Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New upgrade procedure at ARN

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Paby
I've always been very satisfied with the upgrade procedures at ARN for EWR and ORD but last week to ORD was a complete disaster. Got in one of the lines for the Service Desk at pier F at 8.50 waiting for them to open. When it was my turn I was told that they were out of seats in both C and Y but that I could check at the gate. A minute earlier, a lady in the line next to me had been upgraded to C with points being EBB!
You were asking for upgrade with points or were you after for op-up?

I think SAS should always give the seats to those who want to spend some points, in that case it is not a "free" upgrade but they at least get some points from the passengers.

If you were going to use your points then I think this is very wrong - EBG should always get priority also when using their points.
Old May 14, 2006, 8:55 am

Programs: EBD & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by miikka
You were asking for upgrade with points or were you after for op-up?
I realized op-ups wouldn't be an option as several pax wanted to upgrade with points so I aimed for Y with points preferrably and C if Y was full.
Old May 14, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: EBD & Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by larsll
Before I fall asleep up in the clouds I thought to mention that there is a new upgrade procedure in place at ARN. Points upgrades are now done by the service desk to reduce the workload at the gate (only 2 agents it seems). Hence I had to walk back from F62 after they figured out that there was a seat (since I had my request entered in the OSL Scandinavian Lounge that was not an issue)...
As a follow-up I think this is one of the reasons for my miserable flight to ORD the other week (see earlier post in this thread). When all upgrades were done at the gate the GAs usually collected the BPs of all pax wanting to upgrade and then started to do upgrades. That gave them the oppourtunity to prioritize EBGs before others. With this new procedure it's basically first come, first served at the Service Desk no matter what EB status you have. Yet another perk of EBG gone as it seems...
Old May 14, 2006, 9:07 am

Programs: AAadvantage, EBG, PP
Frankly, I see little advantage to Gold over Silver status. With Silver, you get biz checkin, which is a major advantage on the transatlantic flights. With Gold, you get that and fast-track security, which isn't really important at least in CPH, and Lounge access, which I can live without. As far as the important thing - seats on the flight - there's just no difference at all. So really, I fail to see how Gold status is a retention tool for SAS.
Old May 14, 2006, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Paby
As a follow-up I think this is one of the reasons for my miserable flight to ORD the other week (see earlier post in this thread). When all upgrades were done at the gate the GAs usually collected the BPs of all pax wanting to upgrade and then started to do upgrades. That gave them the oppourtunity to prioritize EBGs before others. With this new procedure it's basically first come, first served at the Service Desk no matter what EB status you have. Yet another perk of EBG gone as it seems...
But they do take into consideration notes in the system. I checked in at OSL, and when I arrived to the gate at ARN and I asked for the upgrade the GA initially responded that she had to check as the cabin is filling up, but then her colleague said that LarsLL had already been accounted for, and I was shipped off to the service desk.

One idea; maybe it would be possible to call SK when the check-in opens for a flight (22hrs in advance) to ask to have the upgrade request entered into the system.
Old May 14, 2006, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by miikka
I think SAS should always give the seats to those who want to spend some points, in that case it is not a "free" upgrade but they at least get some points from the passengers.
I agree. SK is not a charity, and if you pay you get priority. Op-ups should in general be a rare thing...

Just arrived home on SK944, and spending points was the way to get into C. Not sure if there were any op-ups, but C was filling up rapidly when I checked in 3 hours prior to departure.
Old May 14, 2006, 10:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think the best bet to get a point upgrade is to have at least a 10 000 point cert with you and ask the checkin to put a FQTU note in the checkin.

The seat map is available on expertflyer.com till the flight is closed for departure. If you are aiming for a op-up, choose a flight that you know will be sold out, don't reserve a seat, checkin late to get the famous 'seat at gate' BP, wait till all M/Y seats are assigned by monitoring expertflyer.com, then approach the gate agent and give them some applicable argument (EBG, high fare class, travelling with C pax, upgrade cert etc). Works 100% for me. Never travelled in SK Y/M so far. Always upgraded at ARN with no problems. Avoid CPH if possible.

