Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Trip Report - BKK-SIN on SK in Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Report - BKK-SIN on SK in Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 1999, 8:06 am

As I have already said, I have no loyalty to SAS but I have always found their service to be OK.

The food is certainly intended for Scandinavian tastes, but I have no problem with that. I have always found the FA's attentive and helpful and the ground crew professional and efficient.

What's the problem folks?

[This message has been edited by Merry (edited 03-19-99).]
Old Mar 19, 1999, 8:20 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Here's what I'll do:

Next week I'm on SAS Stockholm-London in business class.

The following week I'm on SAS Stockholm-Chicago in business class.

I'll report back with my *up-to-date* views.

Old Mar 22, 1999, 9:05 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Apart from the service I was really unhappy with SAS when:

1. Customers were allowed to keep their seats backs reclined during take off.

2. Passengers had bags between their legs during take off and landing.

3. Passengers had foot rests out during landing.

At the same time SAS want to make my flying expeience 'safer' by taking my carry on away from me!

I don't ever like to complain about airlines view of safety but I'm so used to the US airlines procedures (and BA), that I find these incidents quite off-putting.
Old Mar 22, 1999, 9:21 am

Markie: I think I would find that a bit of a distraction as well.

It is good to hear others experiences.
MF
Old Apr 7, 1999, 6:15 am

After quite a lot of criticism of SAS business class, I throughout I'd report on a recent trip Stockholm to Chicago return in business class.

Firstly I must say that SAS's 767 interiors are getting quite shabby now. It's a pity I still think that overall the service and quality is very good. I was reading in a newspaper on my flight back that SAS will soon announce orders for approximately USD 2 billion on aircraft to replace its long haul fleet. But it's going to be quite some time before those planes are delivered, so I sure hope that they refurbish the 767s before then. SAS's 767s are not old but after 8-10 years of service they are looking it.

Now to the trip. All check-ins, boardings, departures and arrivals were smooth and on time.

The flight from Stockholm to Chicago was full. None the less, the service was good although SAS staff can seem somewhat stiff. But that's just how Scandinavian nature can seem sometimes. Two meals were served. Lunch and, well, lunch again I suppose! The food was good but not fabulous. A hot appetizer with cocktails. A starter then a choice of 4 mains followed by a separate choice of 3 desserts. The mains and desserts were served from a trolley. The wine selection was not big (2 whites, 2 reds) but was excellent. Cheese and port wine. Excellent XO cognac. A second , lighter meal was served before landing. Snacks were available during the other times - self service at the front of the cabin. The half litre bottle of Norwegian glacier water handed out to each passenger is a good idea too.

The films and video selection were very good. 20 mostly recent movies on tape to choose from, and the noise reducing headphones work very well. Many of the movies were recently released in Europe but may have been some months old in the USA.

Seat pitch is 47 inches which is perhaps not the biggest but is better than most.

The flight from Chicago to Stockholm was a lot less crowded. The cabin staff on this flight were very pleasant. Meals served were dinner and breakfast. The dinner was fine and similar to the description of the first meal above but the breakfast was cold, quite small and not very breakfasty. I.e. no cereal or yogurt or eggs etc. It consisted of cold meats, cheese fruit and rolls.

I didn't see any problems with reclined seats during take-off or landing, footrests extended or luggage incorrectly stowed.

Overall opinion:- Very nice and more than equal to UA/LH/TG. A shame about the cabin interiors.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 6:37 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
thank you for that recent, up to date, report.
Old Apr 7, 1999, 8:04 am

I thought I report too about a recent SAS trip in business class between Stockholm ARN and London LHR.

SAS European business class is not all that special in the air. But then again, neither is any other European airline that I've been on (BA/KLM/AY/LH to name a few). The major differences between SAS business class and economy class are that on some aircraft (737s) you get a wider seat and on longer flights (more than a hour or so) you get a hot meal in business class. Big differences between SAS business class and economy class are on the ground and with ticket flexibility.

