Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa will no longer give EuroBonus members 1,200/2,400 points from NO/SE to DE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa will no longer give EuroBonus members 1,200/2,400 points from NO/SE to DE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Location: Denmark, SAS Gold, Lufthansa Senator (GOLD ), KLM Platinium

What is happening here ? Do Lufthansa have some kind of dispute with SAS Sales /Eurobonus management...?

"Lufthansa news
"Lufthansa has decided it will no longer give EuroBonus members 1,200/2,400 points for travel between Norway/Sweden and Germany on Lufthansa operated flights. This applies from July 1, 2003 (departure date 01July, 2003). From that date the amount of minimum points earned will be 600/1,200.
Naturally, you will continue to earn 1,200/2,400 points for your trips on SAS operated flights on the routes involved."

and this in addition to this:

We are now adjusting the points requirement for award travel with our partner Lufthansa. For reservations made from March 1, 2003 each flight you fly with Lufthansa requires an additional 5,000 points. For example you require 100,000 points for a trip with Lufthansa, Stockholm - Frankfurt - New York.

If you fly Stockholm - London - New York with SAS and United Airlines, you still require 80,000 points, and if you fly Stockholm - Copenhagen - New York with SAS you only require 70,000 points! All examples above are roundtrips in Economy Class, and only on awardbookings made from March 1, 2003. (Round trip in Business Class with SAS requires 110,000 points).

Bonus trips on Austrian Airlines Group - from May 5, 2003
As of May 5, 2003 the amount of points required for an award travel with our partners within Austrian Airlines Group (Austrian Airlines, Lauda Air and Tyrolean Airways) will be changed. From then on you need an additional 5,000 points per flight. For example you require 60,000 points for a trip with Austrian Airlines, Stockholm - Vienna - Rome.

If you fly Stockholm - Copenhagen - Rome with SAS you require 40,000 points. Example above are roundtrip in Economy Class, and only on awardbookings made from May 5, 2003.
(Round trip in Business Class with SAS requires 60,000 points).
Bonus trips with Lufthansa - from March 1, 2003

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum42/HTML/001125.html

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:09 am

Programs: *G SPG Platinum
It is interesting and somehow sad to see. Looks like they are not "that good" friends anymore.

So, if I want to fly to the US on award travel, some of my options;

1. Travel Lufthansa Economy - using my EB miles, in economy 100.000!!

2. Travel on Lufthansa Firstclass - using my UA miles, spending 100.000!!

And - when flying LH and UA between Europe and the US - you earn the miles at 200% in Economy with PE or 1K status......

Or even more grim example (admit that I have stretched it a bit);
A Firstclass *Alliance award between Europe and Hawaii is 100K using UA miles.

So, I want to go OSL-FRA-LAX-HNL using LH and UA.

Using my SK miles, I would blow 240K for the same trip. I don't find the link anymore for *Alliance awards using EB miles.

And then to earning....

How many trips saving the miles to EB compared to UA MP;

I know again, I am stretching it.... -

Lets say you fly between Europe and North America.

How many cheap Eco-trips do you need to make, to get the free 1st class R/T.

FRA-LAX-FRA;
Miles to EB: Approximately 20 trips
Miles to MP: Approximately 4,5 trips

Thats the buttom line for me.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:07 am

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
I must say this is really strange, don´t SK/LH also have agreed on co operating on the Scandinavian Routes, and should then it not be equal miles on both LH and SK operated flights, for all EB members ?

And regarding the high demand for Miles for travelling OS/LH, it do seem better to join Mile & More and try earning points with them. Is it 100 000 points for reaching Senator as well as EBG ?

Sad to see things are going this way when Star Alliance was supposed to bring things better ?!.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:43 am
Original Poster

And here comes even more addtitions to this nice SK/LH (dis)agreements (see below), so it seems like SAS want eurobonus members/customers to avoid flying with their starpartner codeshared LH flights or use LH in general .

It seems like Lufthansa, so far, have not introduced any measures towards Miles and More members, like expensiver awards for flying with SAS etc.

A-340 GOT,
Yes, it takes 100.000 miles to become Senator, but miles comes a lot easier with lufthansa because of the 25% bonus on all classes after reaching 35.000 miles. So after about flown 82.000 miles Senator will be reached...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Norway_Asia:
It is interesting and somehow sad to see. Looks like they are not "that good" friends anymore.

So, if I want to fly to the US on award travel, some of my options;

1. Travel Lufthansa Economy - using my EB miles, in economy 100.000!!

2. Travel on Lufthansa Firstclass - using my UA miles, spending 100.000!!

Lets say you fly between Europe and North America.
How many cheap Eco-trips do you need to make, to get the free 1st class R/T.

FRA-LAX-FRA;
Miles to EB: Approximately 20 trips
Miles to MP: Approximately 4,5 trips
</font>
Norway -Asia
Very Interesting and scary calculations !!
But didn't Eurobonus win the Freddies for best Bonus program/Best Elite level 5 years in a row ? There must be something we are missing.

