Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Business Class with Lap Infant - Seat Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2024, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTG

I recently booked a paid ticket from the US to CPH on SAS. I was surprised to see they now charge a seat selection fee.
If I am traveling with my wife and a lap infant are we guaranteed to be seated together even if we dont pay the fee?
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:36 pm

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
I recently booked a paid ticket from the US to CPH on SAS. I was surprised to see they now charge a seat selection fee.
If I am traveling with my wife and a lap infant are we guaranteed to be seated together even if we dont pay the fee?
No. Only Eurobonus Gold status or higher waives the charge.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 3:53 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Are you and your wife in the same itinerary?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Are you and your wife in the same itinerary?
yes, me wife and baby are on one booking. All the single seats in the cabin are booked already leaving only the pairs so hoping we can avoid paying seat selection and still get seated together.

if that’s not the case I’ll cancel the SAS ticket and rebook on delta out of principal
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They will have to assign you to a specific seating area as not every seat in the aircraft has the additional oxygen mask required for the lap child.

In an A330 that seat is 1H:

Code:
SM SK 0932/C/12DECLAXCPH/V
SM SK  0932  C 12DEC LAXCPH        333
        A     D  F     H 
C  1 B  L     L  L     C  B 1  C
   2    L     L  L     L    2   
   3    L     L  L     L    3   
   4    L     L  L     L    4   
   5    L     L  L     L    5   
   6    L     L  L     L    6   
   7    L     L  L     L    7   
   8    L     L  L     L    8   
        A     D  F     H 

. AVAILABLE   <> WING     F GEN FACI   K GALLEY   E EXIT    C COT 
+ OCCUPIED    - LAST OFF  H HANDICAP   Q QUIET    G GROUPS  P PET 
/ RESTRICTED  B BULKHEAD  V PREF.SEAT  X BLOCKED  L LEGROOM U UMNR
() SMOKING    D DEPORTEE  UP UP-DECK   Z NO FILM  I INFANT  R REAR
Y CHARGEABLE
Code:
SEAT NUMBER: 1 H
RESTRICTED: Y
SEAT OCCUPATION: Restricted
SEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Window and Aisle together (WA)
Seat with bassinet facility (B)
Chargeable Seat (CH)
Front of cabin class / compartment (FC)
Bulkhead Seat (K)
Leg Space Seat (L)
Preferential Seat (O)
Right Side of Aircraft (RS)
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They will have to assign you to a specific seating area as not every seat in the aircraft has the additional oxygen mask required for the lap child.

In an A330 that seat is 1H:

Code:
SM SK 0932/C/12DECLAXCPH/V
SM SK 0932 C 12DEC LAXCPH 333
A D F H
C 1 B L L L C B 1 C
2 L L L L 2
3 L L L L 3
4 L L L L 4
5 L L L L 5
6 L L L L 6
7 L L L L 7
8 L L L L 8
A D F H

. AVAILABLE <> WING F GEN FACI K GALLEY E EXIT C COT
+ OCCUPIED - LAST OFF H HANDICAP Q QUIET G GROUPS P PET
/ RESTRICTED B BULKHEAD V PREF.SEAT X BLOCKED L LEGROOM U UMNR
() SMOKING D DEPORTEE UP UP-DECK Z NO FILM I INFANT R REAR
Y CHARGEABLE

Code:
SEAT NUMBER: 1 H
RESTRICTED: Y
SEAT OCCUPATION: Restricted
SEAT CHARACTERISTICS: Window and Aisle together (WA)
Seat with bassinet facility (B)
Chargeable Seat (CH)
Front of cabin class / compartment (FC)
Bulkhead Seat (K)
Leg Space Seat (L)
Preferential Seat (O)
Right Side of Aircraft (RS)
do you know what seats that is on an A321neo? Does SAS have a policy of keeping families together?
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:47 am

Is the child of the size it would use a bassinet? If so, try calling and having that assigned - don't think I've seen any reports post introduction of seating fees. https://www.flysas.com/en/travel-info/onboard/seats/ It also wasn't that hard to find on the website. I would doubt though that your partner would have their seat assigned.

