Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Two seperate tickekts. Check through.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Hi

I am about to book at trip from CPH to DXB on Turkish Airlines. I have to go from Jutland, and will buy a seperate ticket from AAL on SAS. They (SAS) say, that I cannot check my luggage through, and that they do not guarantee my connection in case of a delay. Is this true; both companies being in Star Alliance? If so, I will choose the cheap tickets with Sterling. Buying a ticket from AAL wil cost app.6000 dkr, but two seperate tickets will be app. 4500 dkr.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Jensine
Hi

I am about to book at trip from CPH to DXB on Turkish Airlines. I have to go from Jutland, and will buy a seperate ticket from AAL on SAS. They (SAS) say, that I cannot check my luggage through, and that they do not guarantee my connection in case of a delay. Is this true; both companies being in Star Alliance? If so, I will choose the cheap tickets with Sterling. Buying a ticket from AAL wil cost app.6000 dkr, but two seperate tickets will be app. 4500 dkr.

I'm afraid that it is true. I have asked the same at AAR a few times and since last summer SK has refused to check-in my bags to my final destination when on two tickets (unless you have a Travel Pass Corporate card for the first leg). So you have to book a flight which leaves you enough time to collect your bags at the domestic termainal, to proceed to Termainal 3 and to check-in again in terminal 3- I would say at least 1½ hour is required. For your return flight TK will most likely tag your bags all the way to AAL (if CPH-AAL is on SK) - it is only SK and a few other carrier that have this strict (and annoying) policy.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:58 am

Yes, that is how it works. It doesn´t have to do with both carriers being *A or not.
That said you would stand a better chance being rerouted if arriving on SAS but still a risk you are taking being stranded.
There is a non public wording on "sassalesinfo" saying you will be rerouted if misconnecting on separate reservations if both flights are SAS. But you will not get any vouchers, hotel etc.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:25 am

Not quite true, at least not in Sweden. If you travel from a domestic city and continue to another country with a *A carrier SK will check you trough all the way, at least the luggage. Sometimes it is not possible to get the person checked in all the way but the bags for sure. Im not sure if Denmark has other rules but I would´t think so.

It doesn´t matter if you have all in the same booking or is checked in all the way by a check-in agent, what decides if you get protected by the airline in case of delays and so on is i the ticket is priced together all the way.

But, If you have separate tickets and travel domestic Sweden only...then the bags would not be checked in all the way. I guess the reason why you get that extra service when travelling abroad is some kind of *A-rule SK cant remove.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.