Information to member
The following information must be given to the member:
¤ No upgrade request information can or shall be inserted in the PNR.
¤ The member shall at check-in present the upgrade certificate, the check-in staff will insert an FQTU note in the check-in mask.
¤ One or several certificates are required for each flight segment requested (depending on destination).
¤ The upgrade will be confirmed at the gate, not earlier, if space and meal is available in the upgrade class.
¤ If the member is accepted in the upgrade class, the airport agent will collect the certificate(s) from the member.
¤ The upgrade certificate do not entitle the bearer to any lounge access or extra baggage
¤ The upgrade certificate is non-refundable.
¤ No child discount.

For airport agent use only
On the bottom of the front page of the EuroBonus upgrade certificate you find a field "For airport agents only". This field shall be filled in at the gate by the airport agent only, when the upgrade is confirmed.

EuroBonus last minute upgrade at gate
Due to the time consuming procedure at gate to handle the "EuroBonus Stand-by upgrade at gate" without an upgrade certificate, always convince the member to order an EuroBonus Upgrade Certificate
Members with an Upgrade Certificate will always have the first choice for a stand-by upgrade if space and food is available.
Effective 01 September 2003 a new document will be used at stations with dedicated SK staff. This document shall only be used when a member asks for an upgrade for points to a higher class on a SAS operated flight and is not in a possession of an EuroBonus upgrade ceritificate.
More information for airport agents in Station Bulletin nr 8, 2003.
Old May 14, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by CONY
As far as the important thing - seats on the flight - there's just no difference at all. So really, I fail to see how Gold status is a retention tool for SAS.
EBG is definitely not worthless, but the benefits are not as good and plenty as they used to be.

One of my major concerns is the lack of benefits onboard, just like you mention.
No priority boarding, no premium seats, no seat blocking, no recognition at all onboard. And apparently no priority for point upgrades either.
I would love to see the first 2-3 rows of the cabin blocked off for golds and preferably an automatic seat blocking as well.
Old May 14, 2006, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Interesting info..... I thought about ordering some certs but learned that they expire after 1 year and tend to prefer to avoid flying SK transatlantic. Is it possible to redeposit the cert if you don't use it?

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I think the best bet to get a point upgrade is to have at least a 10 000 point cert with you and ask the checkin to put a FQTU note in the checkin.

The seat map is available on expertflyer.com till the flight is closed for departure. If you are aiming for a op-up, choose a flight that you know will be sold out, don't reserve a seat, checkin late to get the famous 'seat at gate' BP, wait till all M/Y seats are assigned by monitoring expertflyer.com, then approach the gate agent and give them some applicable argument (EBG, high fare class, travelling with C pax, upgrade cert etc). Works 100% for me. Never travelled in SK Y/M so far. Always upgraded at ARN with no problems. Avoid CPH if possible.

Information to member
The following information must be given to the member:
¤ No upgrade request information can or shall be inserted in the PNR.
¤ The member shall at check-in present the upgrade certificate, the check-in staff will insert an FQTU note in the check-in mask.
¤ One or several certificates are required for each flight segment requested (depending on destination).
¤ The upgrade will be confirmed at the gate, not earlier, if space and meal is available in the upgrade class.
¤ If the member is accepted in the upgrade class, the airport agent will collect the certificate(s) from the member.
¤ The upgrade certificate do not entitle the bearer to any lounge access or extra baggage
¤ The upgrade certificate is non-refundable.
¤ No child discount.

For airport agent use only
On the bottom of the front page of the EuroBonus upgrade certificate you find a field "For airport agents only". This field shall be filled in at the gate by the airport agent only, when the upgrade is confirmed.

EuroBonus last minute upgrade at gate
Due to the time consuming procedure at gate to handle the "EuroBonus Stand-by upgrade at gate" without an upgrade certificate, always convince the member to order an EuroBonus Upgrade Certificate
Members with an Upgrade Certificate will always have the first choice for a stand-by upgrade if space and food is available.
Effective 01 September 2003 a new document will be used at stations with dedicated SK staff. This document shall only be used when a member asks for an upgrade for points to a higher class on a SAS operated flight and is not in a possession of an EuroBonus upgrade ceritificate.
More information for airport agents in Station Bulletin nr 8, 2003.
Old May 14, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gnaget
Is it possible to redeposit the cert if you don't use it?
No. That's the catch.

cheers,

Henry
Old May 14, 2006, 3:05 pm

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by henry999
No. That's the catch.

cheers,

Henry
And that if you don't get your upgrade, you may very well be stuck in the worst seat the plane has to offer. Still, it is a very nice strategy Oliver2002 is suggesting!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.