Unlike North American airlines but similar to other European airlines, on SAS aircraft the business class cabin changes size depending on demand. On their MD aircraft there is no difference in the seats at all. But the seat pitch is better than AA or UA's domestic main cabin.

The flights:

From Stockholm to London it was completely full. I later found out that a BA flight had been cancelled so I suspect that what seats may have been free were taken byBA passengers. I was in row 11 of the MD90 which was about halfway back in business class. So with over 20 rows of business class I was in fact sitting in the main cabin! This may seem a bit bizarre to North Americans. The aircraft was fine and quite new. SAS are about halfway through replacing their European fleet and their MD90s and 737s are about as squeaky new as a plane can be. Service and food were quite OK. Both flights were on time. I tried to board with two pieces of hand luggage on the Stockholm to London flight and no-one stopped me. But they probably should have considering that every seat was taken. It's true that SAS do not seem to be as rigorous as in North America when it comes to inspecting where everything is stowed (both my PC and bag went into the lockers). But in North America I was not even allowed to have my AA Bistro meal bag on the empty seat beside me. Are flying 'turkey' sandwiches dangerous? (Only joking - I agree with the stricter US methods on safety).

London to Stockholm was again in an MD90 but this time it wasn't so full. I asked whether I could take 2 pieces of hand luggage on board. The check-in attendant said that she would 'prefer' that I check one piece but did not force me as the flight was not so full. I checked one bag anyway as I was not in a hurry in Stockholm. The service on board was probably a little better than before and the meal was good.

I think that the meal service could be more up market. Both meals were hot and included a dessert but there was no choice of mains at all. Cocktails are served in plastic glasses (except for champagne) and the hot food comes in an aluminum dish (not porcelain). Am I too picky? Some more glassware and porcelain and a choice of mains would be good.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 04-07-99).]
Old Apr 7, 1999, 9:29 am

Austman: Your kidding right?

Comparing BA/LH/KLM Business Class inter-european service to a US First Class service of a similar duration, you seriously prefer US carriers service?
Nick
Old Apr 7, 1999, 9:58 am

Where was I saying that??

I was meaning to compare SAS economy/tourist/coach to SAS business class. And there's not a huge difference in the air. The same seats (except 737s)/free drinks/newspapers etc. But a different meal. I wasn't meaning to compare to North American first/business except for the fact that on European airlines sometimes business class is the main cabin. I've been on some flights where business class took up all except for the last few rows on an MD80. I've not seen a US domestic airline do this.

As for North American first/business, I've had some very nice flights on AC and with UA and AA on their transcontinental non-stops. That's about the limit of my North American first and business class flights. Now as for coach well ...

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 04-07-99).]
Old May 7, 1999, 9:35 am

Is Mr. Stenberg listening to us?

Maybe so ... extracts from his May editorial:-

Status of renewal to date
Renewing SAS is a task that will continue for some years, but we have already
made a good deal of progress. On May 7, 12,000 SAS employees put on their
new uniforms, and our new livery has been applied on 25 of the aircraft in our
current fleet of about 180.

Implementation of our new airport lounge concept has thus far resulted in new or
re-built lounges in Brussels, Copenhagen, London Stansted, Milan Malpensa
and Oslo. Passengers flying SAS Business Class to selected European destinations will start enjoying a choice of menus this summer. Scandinavian
World Cooking has been enhanced, and we are also evaluating a new service
concept on the Scandinavia–Chicago and New York routes that gives Business
Class passengers more flexibility in terms of choosing their meal times. Aboard
our new Boeing 737s, a 2+3 seating configuration gives Business Class
passengers more room and more comfort. Economy Class passenger service on
international flights, including meals, has been substantially upgraded.

Another example of empowerment is the personal video and choice of twenty
films that are available in Business Class on intercontinental flights, so that the
passenger can determine what to watch and when to watch it. There is now a
telephone in each seat in Business Class, and we will be adding power outlets
for PCs aboard our new 737s during the summer.

Jan Stenberg
President and CEO,
The SAS Group

MMMmmmm better food and service onboard? Let's hope so!

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 05-07-99).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.