Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Lounge Options Amsterdam (AMS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Lounge Options Amsterdam (AMS)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
FYI on Star Alliance lounge in AMS & Aspire Lounge

At the airport in Amsterdam and I thought that I would make use of the Star Alliance lounge. It's a lovely space.

The lounge is closed sadly, but they point most Star Alliance Gold card members to the Aspire Lounge next door.

Guess which is the only Star Alliance partner with Star Alliance Gold members that aren't allowed to use the Aspire Lounge because the airline refused to sign the agreement to allow them to use the lounge? Here is a hint...the airline code is SK . This is according to the lounge agent.

At this point, no one should be surprised that SAS is so anti-customer that they won't even temporarily sign an agreement that their alliance partners have due to the closed lounge situation. But it is disappointing nonetheless. At this point, what I am surprised at is that the Star Alliance hasn't asked SAS to leave the alliance since they don't even seem interested in doing what their alliance partners consider to be the bare minimum.

The silver lining if you have a Priority Pass membership is that Aspire accepts that. So I got into the lounge in the end. But it's the principle that the stinginess of SAS seems to know no lower bounds.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:40 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Originally Posted by dark_phoenix
Guess which is the only Star Alliance partner with Star Alliance Gold members that aren't allowed to use the Aspire Lounge because the airline refused to sign the agreement to allow them to use the lounge? Here is a hint...the airline code is SK . This is according to the lounge agent.
As far as I can see, "the only airline" with flights from Amsterdam Schipol that is not listed at https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder is:
  • Austrian
  • LOT
  • Swiss
  • TAP
  • Lufthansa
  • SAS
Of course, the lounge finder might be outdated.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: SAS EBD, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United MileagePlus Silver, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aju
As far as I can see, "the only airline" with flights from Amsterdam Schipol that is not listed at https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge-finder is:
  • Austrian
  • LOT
  • Swiss
  • TAP
  • Lufthansa
  • SAS
Of course, the lounge finder might be outdated.
My colleague got in with their Miles and More card (I thought I would have to pay to invite them in with me as my Priority Pass doesn't allow free guests).
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: EBD (*G) & Delta Gold Medallion (STE+)
My colleague got in with their Miles and More card (I thought I would have to pay to invite them in with me as my Priority Pass doesn't allow free guests).
I was told a couple of weeks ago by the agent that they expect to open in June.
dark_phoenix likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Any info on whether the Star Alliance Lounge in Amsterdam will open soon again? Would be nice if it did on June 1st as I will be passing through AMS
Old May 26, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EBGflyer
as I will be passing through AMS
Are you really sure you want to do that?

Johan
SK2751 and Arpoador like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:04 am

I just noticed this thread. When reading your comments, i get the impression that you think that it's the type of gold card which determines your access. Which is not correct. It's the airline that you're flying with that signs the contract and which determines your access. So, if you're flying Air Canada with a SAS gold card, you get access. But if you're flying SAS with a Miles and More gold card, you don't get access.
the810 and JR67 like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedChili
I just noticed this thread. When reading your comments, i get the impression that you think that it's the type of gold card which determines your access. Which is not correct. It's the airline that you're flying with that signs the contract and which determines your access. So, if you're flying Air Canada with a SAS gold card, you get access. But if you're flying SAS with a Miles and More gold card, you don't get access.
No, I understand how it works. I was relaying my experience at the check in counter of the lounge for myself and a colleague (we had two different flights and two different gold cards). As it turns out, my colleague went back two weeks later and was denied access because he had the wrong airline card. So it seems like the Guardian of the Entrance was doing us a favour last time.

Having flown the AMS route a few times now (most recently 10 days ago), the larger issue is that with the *A lounge being closed, this lounge now often gets overcrowded with the few *A airlines that are allowed to use it. Combined with all of the other lounge programmes allowed to access it, they often have to turn people away during rush hours. I had a 50/50 entry success rate on four attempts.

Hopefully the proper *A lounge opens soon and this becomes a non-issue again 😊
Old May 29, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Mind that SK moved to the B-gates at AMS which is a significant walk from the StarAlliance lounge. It was better when they used C-gates but that is no longer the case it seems.
Old May 29, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond (SK); Hilton Diamond + few others
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Are you really sure you want to do that?

Johan
Ha, yeah, heard of the security chaos. Hopefully, it helps having fast track..
Old May 31, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Hopefully ... any updates on the chaos and fast track with *Gold and on the *Lounge are welcomed from my side as well ...
Old Jun 1, 2022, 5:04 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
AMS with SkyPriority is pretty swift despite the coach queues, I can't speak for *A since it uses a different security. The worst thing currently is passport control since AMS does not operate priority queues for passport control so you either waste a lot of time there or jump the queue when you're getting last minute and the security staff will put you in the front.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:19 am

Programs: EBG
Thrice in the recent weeks I have talked to the agent at the entrance to the Aspire lounge, and they insist that it is the airline owning FF program which decides upon admittance. That is why I was denied entry while flying on LX, LH, OS with EBG status. SAS customer service confirmed that in a way, saying that indeed they did not sign agreement with Aspire, and therefore I did not get access. Moreover, they stated that no such contract will be signed in the future. Basically we have to wait until the SA lounge reopens.
Re queues at AMS: much better last week, but people say it might get worse again, so difficult to predict
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by up_north
Thrice in the recent weeks I have talked to the agent at the entrance to the Aspire lounge, and they insist that it is the airline owning FF program which decides upon admittance. That is why I was denied entry while flying on LX, LH, OS with EBG status. SAS customer service confirmed that in a way, saying that indeed they did not sign agreement with Aspire, and therefore I did not get access. Moreover, they stated that no such contract will be signed in the future. Basically we have to wait until the SA lounge reopens.
Re queues at AMS: much better last week, but people say it might get worse again, so difficult to predict
No, it is the operating carrier, e.g. in WRO I get access as SK*G on LH Y but not on SK Y (well, not even on SK J...)
up_north likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by fassy
No, it is the operating carrier, e.g. in WRO I get access as SK*G on LH Y but not on SK Y (well, not even on SK J...)
I would reiterate: SAS has got the same description of the situation from me by mail and confirmed specifically that I have no access to the Aspire lounge no matter which SA airline I am flying, since they have no contract with it. You may well be right, but I am quoting the SK...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.