Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Does SAS really think they have good fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:04 am
Original Poster

SAS is now advertising in Swedish newspapers about their campaign prices to the US this summer. They offer the "bargain" price of 8 200 SEK Stockholm-Chigago r/t and Stockholm-Seattle via Copenhagen for 9 680 SEK. The fares are in regular Economy class, booked in L-class, meaning only 25% earning.

It's old news that fares between Europe and the US go up during the summer but why does SAS pay to advertise these fares? Do they really think that a r/t ticket Stockholm-Seattle for the price of 9 680 SEK (over 10 000 SEK if booked through SAS reservations centre instead of the web) is something worth advertising about? My guess is that people actually turn away from SAS when they advertise such high fares rather than the opposite...

They "advertise" the campaign prices on the web as well
http://www.sas.se/sv/erbjudanden/erb...T.ac=start_usa

In the same newspaper Finnair offered campaign prices to several Asian destinations from Sweden. E.g. Stockholm - Seoul r/t for less than 5000 SEK. That's something to advertise about...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:08 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
With the amount of competition across the pond they have now it is surprising they are advertising such high fares, maybe they cannot afford to compete. Looking at random days in July and August you can easily save up to 3000 SEK on other carriers.

And the points situation is laughable.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 10:22 am

What annoys me is not that prices go up seasonally, but they change the fare basis to reflect the higher prices instead of blocking out lower booking classes. Thus a V-ticket is almost impossible to buy (will not even mention the price) during the summer and you will have to pay SEK 10.000:- and more for L and T-class tickets.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 1:20 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
I booked a ticket 2 weeks ago for TLL-ORD at the end of July, and chose LO over SK because of the 25% points issue with SK. Both carriers offer service from TLL with only one transfer, and the price was similar, but I get 100% EB points on LO based on the booking class for the ticket. Now I'll be sure of re-qualifying for EBG this year.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:16 pm

Programs: EBS
Originally Posted by SK_RSJ
What annoys me is not that prices go up seasonally, but they change the fare basis to reflect the higher prices instead of blocking out lower booking classes. Thus a V-ticket is almost impossible to buy (will not even mention the price) during the summer and you will have to pay SEK 10.000:- and more for L and T-class tickets.
I agree totally with you. I am going CPH-BKK in november. I could fly SAS at around 8600 DKK in K, but found a ticket via an TA on Thai at 7450 DKK in Q. I bought it. After I found out that Austrian had tickets just under 7000 DKK via Vienna in V outbound and in Q back to Copenhagen.
I understand that SAS raise their fares, but I dont understand why the fare does not reflect in the booking classes.
Well most people flying don't care or know anything about booking-classes, but as I tell people: if you are flying at least 2 intercontinental r/t a year, you should look at it.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I paid US$1200 this week for DEN-ORD-ARN (and back) on ual.com. It's booked as UA-codeshare for the SK flights.

The fare code is S, so it appears I'll get 100% mileage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.