Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS and EC261/EU261 Claims [merged Discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS and EC261/EU261 Claims [merged Discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
If you read further up, you will see that none EU airlines only have to comply with EU261 for the flights leaving EU, not the flights arriving in EU.
As I described above, it really doesn't matter since non-EU airlines are not allowed to fly between the EU and the USA at all. The open skies deal between the EU and the USA is only for airlines registered within the EU and the USA. And to be registered within the USA, an airline needs to be controlled by at least 75% of US owners. Which means that if Norwegian would register an airline in a country outside of the EU, they would have to cancel all their trans-Atlantic routes, making it a moot point.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
4 hour connection/delay due to operational cancellation. Is it SOP for SK to issue meal voucher for value of 75SEK? That doesn’t seem to go too far with ARN prices.

Flying in Plus and *G if that matters.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Furry
4 hour connection/delay due to operational cancellation. Is it SOP for SK to issue meal voucher for value of 75SEK? That doesn’t seem to go too far with ARN prices.

Ok today I got 150SEK so maybe it highly depends on the agent then, 75SEK was "offered" Monday this week. Both times it was not proactively given to me, had to ask for it and then the agent went to get it from back (probably supervisor issuing these?)

This seems to be reasonable amount IMO.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by RedChili
As I described above, it really doesn't matter since non-EU airlines are not allowed to fly between the EU and the USA at all. The open skies deal between the EU and the USA is only for airlines registered within the EU and the USA. And to be registered within the USA, an airline needs to be controlled by at least 75% of US owners. Which means that if Norwegian would register an airline in a country outside of the EU, they would have to cancel all their trans-Atlantic routes, making it a moot point.
And this part of the tread is not just about EU <-> US, but how airlines can avoid EU261
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:47 am

And this part of the tread is not just about EU <-> US, but how airlines can avoid EU261
OK, but earlier in this thread you wrote:

All of Norwegian's long haul birds are registered in 2 separate legal company. Norwegian Air UK Limited, registered in UK and Norwegian Long Haul AS registered in Norway. There are only long haul birds in both companies. If they placed them in companies outside EU, they could reduce the EU261 claimed with 50% for those 2 companies. Given all the problems they have with their dreamliners, this could be a big savings for them.
The problem is that almost all Norwegian long-haul flights are operated under the EU-US open skies deal. Their Thailand flights are, I believe, operated under bilateral agreements between Scandinavia and Thailand. The only long-haul flight that they could still operate by registering their Dreamliners in a country outside of the EU/EEA is the LGW-EZE flight. All other long-haul flights would have to be cancelled.

It's a similar problem for most short-haul flights as well. Most of them are flown within the EU/EEA, and must be operated by an airline registered in the EU/EEA. They do have a handful of flights to some other countries, such as Morocco, Serbia, and Israel, but they would be completely crazy to register an airline in any of those countries only to avoid paying EU compensation on 10-15 one-way flights per week.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:39 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by Furry

I'd go to the lounge
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:52 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by RedChili
Doesn't SQ still have their famous JFK-FRA-SIN with passenger rights JFK-FRA?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by ksu
Doesn't SQ still have their famous JFK-FRA-SIN with passenger rights JFK-FRA?
Yes, and that's a fifth freedom flight.

And I wrote about that above. That Norwegian could, for example, register an airline in Serbia, start a flight BEG-LGW-JFK, and apply for fifth freedom rights for a daily flight. But that would mean: 1) The aircraft would likely fly half-empty BEG-LGW. 2) A round-trip trans-Atlantic flight would take 35 hours instead of 24 hours. 3) They would need twice as many LGW slots for one flight. 4) There's no guarantee that both British and US autorities would grant them fifth freedom rights, meaning that there's a chance that they would only be able to carry trans-Atlantic passengers on BEG-JFK. 5) Fifth freedom are in a best case scenario only granted for a maximum of one daily flight per market, which means that Norwegian could in a best case keep 7 weekly flights between the UK-USA, and all other UK-USA flights would have to be cancelled.

And all of that just to avoid paying EU compensation for a handful of passengers?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:21 am

Just filed a complaint on Friday evening for a cancellation on Friday morning (SK181). Got a positive decision today after lunch, money is already in my account. Just another data point that one of the good things to say about SK is, they usually just pay up without a fuss. This would never had happened with e.g. OS or LH.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by fassy
Just filed a complaint on Friday evening for a cancellation on Friday morning (SK181). Got a positive decision today after lunch, money is already in my account. Just another data point that one of the good things to say about SK is, they usually just pay up without a fuss. This would never had happened with e.g. OS or LH.
Fully agree on this. This should be the benchmark of all airlines how to handle EU261.

Flight delay on 24th, filed a complaint on 25th evening - reply from them 26th morning - money on account on 27th.
Flight delay on 26th, filed a complaint 27th morning - reply from them 30minutes! after - money on account 28th.

Despite the delays/cancellations still a happy camper.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Except its not everyones experience is it?
Still waiting for cash, almost a month later. Two attempts at an international transfer, nothing has appeared in the account, multiple checks with the bank, calls to sas etc.
No response to emails unless you call as the case is sitting at 'closed'.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:01 am

SAS EU261 compensation question

Was hoping for some advice on a potential claim for an elderly relative.
The flight number was SK0502 on Sunday just gone, London-Copenhagen (09.50 departure).

They were notified of the cancellation of the flight the day before. On calling up, they were offered to be rebooked on the 17.00 service but this got into Copenhagen at 19.55 and too late to make their connection, so they had to turn this down and make other arrangements to get there (bought another flight on another airline).

On looking at this again, it seems that perhaps they could have asked for a rebooking on to an earlier service (there was one at 0655), or an indirect service, or on another airline (there was a BA flight with similar timings), but they are not regular travellers and they were not to know this at the time. The 1700 option was the only one offered. Further it was not really worth the gamble of turning up at the desk and finding out that the 1700 was the best they could do and losing the rest of the holiday.

The ticket was the outbound and the return initially was cancelled, however they seem to have spoken to someone who has reinstated the return.

I know the cost of the replacement flights cannot be claimed, but I'd like to know if the rest of the case is sound and in particular if anyone knows the reason for the flight cancellation. Not going to be weather related (other flights flew LHR-CPH that time), but if the inbound flight (which would have been the night before) is cancelled for a extraordinary reason, would that be sufficient to deny a claim?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:38 pm

Just file the claim on the SK website. It takes 5-10 min. if you have the flight details etc. ready. The details is information like flight number, ticket number and IBAN/bank account information where they should transfer the compensation to. They are normally quite large and fast with honoring EU261 claims. If the claim is rejected they will give you the reason and then you can decide whether you want to take the claim to one of the leeches or challenge the rejection your self.

I don't think the return flight were ever canceled. SK is one of the airlines which doesn't cancel return flights when the outbound leg isn't used.

Last edited by highupinthesky; Aug 20, 2019 at 2:32 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Once they declined a reroute, it will be very hard to sustain a claim. At a minimum, they ought to be armed with the reason for the cancellation before making any decisions.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Once they declined a reroute, it will be very hard to sustain a claim. At a minimum, they ought to be armed with the reason for the cancellation before making any decisions.
Not with SK. If I remember correct, there isn't even a field to fill in the cancellation/delay reason in the online claim form. Beside. Unless the ticket is refunded the airline can't reject the EU261 claim whether you fly or not. Specially not when the flight it canceled completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.