In Vilnius there was very fierce rivalry between local (or partly Russian capital) FlyLAL and airBaltic. Now I have read that both are cutting back. It would be interesting to see whether SAS re-start it's own CPH/VNO ARN/VNO or leave it still to airBaltic.

About other *A in Tallinn, then there's daily LH flight TLL/FRA, no TLL/WAV this winter as troubled LOT gave up. Spanair and Austrian are only code-sharing.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by TuxTraveller
AirBaltic could potentially be allowed to stay in *A though I find it unlikely, especially if they've already started cosharing with BA. Oh well looks like *A looses its coverage in the Baltic countries...
Since when is Air Baltic a *A-member? Partly owned by the SAS group, yes. And they use SAS EuroBonus as their loyalty programme, but they are not in *A AFAIK.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
IMHO, Estonian Air may as well go bankrupt, if that would mean more proper Star Alliance flights to Tallinn by SAS. I hate it, that I am only able get SAS Eurobonus points for OV flights and no lounge-access in Tallinn Airport with my BMI *A Gold neither.
I dont really care about that our old rusty "flag carrier", who does not have many destinations left anyway. Last time I tried to fly to Munich, OV cancelled the flight couple of weeks before I was scheduled to fly and I had to threaten to sue them to get my flights re-routed.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
Since when is Air Baltic a *A-member? Partly owned by the SAS group, yes. And they use SAS EuroBonus as their loyalty programme, but they are not in *A AFAIK.
I thought AirBaltic had been made a *A member as well, but having just double checked their website I see that you are right. It seems Air Baltic isn't a *A member, but just uses EB. Oh well no loss to *A then. Would be good to replace it with proper *A routes then
Old Dec 31, 2008, 3:08 am

Programs: Most of them...
Originally Posted by tiltslope
In Vilnius there was very fierce rivalry between local (or partly Russian capital) FlyLAL and airBaltic. Now I have read that both are cutting back. It would be interesting to see whether SAS re-start it's own CPH/VNO ARN/VNO or leave it still to airBaltic.

About other *A in Tallinn, then there's daily LH flight TLL/FRA, no TLL/WAV this winter as troubled LOT gave up. Spanair and Austrian are only code-sharing.
In the light of (almost bankrupt) FlyLAL and flight cuts by airBaltic, the local authorities in VNO hinted at SK's intention to return with more flights in spring.

Luckily we still have LO flying to WAW, LH to FRA and OS to VIE...
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:42 am

Anyone has a recent figure on the load factor of BT? I know this is not very academic, but I have done some 14 legs on BT to RIX over the last month and to be honest I would say the load factor has been between 5-30% on every flight. 30 being the exception.
(And no, BT still doesn´t have a single clue on EBP even if EB is their programme too, lounge at RIX constantly claiming I need a EBG card...).
Old Jan 2, 2009, 2:46 am
Original Poster

ARN might be relatively empty. My experience with SVO, KBP, TXL and CPH are at least 70% load. Monday, Friday and Sunday flights are particularly busy. KBP and SVO is never empty... C class might be almost or even completely empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.