Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Is ARN-T4 re-opening on 15 June as scheduled?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is ARN-T4 re-opening on 15 June as scheduled?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
We arrived by Arlanda Express today (Sunday) around 14:05. Everyone had to get off at Arlanda South due to terminal entry checks (people departing in more than 3 hours not allowed to enter) being performed in SkyCity. We were past security around 14:40. Security itself was quick (around 5 minutes via fast track), the main issue was dropping the bag. Automated bag drop had an insane line so I opted for business class check-in - but that also took around 20 minutes.

Business lounge is packed with a queue outside of it. Gold lounge copes a bit better - we were asked to wait a little, but got in after a minute or two. The new low is offering plastic cups in the lounge because they can't replace regular glasses fast enough.

Edit: Also, coffee machine is broken. Expect a revolution within few hours 😀
ffay005 likes this.

Last edited by the810; Jun 19, 2022 at 7:27 am
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by the810
We arrived by Arlanda Express today (Sunday) around 14:05. Everyone had to get off at Arlanda South due to terminal entry checks (people departing in more than 3 hours not allowed to enter) being performed in SkyCity. We were past security around 14:40. Security itself was quick (around 5 minutes via fast track), the main issue was dropping the bag. Automated bag drop had an insane line so I opted for business class check-in - but that also took around 20 minutes.
So what do they require to enter the terminal? If people have to dig for papers or look stuff up on phones then it might become a bottleneck. People must be allowed into Skycity or not?

Business/ Gold check-in can be quite slow at ARN unfortunately.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by gnaget
So what do they require to enter the terminal? If people have to dig for papers or look stuff up on phones then it might become a bottleneck. People must be allowed into Skycity or not?
They had quite a few security guards there and the process was fairly quick - basically no wait. No idea what other documents are accepted, but I've shown our boarding passes.

​​​​​The check took place in the SkyCity by the cafe next to the train station. You can access most of the SkyCity without going through it but there are some exceptions - e.g. the pasta restaurant is behind the line (but maybe they let people through if they claim they just want to use some public facility).
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sounds more and more like Sweden is becoming like India. Decades ago they started with time limits on entering the airport terminals to check-in. Didn’t like it then and still don’t like it, as then they want to see ticketed passenger info (and eventually even passenger ID for domestic flights too).

Business lounge is packed with a queue outside of it. Gold lounge copes a bit better - we were asked to wait a little, but got in after a minute or two. The new low is offering plastic cups in the lounge because they can't replace regular glasses fast enough.

Edit: Also, coffee machine is broken. Expect a revolution within few hours 😀
Maybe SAS will start with some US lounge thing: no use more than 3 hours before that day’s originating flight for the passenger.

Did they close up the ability for admitted lounge guests from the business side to go over to the Gold side? I know a lot of people had decided to buy up to Plus to get Fast Track security after noting what a mess it had been.. Then they can go to the SK lounge too, filling up the place from the business side.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:08 pm
Suspended

https://www.dn.se/sverige/koerna-mot...la-pa-arlanda/ I am not a subscriber but can see from the non-redacted text that the regular queues on Friday morning were down to 10 min. But it does not say when during Friday morning........
If you are flying SK and going thru 5F security then I would suggest 06:50 to add some buffer. Normally I would arrive 07:15 for such a flight.
Historically Saturday and Sat morning are busy due to the charter flight, so really bad during this "chaos". But these people use the 5D security.
Friday morning, it was pretty soon around 7-7:30am that the T5 security screening went down to having a c. 10-15 minute wait. Just before that it was 45+ minutes.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did they close up the ability for admitted lounge guests from the business side to go over to the Gold side?
I didn't check, but I would be surprised if that was still possible, given the substantial queue to enter the business lounge (while Gold lounge guests were admitted with close to no wait).
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:21 pm

They had quite a few security guards there and the process was fairly quick - basically no wait. No idea what other documents are accepted, but I've shown our boarding passes.

​​​​​The check took place in the SkyCity by the cafe next to the train station. You can access most of the SkyCity without going through it but there are some exceptions - e.g. the pasta restaurant is behind the line (but maybe they let people through if they claim they just want to use some public facility).
Ok, of course boarding passes, but if I am checking luggage then I don't normally bother with OLCI. I guess that having the reservation email on the phone would work.
I would always be arriving by car on the upper level. I guess there are guards there too by the revolving doors?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:22 pm

Friday morning, it was pretty soon around 7-7:30am that the T5 security screening went down to having a c. 10-15 minute wait. Just before that it was 45+ minutes.
On Friday they had not implemented the 3 hour rule so hopefully it is better this week.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:41 pm
Suspended

On Friday they had not implemented the 3 hour rule so hopefully it is better this week.
It seems to me that it would be better most of this week even without that rule.

A 3-hour rule for passengers headed to non-Schengen destinations too? That’s going to mess up some people that wouldn’t end up messed up if allowed access earlier to the departure area. Maybe Swedish media should queue and cue up for stories about people messed up by this rule.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 6:47 pm

It seems to me that it would be better most of this week even without that rule.

A 3-hour rule for passengers headed to non-Schengen destinations too? That’s going to mess up some people that wouldn’t end up messed up if allowed access earlier to the departure area. Maybe Swedish media should queue and cue up for stories about people messed up by this rule.
The police has been under-staffed for Schengen exit? At that point they need to let the people with immediate departures to jump the queue. Isn't it automated now for Swedes and other Schengen passport holders?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 7:02 pm
Suspended

The police has been under-staffed for Schengen exit?
The bottle neck isn’t the Schengen exit passport controls at the airport, at least not from what I’ve seen or been told this year. The landside mess for passengers has been followed by relative airside serenity at the messiest landside hours for those very same passengers. It’s what needs to be done before getting airside at ARN that means some people headed to non-Schengen destinations would be better off with being allowed access to the departures areas more than 3 hours in advance.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:07 am

This was at 06:55 CET on a Wednesday. Not bad.......

Waiting time in Security

Terminal 2
8 min
Terminal 5D
5 min
Terminal 5F
2 min
ffay005 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:43 am

Sounds more and more like Sweden is becoming like India. .
Well, Sweden is far from the only European country that has imposed such a rule for entering the airport these days. Amsterdam/Schipol, to name one example, is restricting passengers from entering the terminal as well if they arrive more than 4 hours before their flight. I'm not saying Arlanda is great but there are airports in Europe with worse conditions than Arlanda.

Last edited by SK989; Jun 22, 2022 at 2:52 am
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:50 am

The nervous-nellies aren’t the security screening problem at ARN. While it doesn’t help that vacation is like a religion in Sweden.
I don't know your nationality but looking forward to the summer vacation isn't really a typical Swedish thing. In my view it's the same in e.g. Germany or Finland. What do you mean by "vacation is like a religion in Sweden" - how do Swedes differ from e.g. Germans or Finns in that respect?
Old Jun 22, 2022, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Originally Posted by SK989
I don't know your nationality but looking forward to the summer vacation isn't really a typical Swedish thing. In my view it's the same in e.g. Germany or Finland. What do you mean by "vacation is like a religion in Sweden" - how do Swedes differ from e.g. Germans or Finns in that respect?
I think the suggestion is that Germans don’t all go on holiday in the same two months and typically for a continuous block of four weeks. For all its positives, one serious consequence of this (from airport security to train drivers to maternity wards) is that Sweden has a big problem securing appropriately trained and experienced substitute staff in the summer time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.