More points in Business Class for all members
Gold and Silver members
From June 1, 2003 EuroBonus Gold members earn 25% more Basic points for travel in Business Class on airBaltic, Braathens and Widerøe.
Silver members earn 15% more. This means that the similar service benefit enjoyed by Gold and Silver members since March 31, 2003 for travel in Business Class on SAS* and Air Botnia flights including travel with a Daily 0, Daily 2 or Daily 4 ticket on Scandinavian Direct (within Scandinavia) now applies to SAS and four of its partner airlines.
Basic members
Basic members who fly in Business Class with SAS*, Air Botnia, Braathens or Widerøe
during the period June 1 to December 31, 2003
will earn an additional 10% Basic points.

*On some routes SAS operates on behalf of Lufthansa, and this means that you will not earn another extra 10%, 15% or 25% Basic points.

*****************************'

[This message has been edited by The-Longhauler (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:56 am
Patron

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by The-Longhauler:
But didn't Eurobonus win the Freddies for best Bonus program/Best Elite level 5 years in a row ? There must be something we a missing. </font>
We missed Skywards! The FFP of EK & UL won five Freddie Awards 2003 in the international airline categories for best FFP, best Elite Level, best Award Redemption, best Customer Service & best Web Site!

Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
This may be related to antitrust concerns (LH and SK will not want to be seen to cooperate too closely and risk the Norweigian Competition Authority or European Commission restricting them (eg removing mileage earning completely). There may be a lot more to this than meets the eye!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:20 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">*On some routes SAS operates on behalf of Lufthansa, and this means that you will not earn another extra 10%, 15% or 25% Basic points.
</font>
hmmmm ! SAS operates on behalf of Lufthansa ?

So if we take CPH-MUC:
SK661 08:55 10:35 Copenhagen (CPH) Munich (MUC) 0 01:40
SK3659* 12:10 13:45 Copenhagen (CPH) Munich (MUC) 0 01:35
SK1661 14:40 16:20 Copenhagen (CPH) Munich (MUC) 0 01:40
SK3649* 16:45 18:25 Copenhagen (CPH) Munich (MUC) 0 01:40
SK663 17:20 19:00 Copenhagen (CPH) Munich (MUC) 0 01:40
SK659 19:55 21:35 Copenhagen (CPH) Munich (MUC) 0 01:40

* - Aircraft operated by partner airline.

So some flights are operated by Lufthansa, are the rest then operated on behalf of Lufthansa or what do they mean???

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:57 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Actually, I think it means exactly the opposite. So if you're flying on SK metal but are booked under a LH flight number, you'll only receive 600 points as opposed to 1200 that the same flight under SK flight number would credit you.

Notice that this was about Norway and Sweden, NOT Denmark, since all flights between Denmark and Germany have already yielded 600 EB points before this.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:48 pm
Point_Chaser

The above does not refer to code shares, I believe. I think it refers to the fact that certain flights that are listed as LH flights are operated by SAS. At least to Norway many flights which are LH flights are operated by SAS (initially due to LH staff or equipment shortages if I remember correctly). What they are saying is that these flights will not earn the bonus as they are "LH" flights...

Old Jun 5, 2003, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Point_Chaser:
[b]The above does not refer to code shares, I believe. I think it refers to the fact that certain flights that are listed as LH flights are operated by SAS. At least to Norway many flights which are LH flights are operated by SAS (</font>
Ok, so this flights are in Norway . I didn't know about this..thanks Chaser

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyingFinn:
Notice that this was about Norway and Sweden, NOT Denmark, since all flights between Denmark and Germany have already yielded 600 EB points before this.</font>
Actually, this was also about Denmark since this info concerned the new business bonus.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:50 pm

Seems all in all much better to start earning points with M&M, LH, as I do travel quite a lot from GOT to Germany, LH offers like 7 Daily flights, SK offers one direct, othervise have to fly via CPH, and even then might endning up on LH flights...so hmm...It does fell like you would earn a lot more points becoming frequent with miles & more ?!.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:57 pm
Point_Chaser

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by A-340 GOT:
Seems all in all much better to start earning points with M&M, LH, as I do travel quite a lot from GOT to Germany, LH offers like 7 Daily flights, SK offers one direct, othervise have to fly via CPH, and even then might endning up on LH flights...so hmm...It does fell like you would earn a lot more points becoming frequent with miles & more ?!. </font>
And I guess this is exactly the motive from LH's side behind making the change...
Not good for EB members though!

Old Jul 9, 2003, 10:02 am

I just find one thing really funny regarding this reward...having flown GOT-FRA-GOT, yesterday...on SK1631 I earned 3000 Points, but when travelling back on LH operated flight I only earn 1200 Points, on SK, while earning at least 2000 M&M miles with LH...as I would have done on SK operated flight, so I only find it as the only reason is to be member of M&M.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:49 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Another wacky example is this:

60.000 EB points gets me Norway-Southern Europe in business, e.g. OSL-NCE r/t.

The same points gets me SIN-NRT r/t on SQ F. Wonder where I use my points?
Old Jul 9, 2003, 3:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ph-ndr:
Another wacky example is this:

60.000 EB points gets me Norway-Southern Europe in business, e.g. OSL-NCE r/t.

The same points gets me SIN-NRT r/t on SQ F. Wonder where I use my points?
</font>
Have you ever tried to redeem F class award on SQ? You can check some post on almost all SA airlines forum about people trying to redeem for SQ F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.