Search

Celebrity Sightings on SAS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:09 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by miikka
This is one of the most important things with op-ups:
1) Have an EBG
2) Travel alone (or if with someone then at least with separate PNRs)

And after that op-ups just keep coming ...
Indeed that's the key.

First of all the flight has to be fully-booked or overbooked, upgrades do not just happen.
Then it's all about having the right card, travelling alone, and of course also about competition and perhaps being nice/nicely dressed.
On a mid-week CPH-LHR flight 50% of the passengers onboard will be EBG, so even if they do need to op-up people, chances are still very low.

Paris on the other had is a bit of a gem.
Especially during weekends (Fri-Sun) business demand is close to zero, few people commute on a regular basis between Scandinavia and Paris (in contrast to London for example), so the remaining people are leisure travellers going on a romantic weekend or whatever, and there seems to be loads of them.
Even though some of these people are EBG they rarely travel alone, the CDG lounge is like kindergarden on a Sunday, kindergarden with free booze...
As they don't upgrade couples or families (I have seen so many people trying with all kinds of strategies without success), chances are fairly good if you're alone, EBG and the flight is full.

So now I've shared my insightful knowledge about SAS and Paris.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
when i used to be EBS and fly SAS, I have been op-uped once on SAS (ARN HEL) and once on LH (MUC TLS). Overbooked flight is not enough IMO. What you need to optimise your chances is to have one of the following:

- a "right" number of confirmed bookings in C and overbooked Y/P classes
- some extraordinary operation conditions

What is a "right" number of C pax and Why

C seats on SAS are normal Y seats that are a bit arranged in order to have 5 large seats by shrinking a middle Y seat (usually the B seat). The SAS biz product implies E seat to be blocked , "for your confort blablabla". One row of C => 4 pax. one row of Y => 6 pax. The problem comes from the fact that the C/Y separation is modular. Therefore, on a full/overbooked flight, the solution is to have the minimum of C rows and a maximum of Y rows... It would be also quite a shame to downgrade someone that paid 1000 EUR for his ticket in order to fit two more Y pax in the plane. (exceptionally they seat 3 pax in C next to each other against some generous vouchers... but that's not often i guess)

My theory of the right number is "4R+1" C pax that gives room for 3 op-ups. (R being the number of C rows) In case there are exactly 4R C pax on an overbooked flight, there won't be any op up for sure!

some extraordinary operation conditions

There can be also a few factors that help a bit with luck. A few of them being

- late arrival, no time to change configuration
- last minute change of aircraft with predefined configuration and improvised seat reassignement
- too short turnaround to change C/Y configuration, it's cofigured for the highest C load creating some opup opportunities for the flight with low C load
- C/Y optimal separation is prohibited as the divider would be at an emergency exit for example... it gives more room for C. If you fly on an old MD82, forget about it, exit rows being at 20 or something like that.

you can add more... on short haul, it is easier to play the "denied boarding / compensation" game than the opup game.

Last edited by ranskis; Jan 5, 2006 at 10:44 am Reason: layout
Old Jan 5, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: Lufthansa Senator, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ranskis
My theory of the right number is "4R+1" C pax that gives room for 3 op-ups. (R being the number of C rows) In case there are exactly 4R C pax on an overbooked flight, there won't be any op up for sure!
I agree. There is also one more consideration to make; there is a limit to how far forward you can put the divider. I have never seen it further forward than between rows 3 and 4. So if there are extremely few C passengers you might have more than 3 available op-ups.

One aspect not covered by your theory is the availability of meals. But then it gets a bit random and tricky.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:13 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by larsll
I agree. There is also one more consideration to make; there is a limit to how far forward you can put the divider. I have never seen it further forward than between rows 3 and 4. So if there are extremely few C passengers you might have more than 3 available op-ups.

One aspect not covered by your theory is the availability of meals. But then it gets a bit random and tricky.
i think i've seen the divider between 2 and 3 some time ago but i'm not sure.

Regarding meals... that's more a limiting factor than something that could favorize op-ups...

opups are almost impossible to get on medium all... but snow and weather conditions can sometimes do miracles
Old Jan 5, 2006, 12:44 pm

There are two factors to take into account when evaluating the chance of an op-up.

The first thing is how the SAS station handles the situation, for example if a flight is fully-booked, overbooked or in case of an aircraft change.
CPH for example is infamous for making every single effort not to give out op-ups and they almost rather bump people than give free upgrades.
At other destinations SAS staff may find it more justifiable and acceptable to give op-ups when needed, instead of going out of their way to find alternative solutions.
Of course it is harder to get an op-up intra-Europe as the divider can be moved, if there is a requirement that C should be at least three rows I don't know, but that would definitely have an impact as well.