I am not sure any airline guarantees a family is sat together above the minimum requirement of one adult per child under 11 (or whichever age the airline puts down, and can thus be sat apart). Whilst it is more convenient to be located together, it isn't a guarantee. European airlines have more or less gone for a seat payment model in business (AFKL, LH group, BA, etc...).
Old Feb 2, 2024, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Is the child of the size it would use a bassinet? If so, try calling and having that assigned - don't think I've seen any reports post introduction of seating fees. https://www.flysas.com/en/travel-info/onboard/seats/ It also wasn't that hard to find on the website. I would doubt though that your partner would have their seat assigned.

I am not sure any airline guarantees a family is sat together above the minimum requirement of one adult per child under 11 (or whichever age the airline puts down, and can thus be sat apart). Whilst it is more convenient to be located together, it isn't a guarantee. European airlines have more or less gone for a seat payment model in business (AFKL, LH group, BA, etc...).
thanks. I’ll call and enquire about the basinet. Without a satisfactory answer from SAS I’ll cancel and rebook (I booked less than 24 hours ago)

it’s absurd to charge 360 euros for seats when I dropped nearly $9k on round trip tickets.
dcmike likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
thanks. I’ll call and enquire about the basinet. Without a satisfactory answer from SAS I’ll cancel and rebook (I booked less than 24 hours ago)

it’s absurd to charge 360 euros for seats when I dropped nearly $9k on round trip tickets.
Use the chat function, I'd prefer having a paper trail of everything.

Also, SK C is not that great, I just tried it on a A321neo, very little storage space for the pair seats. Check the thread about SK general experience.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 7:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
do you know what seats that is on an A321neo? Does SAS have a policy of keeping families together?
I don't have access to the reservation system right now, but assume that this is also a bulkhead. Yes, the system will try to keep a party together. SAS uses Altea theoretical seating, so it will keep you in the infant seat and the party together, but not display it to you. As mentioned above there are some legal and technical (oxygen mask) constraints they will adhere to and most probably assign you the 1AC or 1DF group of seats.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I spoke with an agent on live chat who assigned us the bassinet seat and kept us together for free
Old Feb 2, 2024, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
Use the chat function, I'd prefer having a paper trail of everything.

Also, SK C is not that great, I just tried it on a A321neo, very little storage space for the pair seats. Check the thread about SK general experience.
Understand that SK C is kinda meh but the timing and non stop are hard to beat when traveling with a baby.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:48 am

Understand that SK C is kinda meh but the timing and non stop are hard to beat when traveling with a baby.
The seat is the same as used by LX, OS, and believe DL as well to a certain degree (767?); the Vantage seat. Both SK and DL use the Vantage XL seat for other wide bodies.

I find service to be bad to great on SAS (crew dependent). Only thing to remember is to address them as an equal, not subservient. I do however find them responsive to calling.

Food in C is ok. Not great; daytime flight does have more elaborate service than most carriers and no trays. Compared to BA their bar is good, compared to some others it might be missing some things but have found wine, snacks, coffee capsules (wide body only) to always be kept stocked up.

I’m always surprised by people who thinks C is akin to a high end luxury. In the end I want tasteful food (often disappointed across airlines), wine that’s drinkable and decent coffee. Most importantly is a proper bed and entertainment (daytime flight).
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
We have been bringing our babies (2 under 2) and toddlers (I have 3 kids and they are 2 years and 52 weeks apart - not twins) transiting and sitting in Y, no issues at all. Bringing babies are easy as long as you can breast feed. It's worse when they started to walk, but then with good preparation it was highly doable even in Y.

Our babies were really not happy about the bassinet, so we carried them until they felt deep asleep and put them into the bassinet. They seemed to have a button on their back and if it touches a bed they would wake up. We saw no reason to fly C as we couldn't both lay down and sleep anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.