Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Lounge Options Helsinki (HEL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold

I've got relatives flying from HEL on A3 in J in mid-August, and my understanding is that they would ordinarily be entitled to the SAS lounge at HEL - however, this appears to still be shut "due to coronavirus", which, given the rest of the airport, the country, and the world, seems like a rather lame excuse at this point.

Any whispers around when the SAS HEL lounge might re-open... if ever?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by groenroos
I've got relatives flying from HEL on A3 in J in mid-August, and my understanding is that they would ordinarily be entitled to the SAS lounge at HEL - however, this appears to still be shut "due to coronavirus", which, given the rest of the airport, the country, and the world, seems like a rather lame excuse at this point.

Any whispers around when the SAS HEL lounge might re-open... if ever?
Yes, unfortunately I do not think it will ever open due to SK's current situation. Unless A3 is contracting the Aspire Lounge, then unfortunately they are hosed. Agree that "Closed for COVID" is lame indeed.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 11:46 pm

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I remember another story that due to the extension at HEL they are closed and don't know where it will be located in the future.

Looking at the amount of SK flights nowadays at HEL compared to before March 2020 and the current state of SK I doubt the lounge will open any time soon.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Looking at the amount of SK flights nowadays at HEL compared to before March 2020 and the current state of SK I doubt the lounge will open any time soon.
LH seems to think along these lines: they are now contracting the Aspire Lounge.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 3:11 pm

Programs: AC Elite
It appears the SK lounge in HEL remains closed. Anyone know if SK has a contract lounge arrangement in place in HEL? I'll be headed that way early in the new year and am booked in SAS Plus.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Cloud Lounger
It appears the SK lounge in HEL remains closed. Anyone know if SK has a contract lounge arrangement in place in HEL? I'll be headed that way early in the new year and am booked in SAS Plus.
No, and SK is particularly cheap and doesn't like paying for contract lounges. You can get in the Aspire Lounge with Priority Pass and to Plaza Premium with AX Plat if you have either of those.
Cloud Lounger likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 9:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
No, and SK is particularly cheap and doesn't like paying for contract lounges. You can get in the Aspire Lounge with Priority Pass and to Plaza Premium with AX Plat if you have either of those.
Indeed.

Among the US-flying airlines that are members of any of the big three global airline alliances, SK may well be unique in being so very customer-unfriendly when it comes to contract lounge access for premium passengers at stations without an alliance member airline lounge.
Old Feb 5, 2023, 2:21 pm

I don’t know if this has been discussed before but it seems that Helsinki Lounge has been closure permanently and it is an Aspire lounge now with No access for SAA passengers.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by nordic
I don’t know if this has been discussed before but it seems that Helsinki Lounge has been closure permanently and it is an Aspire lounge now with No access for SAA passengers.
Funny the timing you are bringing this post back to life now. Just these days SAS updated their lounge pages and removed HEL for good.
They also reopened Trondheim apparently. The only one still temporarily close is BGO. Since they have not removed it as they did with HEL maybe it is going to come back when renovation inside the airport finish?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 3:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ballerin
Funny the timing you are bringing this post back to life now. Just these days SAS updated their lounge pages and removed HEL for good.
They also reopened Trondheim apparently. The only one still temporarily close is BGO. Since they have not removed it as they did with HEL maybe it is going to come back when renovation inside the airport finish?
Given what SAS has been doing, I think that the BGO lounge coming back is still on the plate while HEL is — for the foreseeable future — gone to the nether lands with regard to SAS lounge operations.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 7:59 am

It's a pity about the HEL lounge. What seems like an age ago a member of SAS staff told me there would be a new one to coincide with the new check in area but in that it has never now come about, I don't think it's going to. The Aspire lounge is fine and used by all *A carriers except of course SAS but it also allow Priority Pass access. It's not a bad lounge, just very busy as it accomodates everything except Oneworld Schengen flights - and given the state of the AY Schengen lounge I would probably still use the Aspire one.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Indeed.

Among the US-flying airlines that are members of any of the big three global airline alliances, SK may well be unique in being so very customer-unfriendly when it comes to contract lounge access for premium passengers at stations without an alliance member airline lounge.
Must be a consequence of selling Business Class tickets below the price of premium economy tickets with the other big three airlines. €1650 for ARN-LAX in J isn't going to pay for nice things.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
I am happy to report that I am currently sitting in the space where the SAS lounge was at HEL. It reopened a week ago as an Aspire lounge. The decor has been refreshed and the offerings are very similar if not identical to the other Aspire lounge.

Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by GaryK84
I am happy to report that I am currently sitting in the space where the SAS lounge was at HEL. It reopened a week ago as an Aspire lounge. The decor has been refreshed and the offerings are very similar if not identical to the other Aspire lounge.

That's great news - the other lounge is such a long way from the low numbered gates - but the other one does have good views out of the window.

I guess you are not travelling with SAS?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Harper50505
That's great news - the other lounge is such a long way from the low numbered gates - but the other one does have good views out of the window.

I guess you are not travelling with SAS?
The views from here are urban to put it politely.

I am travelling on SK but I have a PP which got me in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.