The second thing is of course how op-ups are handled when the gate manager decides op-ups are needed.
Who they choose, in what order of preference they choose people, and how they make the actual upgrade.
This is the part the passenger can influence by having a *G in the PNR and to make sure there is only one passenger in the PNR.
I'm sure check-in agents can give recommendations as well (and at some airports the check-in agents work as gate agents later), so never hurts being nice at check-in if going to a counter.

I have scored four (if I remember correctly) intra-European op-ups during the past twelve months, and others before that, so it's definitely not impossible...
Old Jan 5, 2006, 2:20 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

We are wandering of again... Let's leave this post for celebrity sightings..
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tommy777
We are wandering of again... Let's leave this post for celebrity sightings..
Yes you're right. Shame on us!!!

Anybody else seen any nice celebs recently?
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:30 am

Programs: KL Platinum, SAS Silver
Originally Posted by jacob_m
Yes you're right. Shame on us!!!

Anybody else seen any nice celebs recently?

Helena Christensen was on CPH -EWR yesterday.. in C of course..

-Dennis
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Ronnie Wood in London Lounge on Sunday evening. May not have been flyer SK though.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:23 pm

Was bumped from 1C (MD80) to 1F on SK2151 today as the swedish king wanted my seat
Actually the 2-seater(AC) and the 3-seater (DEF) are not aligned on this config, so I was actually having my breakfast in front of the king.
The purser greeted him "Welcome on board your Majesty". A bit formal for Sweden. Flight was only 35 mins delayed this morning so a good day at ARN.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:17 pm

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Tor Aksel Voldberg, a very rich Norwegian investor - but flying Y on LH with his stunning wife.
Old Jun 2, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I don't think I have encountered many celebs on SK, but:

LH: Bjarne Riis (EPO-doped 1996 Tour de France winner (FRA-CPH, Feb 2006))
Arabella Kiesbauer (German TV host and actress (FRA-NCE))

EW: Günther Netzer (German football legend (NUE-HAM))

DM: Lars Hjortshøj (comedian), Rene Dif (musician, former Aqua), Remee (musician), Torben Zeller (actor), Gun-Britt Zeller (celeb hairstylist), Allan K Petersen (FCN-owner, and tycoon) - all on the same CPH-NCE flight, many also returning on NCE-CPH a few days later. This was during Cannes film festival and F1 Monaco weekend...

LF: Mogens Krogh (Danish football national goalkeeper (OPO-CPH)), John Sivebæk (Danish football national player (OPO-CPH)), Anders Frandsen (cheesy Danish Eurovision song contestor (OPO-CPH)), Jes Dorph-Petersen (Danish News Anchor, (OPO-CPH))

DK: Isabella Kristensen (fashion designer (NCE-CPH))

TG: Anders Frandsen (cheesy Danish Eurovision song contestor (CPH-BKK))

FI: THW Kiel handball team (KEF-CPH)

and, oh yeah, on SK: Hans Blix (Swedish UN represent (Germany-CPH)

Last edited by jefi99; Jun 2, 2007 at 1:01 pm Reason: added some
Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:30 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Ole Gunnar Solskjær MAN-OSL on a Sunday back in August after I went to see Liverpool. I was op uped, he was in P with his son.

The plane had 90% Liverpool fans, so he was left alone
Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:58 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Monday morning, after a royal event (I can't remember whether it was Crown Prince Frederiks wedding, or it was Prince Felix' baptism) I sat next to Roger Moore and his wife Kikki Tholstrup in CPH Scandinavian Lounge. He was drinking Ramlösa, not shaken, nor stirred
Old Jun 2, 2007, 3:56 pm

Programs: SK Blue, OK Silver, QA newbie
The king and I....

Evening all !

The encounter with a "celebrity" I remember most is with the swedish king, Carl Gustaf XVI. I was on a flight from ORD to ARN at that time and this was during the winter Olympics in Salt Lake. The SK B767 was picking up passengers in Salt Lake and had a routing via ORD to continue the flight SK946. I was on ID-ticket as an employe at SK and tried to get an upgrade to C. Due to mentioned celebrity they didnt allow standby travelers in premium cabin though. At bording time his majesty boarded among the first together with his body guards. People who passed his row during boarding greeted him and some people evan shook his hand. So did I, and as my name is close to his name I had to present my self for him. He was quite a humble man and did smiled back to me, as for the resemblence of the name.
I was lucky enough though to get a business seat with a economy service. Also at the row infront of me at the window on the same flight there was another celebrity, the swedish downhill skier Anja Person and her father. They had also business seat /economy service to look forward to.

Other famous people on my flights: Jan Stenbeck, former CEO of SAS on a flight from FRA to ARN in -03.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.