Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled US Domestic Segment - DoT Refund Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2021, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY+, SK EB

I have a ticket to the US with an UA operated segment. The UA segment got cancelled, later the flight was replaced with a flight over 3 hours later than the original one.

SK says no full refund (only taxes), since you need to cancel immediately via phone otherwise it is accepted by their policy. I could not find anything like that in the DoT rules (and as far as I know there is nothing like that in the EC261 rules either).

So I plan to call, cancel and file straight a DoT complaint to request a full refund.

Anything I missed?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jainzar
I have a ticket to the US with an UA operated segment. The UA segment got cancelled, later the flight was replaced with a flight over 3 hours later than the original one.

SK says no full refund (only taxes), since you need to cancel immediately via phone otherwise it is accepted by their policy. I could not find anything like that in the DoT rules (and as far as I know there is nothing like that in the EC261 rules either).

So I plan to call, cancel and file straight a DoT complaint to request a full refund.

Anything I missed?
Why not fly on the later flight? When is the flight?
In today's world a 3hr schedule change is not unusual.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 4:50 am
aju

Programs: SK Diamond *G
Originally Posted by Jainzar
Usually SAS sends an e-mail with information about a route change, and a text that you have to object within 10/15 days or else it will be assumed that you accept the routing change.

I've had no problems contacting SAS a week's time after the e-mail and select anouther routing, or full refund.
Old Dec 16, 2021, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Why not fly on the later flight? When is the flight?
In today's world a 3hr schedule change is not unusual.
There are better connections now with other carriers
Old Dec 16, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
The EC261 rules only apply 14 days before departure. Earlier changes are not protected. I do not know about DOT.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SK2751
The EC261 rules only apply 14 days before departure. Earlier changes are not protected. I do not know about DOT.
The compensation part only applies if you were informed less than 14 days before. but your right to choose between reimbursement, re-routing or return.applies no matter how far in advance you were notified of a cancellation.
However, if you have accepted rerouting (i.e. by not doing anything for 15 days), you have forfeited those rights. At least that's my interpretation of EC261.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:33 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by SK2751
Compensation indeed only applies within 14 days, but right to care (which includes rerouting, or refund) applies at all times.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 1:34 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by studentCPH
However, if you have accepted rerouting (i.e. by not doing anything for 15 days), you have forfeited those rights. At least that's my interpretation of EC261.
The question is whether the assumption that customer agrees with rerouting if they don't reply within some amount of time is compliant with the law.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.