Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

New to SAS with Question about Baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: wn

We are going on a cruise in a couple of months and have airfare booked through the cruise line with SAS and SAS Connect. We are flying Business Class. On SAS website it says Business Smart and is fare class J. The SAS website is confusing to me about baggage. It first states that Business class is free for checked bag but later states something about traveling to or from US (which we are) there is a fee. This is the wording: The baggage fees below apply between the US and all other countries in Europe and are per bag and per direction including connecting flights beyond SAS's European gateways. What do they mean when they say "all other countries in Europe"? It is the word other that throws me. What European countries are not part of the "other"?

We do hope to be able to do carry on only but no guarantees! Anything else I need to know about baggage?

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:58 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Why bothering about baggage fees when business class includes checked luggage and you intend to stay well within the allowance (i.e. only carry-on)?

Also if you pick up some text a link is helpful to understand its context.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, but I don't know how to do a link with the part I want. Here is a copy and paste. I did mention in my OP that I had business class and that the below info says no charge for business class but then goes on to say flights to/from USA would have a fee to other countries in Europe. Makes no sense to me.

CHECKED BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE

The maximum size of any piece of checked baggage is 62”/158 cm (length + width + height).
  • SAS Go Light fares does not include any free checked baggage. For SAS Go Light fares, the baggage allowance column in the flight information section of the Itinerary and Receipt states 0PC (zero pieces). Checked baggage will be charged according to the table below.
  • SAS Go fares. The 1st checked baggage is free (maximum 50 lbs/23 kgs). The 2nd checked baggage is charged according to the table below.
  • SAS Plus fares. The first and second checked baggage are free (maximum 50 lbs/23 kgs per bag)
  • SAS Business fares. The first and second checked baggage are free (maximum 70 lbs/32 kgs per bag)
  • For EuroBonus Diamond, Gold, Silver and Star Gold passengers the first checked baggage above the free checked baggage allowance shown in your itinerary, is also free of charge. Exception: The extra baggage benefit does not apply when traveling on SAS Go Light fares.

BAGGAGE FEES

The baggage fees below apply between the US and all other countries in Europe and are per bag and per direction including connecting flights beyond SAS's European gateways.

Booking class codes are shown in the Class/Status column of the Itinerary and Receipt.

SAS GO LIGHT, SAS GO

For ticket types in booking class K, L, T or O.
  • Online (up until 22 hours before departure): 60 USD
  • At the airport: 109 USD

SAS BUSINESS, SAS PLUS AND SAS GO

For ticket types in all booking classes except for K, L, T and O.
  • Online (up until 22 hours before departure): 89 USD
  • At the airport: 109 USD
Note: The online fees are only available if the flight number(s) in your selected routing starts with SK (SAS), WF (Wideroe), A3 (Aegean Airlines). For SK codeshare flights operated by other airlines, the online fees apply only if the flight number is within the following flight number ranges: SK3000-3099, SK3150-3199, SK8400-8499.

More info about SAS Baggage Policy

For travel to/from, within the US and Canada, when your itinerary includes multiple airlines, additional fees may apply, please visit our interline partners’ websites: Air Canada (CA), American Airlines (AA), United (UA), Air Tahiti (TN).

SAS Baggage Policy applies to: Alaska Airlines (AS), Cayman Airways (KX) and Hawaiian Airlines (HA).

Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is no charge for the first two pieces of checked luggage in SAS business class TATL.

Here is how SAS goes for SAS-operated flights for US-EU travel:

1 x 23 kg: SAS Go Smart, SAS Go Bonus
2 x 23 kg: SAS Plus Smart, SAS Plus Pro, SAS Plus Bonus
2 x 32 kg: SAS Business, SAS Business Bonus
No bags included in SAS Go Light
Tomas E likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 28, 2023 at 5:38 pm
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Could the online baggage fee $89 and at the airport $109 be for an additional bags? It doesn't word it that way but it would make sense.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbres
Could the online baggage fee $89 and at the airport $109 be for an additional bags? It doesn't word it that way but it would make sense.
Perhaps, but I would just ignore that unless for some reason you’re planning to go over 2 x 23kg of standard sized luggage.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Do these baggage guidelines also apply to SAS Connect? I googled SAS Connect and all I got was that it was a new airline with no policies yet. Must be an old site.

Carry ons say I can bring two. My first flight is SAS but next (Rome to Athens) is SAS Connect (still business class). I need to make sure they too allow two carry ons (assuming we end up doing that instead of checking a bag).
Old Jun 28, 2023, 8:50 pm
Suspended

My SAS Connect flights came with the same operational treatment for my standard checked baggage and included baggage allowance as I experienced on SAS mainline flights.

Which airports are involved on the trip?
Tomas E likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Do these baggage guidelines also apply to SAS Connect? I googled SAS Connect and all I got was that it was a new airline with no policies yet. Must be an old site.

Carry ons say I can bring two. My first flight is SAS but next (Rome to Athens) is SAS Connect (still business class). I need to make sure they too allow two carry ons (assuming we end up doing that instead of checking a bag).
SAS connect is just the United Express of SK. An operations company that unlike United Express airlines is owned by the main airline
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC

SAS is SAS, regardless of who operates the flight. One thing that puzzles me - Rome to Athens on SAS?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
SAS is SAS, regardless of who operates the flight. One thing that puzzles me - Rome to Athens on SAS?
Missed that one.... Yeah that's clearly not SK.
GUWonder and SKT-DK like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Missed that one.... Yeah that's clearly not SK.
Is there even an SK codeshare on Rome-Athens?

When flying SK-coded flights not operated by SAS operators, the cabin baggage rules of the operating carrier trump.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Oops! I confused our return (on other airlines). We are flying IAD - CPH - ATH. CPH-ATH is on SAS Connect plane (operated by SAS). It is coded SK.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
We are flying IAD - CPH - ATH. CPH-ATH is on SAS Connect plane (operated by SAS).
While IAD - CPH likely works well with 2 carry-ons I don‘t recommend this for intra-European flights like CPH - ATH.

SK doesn‘t offer a complimentary free middle seat. So if a flight is packed, it is filled to the brim all the way from the front to the back. And adding more hand-luggage doesn‘t help.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 7:43 am
Suspended

Oops! I confused our return (on other airlines). We are flying IAD - CPH - ATH. CPH-ATH is on SAS Connect plane (operated by SAS). It is coded SK.
If at IAD check-in and gate the agents working the SK flight allow the items on board as cabin baggage, it will work out one way or another. If on the off-chance that SAS at CPH makes a fuss about the cabin baggage, they should be able to gate check it for you for delivery at ATH baggage claim.

For CPH-ATH I have primarily done that on Aegean Airlines and not SAS, but both have the capability to gate check bags at CPH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.