Search

EC261 Compensation due?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2021, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, OW S
EC261 Compensation due?

Hi all,
I'm on the middle of a segment run with the x4 promo and SAS cancelled one of my flights within 7 days before departure. As can be seen, the departure time for the first flight is now 3h25m earlier than predicted. I have been checking the EC261 regulation and I believe there would be a case as the flight number has changed (cancellation) and there is a variation of more than 2h in the departure date. Is my assumption correct?
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Peter1012
Hi all,
[...] SAS cancelled one of my flights within 7 days before departure. As can be seen, the departure time for the first flight is now 3h25m earlier than predicted. [...] there would be a case as the flight number has changed (cancellation) and there is a variation of more than 2h in the departure date. Is my assumption correct?
That would be in line with my reading and understanding of the EC261 regulation. If the cancelation is within 7 days of the original planned departure, just 1 hour earlier departure or 2h later arrival would be satisfactory.
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
That would be in line with my reading and understanding of the EC261 regulation. If the cancelation is within 7 days of the original planned departure, just 1 hour earlier departure or 2h later arrival would be satisfactory.
I can manage to make it for the new time to the airport without much disruption, but still, won't be nice having to wake up at 3 a.m on that day. I am assuming though that SAS will try to avoid the EC261 compensation due to the 'exceptional circumstances'. We'll see how this goes
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is safe to assume that SK will deny the claim for compensation with reference to Covid-19, disruptions etc being "extraordinary circumstances"- but give it a try.

Are you sure that you are still confirmed on SK583 CPH-AGP?; from your itinerary above it seems to have been cancelled as well and there seems to be no new flight to AGP booked;
Often1 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: EBG
Sitting around in a very dead CPH for many hours will not be fun either, before you arrived just before your next segment. The lounge in CPH was only ok before corona (but way better than ARN) but last time I was there it was a very sad affair.

Malaga, you will need a PCR test looks like, in Sweden they are about 2000SEK a pop, or did you find a way around it?

As for your compo, I think they will claim "exceptional circumstances". They did when they changed mine to go to Turkey about 8 months ago and I could not be bothered to fight it...I just took a cancellation voucher.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
It is safe to assume that SK will deny the claim for compensation with reference to Covid-19, disruptions etc being "extraordinary circumstances"- but give it a try.

Are you sure that you are still confirmed on SK583 CPH-AGP?; from your itinerary above it seems to have been cancelled as well and there seems to be no new flight to AGP booked;
Yeah, my hopes are not very high but I'll give it a try; these days I'm having a bit more free time than usually so could be worth fighting a bit.

It still seems to be sold on the SK website. It also seems to be confirmed in the reservation (?).
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nussle
Sitting around in a very dead CPH for many hours will not be fun either, before you arrived just before your next segment. The lounge in CPH was only ok before corona (but way better than ARN) but last time I was there it was a very sad affair.

Malaga, you will need a PCR test looks like, in Sweden they are about 2000SEK a pop, or did you find a way around it?

As for your compo, I think they will claim "exceptional circumstances". They did when they changed mine to go to Turkey about 8 months ago and I could not be bothered to fight it...I just took a cancellation voucher.
I was at CPH in January and it truly looked dead; I assume I'll just bring my laptop, some water and work from there. Let's hope it gets better by summer, I just read on TV2dk that the DK Gov is planning to lift most restrictions by summer.

I'm planning to get tested in Sweden; it costs 1000kr with travel certificate if you do it with one of SAS partners. It's worth it for me as I'll spend some days in Spain visiting family.

Yeah, I was also assuming they will. I'll fight them a bit and we'll see what I can get though
Old Apr 13, 2021, 4:46 am

To be honest, over the last 10 years, for me SAS has been the only airline which always payed up their dues in regards to EC261 compensation without any fuzz. They never pushed back with 'exceptional circumstances' or some other lame excuse if they were to blame.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:13 am

Agreed Fassy, it was the first time for me too and its kinda the reason I did not fight it. I felt it was fair...it was rather exceptional circumstances, morally I felt it was not fair to fight.

One of SAS partners for the COVID test, 1000SEK per test including travel certificate!! ok, where is the list of where these are??

I bet none north of ARN.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nussle
Agreed Fassy, it was the first time for me too and its kinda the reason I did not fight it. I felt it was fair...it was rather exceptional circumstances, morally I felt it was not fair to fight.

One of SAS partners for the COVID test, 1000SEK per test including travel certificate!! ok, where is the list of where these are??

I bet none north of ARN.
They have quite several testing locations in Sweden, including ARN, GOT, MMX or UME. Here is the link! https://reseintyg.vaccina.se/sas/
nussle likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:55 am

Nothing near me, ARN is the closest and its 1 hour by train.

But, if some of these places get their antigen tests going it will be a real game for me.

Thank you for that...
Peter1012 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 7:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Any cancellation within 14d is reason for 261, SAS pays without issue.
kauppias and Peter1012 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Well, in 99% of all EC261/2004 article 7 compensation claims, the airline will deny the claim.
So the passenger needs to sue the airline - often on the passenger will prevail.

As Covid-19 has been raging throughout the world for 15 months now, a cancellation in April 2021 (7 days before departure) cannot be considered to be an "extraordinary circumstance" anymore.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, in 99% of all EC261/2004 article 7 compensation claims, the airline will deny the claim.
As said before, my experience with SK has been consistently pretty great - quite opposite to LH or UA...
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 6:50 am
Original Poster

An update on the case:

I wrote SAS yesterday right after I took the first flight. A few minutes ago I got their answer:

"Thank you for contacting SAS,
As per our investigation I have found that original flight got cancelled from our end we have rebooked a alternative flight for the passenger which you have boarded and also this particular rebooked flight has reached the final destination well within the time frame. Therefore, I am sorry to say that I’m unable to meet your request for compensation in this case.
I have now sent you a extra expenses in SAS Voucher containing the amount SEK 299 (equivalent to EUR 29). The SAS Voucher is valid one year from the date of issue and will expire on 20 April 2022.
Information about the SAS voucher:
- The voucher will be sent to you in a separate mail, with instructions.
- You need to wait 48 hours, counting from when you receive the voucher, until the voucher can be used.
- The voucher acts as a gift card, ie. You do not need to use the full amount at once.
- The voucher is not personal.
- The voucher can be used as a payment method when booking on SAS’s website or by phone to SAS Sales & Service.
It might take a while before you receive the e-mail, please check your spam folder. If you have not yet received your SAS Voucher within an hour, please contact us again.
I hope that we will have the opportunity to soon welcome you aboard again."

As per the EC261, art. 5 c), I can read that "
In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless... they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

So, I believe that I should still be entitled to compensation. Is my interpretation of the rules correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.