getting upgraded using bmi at first leg

Old Sep 19, 03, 5:30 am
Original Poster

getting upgraded using bmi at first leg

I have a question I hope someone can answer me. I recently booked a ticket with lastminute.com as some of my friends recommended it, but to my big surprise as this was not the cheapest place for the ticket I was issued a W-code. It seems rather dodgy as I have never heard SAS use this code (nor is it listed on their website). Cutting to the point, I'm flying out of EDI to CPH and I wish for an upgrade. Now, all my other previous experiences with bmi tells me the service of the ground crew is appalling. But how does it work with them, can they get me on the waitlist for an upgrade (especially if I volunteer my seat)? I will check in more than 6 hours before the flight leaves. Any help, or any other previous experience with bmi/SAS would be appreciated.:-)
Old Sep 19, 03, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
First of all, welcome to Flyertalk!

W is a standard fare class used by bmi, SAS, LH and others. Star Alliance carriers have been re-aligning their fare codes to a standard formate. V and W are the among the cheapest economy fare codes.

Your chances of an upgrade are almost zero, I would say, unless you are travelling on much higher fare or are extremely lucky. I fly regularly with BD, and have only ever been upgraded once when travelling on a W fare (and that was on 31 December when the flight was very full).

I have never heard of there being a list for upgrades on bmi. They only ever normally upgrade when there are too many passengers. You can of course volunteer to give up your seat if the flight is oversold, and might be able to get some compensation from that.

EDI-CPH is operated on a BMI Embraer 145 regional jet aircraft, seating around 50 passengers. Apart from the food, the seats in business class and economy class are exactly the same on this plane. Even if you were to get upgraded, the advantages are tiny.
Old Sep 19, 03, 6:09 am
Original Poster

thank you house for the reply. i know most of that stuff as i usually travel bmi to cph, my question, although badly formulated, was that i meant; is it possible for bmi to get me on the upgrade list with sas for the connection flight to ewr? or would i have to sweet talk sas in cph/give them some of my miles.

last time i use lastminute.com for travel as they give you the worst tickets for a fairly high price. c
Old Sep 19, 03, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Sorry - I hadn'y realised you were connecting at EWR!

BMI and SAS share the same (LH) computer system, so BMI may be able to help, and there is no harm in asking. Alternatively, you could try calling SAS in the UK 24 hours before the flights to get yourself on the volunteers/upgrade lists in advance.

Otherwise, I doubt that the BMI staff will be able to do any favours, even if they wanted to. Sweet-talking the lounge or transfer desk staff at CPH, or offering up miles, is likely to be what you end up doing.

Old Sep 19, 03, 7:08 am
Original Poster

thanks man, been of great help :-)
Old Sep 19, 03, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't worry too much about an upgrade list. There is usually space in C. Note that you need 30k miles now.

Unless things happen to look tight on your travel date....

Search this Thread