Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Nick Art
SAS has its own lounge at Newark (EWR), which is located in Terminal B3, near Gate 60

- SAS Lounge (access for EBP, EBD, EBG, *A Gold, *A First Class, *A Business Class, SAS Business, SAS Plus)

In addition to the SAS lounge there are also other lounges located in Terminal B3 at EWR:

- Lufthansa Senator Lounge (right across the SAS Lounge, access for *G, including EBP, EBD, EBG, *A First)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge (right across the SAS Lounge, access for *A Business, including SAS Businesss)
The Lufthansa lounges are often overcrowded and they will turn away all non-LHG pax if the lounges are too crowded. Usually after the early departure wave approx. 17:00, the situation improves.

In addition to the above lounges in Terminal B3, there are also other lounges located in the other terminals at EWR, a selection of which is provided below:

- United Polaris Lounge (Terminal C, right after security, access only for intercontinental *A Business, including SAS Business)
- United Clubs (Terminal C, several different locations available, access to *A First (intercontinental), *A Business (interncontinental) and *G)
- AMEX Centurion lounge (Terminal A3, access for AMEX Centurion and AMEX Platinum)

There is a transfer Bus located at Gate 70 to transfer from Terminal C to Terminal A and B
Print Wikipost

SAS Lounge Newark (EWR)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
You can buy it in advance, if you fly on SAS. You have then the option during OLCI.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by BJfly
...am travelling on Lufthansa from Newark.
On the SAS website https://www.flysas.com/en/travel-inf...rport/lounges/ it says "When traveling in SAS Go, Star Alliance or Wideroe, you can purchase access to all SAS Lounges (except for SAS Gold Lounges)".
As it says - to buy access to the SK louge you will need to travel on SK
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:58 am

This isn't what their website says

Originally Posted by Discus
As it says - to buy access to the SK louge you will need to travel on SK

Interesting. Their website says "When traveling in SAS Go, Star Alliance or Wideroe, you can purchase access to all SAS Lounges (except for SAS Gold Lounges)."

I interpreted that to mean that if you are traveling on any Star Alliance carrier, you could purchase SAS lounge access.

I will presume you are right and their website just needs some TLC.

Thank you,
BJFly
Old Jul 28, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I personally don't think SK is so picky given that they have a need for your money.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
I didn't know that it says explicitly that you can purchase access when travelling *A.
I think they'll probably let you buy your way in when at the lounge.
But purchasing lounge access online is only possible with a flight reservation that can be accessed through the SAS website.
So the only thing you can do is just go there and try your luck.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Jainzar
I personally don't think SK is so picky given that they have a need for your money.
And still they are one of the fastest airlines to handle compensation claims and pay out compensation, not to say they are in on of the airlines with the fewest lost compensation claims cases in the courts.
According to the quotes further up from the SK website. It's clearly stated you can buy lounge access when flying on *A metal. It might not be working online, but it should work in the lounges or if you call the SK customer service.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
I didn't know that it says explicitly that you can purchase access when travelling *A.
I think they'll probably let you buy your way in when at the lounge.
But purchasing lounge access online is only possible with a flight reservation that can be accessed through the SAS website.
So the only thing you can do is just go there and try your luck.
When SK were still the ground handling company for LH at CPH, you could use the SK app to check-in on LH flight's. That's not possible anymore. Maybe the same change has affected the online lounge access purchase.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:54 am

Interesting. Their website says "When traveling in SAS Go, Star Alliance or Wideroe, you can purchase access to
Sorry - my bad. I was reading on some other page "Only when travelling with SAS or Wideroe" and re-read the post here to that
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Holy cow there is some misinformation flying around in this thread. The OP has a problem that is very common: *G is only allowed one guest, so his/her two children can't usually get in. Lounge access for "immediate family" in * lounges

SAS usually charges additional guests about 25US$/Person at the lounge entrance in such cases. The pass available in advance is only for SAS passengers, but SAS has no problems gouging you for entry when you are standing there in a predicament.

Lufthansa has a more complex system and cannot charge you at the entrance, but instead requires a voucher to be purchased at checkin. (Costs 35$): https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounge-companions

The question is if paying 50-70$ to have everyone in the same lounge is really worth it. Tough call. Last April I happened to 'enjoy' the SAS lounge in the evening waiting for my CPH flight. It was packed to the gills because SAS also has a contract with Emirates (and a few others). I was there only for 30-45mins and it wasn't very pleasant. The Lufthansa lounge was already closed and I had maximised in the Polaris lounge in C before coming to the concourse where SAS flights depart. The concourse was also packed because two Norwegian, Emirates and my SAS flight was leaving at roughly the same time.
Jainzar likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:25 pm

wish I had Polaris!

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Holy cow there is some misinformation flying around in this thread. The OP has a problem that is very common: *G is only allowed one guest, so his/her two children can't usually get in. Lounge access for "immediate family" in * lounges

SAS usually charges additional guests about 25US$/Person at the lounge entrance in such cases. The pass available in advance is only for SAS passengers, but SAS has no problems gouging you for entry when you are standing there in a predicament.

Lufthansa has a more complex system and cannot charge you at the entrance, but instead requires a voucher to be purchased at checkin. (Costs 35$): https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/lounge-companions

The question is if paying 50-70$ to have everyone in the same lounge is really worth it. Tough call. Last April I happened to 'enjoy' the SAS lounge in the evening waiting for my CPH flight. It was packed to the gills because SAS also has a contract with Emirates (and a few others). I was there only for 30-45mins and it wasn't very pleasant. The Lufthansa lounge was already closed and I had maximised in the Polaris lounge in C before coming to the concourse where SAS flights depart. The concourse was also packed because two Norwegian, Emirates and my SAS flight was leaving at roughly the same time.
Now I'm jealous. But seriously - can I admit one guest (*gold) and purchase one, to get 2 into SAS and then can I go into the Lufthansa lounge across the hall with my other guest? Then we are probably talking $25 to get 4 into lounges.... the math sounds better that way. But not sure it is really allowed?

I don't expect Polaris, but having been in both the SAS and the Lufthansa lounges in EWR (by myself - no family) and having sat in the gate area - well it's a no brainer that the lounges are a significant step up. And way nicer than the "closed to priority pass and outside security" Art and (don't get in when you want to) Lounge, which might as well rename itself "La Compagnie's contract lounge".

BJFly
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:40 pm

Is it gonna work, probably. Is it allowed, probably not.

​​​​​Iirc the rules say that the (free) guest has to leave the lounge with you.
Otherwise you could just get your first guest into the SAS lounge, leave and get your second guest in the LH lounge, leave and get your third guest into the SAS lounge, leave and go to the second guest in the LH lounge. And all that for free.
(Am I the only one who has to think of the wolf, goat, cabbage brain teaser now :P)
Obviously that isn't allowed and the example should only underline the obvious misuse that would otherwise be allowed.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 12:07 am

Is it gonna work, probably. Is it allowed, probably not.

​​​​​Iirc the rules say that the (free) guest has to leave the lounge with you.
Where have you seen that rule? I've seen it stated many places that you and your guest don't need to be on the same flight. You just need to both be on *A flights. That to me imply that you don't need to leave together, and how should they be able to police you leaving together.

Otherwise you could just get your first guest into the SAS lounge, leave and get your second guest in the LH lounge, leave and get your third guest into the SAS lounge, leave and go to the second guest in the LH lounge. And all that for free.
It will probably not work, since you boarding card is registered when you enter the lounge and so is your guest boarding card. If you come back 10 min. later with another guest, I'm pretty sure you would be told you already used your quota of guests.

(Am I the only one who has to think of the wolf, goat, cabbage brain teaser now :P)
Obviously that isn't allowed and the example should only underline the obvious misuse that would otherwise be allowed.
Bringing one guest into the SK lounge and another into the LH lounge is in the gray zone, but it might be within the rules. There are no rules preventing you from visiting all *G lounges if you have the time for it. And as they are independent lounges, why shouldn't you be allowed to bring a guest to each of them, and why do that guest have to be the same?

That said. I'm not in favor of bringing 2 guests into 2 different lounges, IMHO it's misuse of *G benefits despite it's probably within the rules.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 1:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have taken my wife into one lounge, left that lounge and taken another guest into another lounge. No issue at all. Not against the rules either. But you can't rinse and repeat, the LH lounge entrance system notices.

Again, I would ask nicely at the LH checkin what they would suggest you should do.

BTW the 'Art' lounge sells access via loungebuddy for 40$. Waste of money
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:59 am

Lufthansa has it on their website:
https://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/lounge-types-and-access

Footnote 6 reads:
For admission to Senator and Business Lounges, travelling companions must show a valid boarding pass for a Lufthansa/Star Alliance flight departing on the same day. Travelling companions must leave the lounge together with the person inviting them.

I thought that was a general rule.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 6:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Hoping someone can help me with this. I have star alliance gold an am travelling on Lufthansa from Newark. I will have my wife and 2 teenagers traveling with me. As star alliance gold I can get 2 into the lounge. I am willing to purchase the other two entrances. But I can't figure out how to do it.
I can provide some clarity at least from watching the group in front of me at the SAS lounge in Oslo. If you are flying Lufthansa (or presumably any other Star Alliance airline from OSL) then SAS would be delighted to lift NOK 279 (27€) off you, per person, to grant admission. Their boarding passes were laid out for LH prime flights, so it wasn't a Sold As SAS codeshare booking.

Having read this thread , the SAS and Lufthansa websites it is certainly confusing: the SAS lounge area clearly says "Star Alliance travellers can buy admission", their terms and conditions appear to imply only SAS customers can do so, and Lufthansa's website focuses on the free admission for one guest only for (e.g.) Senators, and the companion purchase system, but doesn't mention the SAS system is potentially available to Senators with more than 1 guest or travelling with children.

I can't see a way of Lufthansa / M&M travellers getting the online discount, since SAS's Manage My Booking is information only for Lufthansa bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.