Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Shareholder Program Benefits and Discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Shareholder Program Benefits and Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As an American this kinda appealed, until I learned of the residency requirements. Seeing as SAS trades in the US as an ADR, and many Americans have security accounts that can directly hold shares traded in the EU, wonder if this violates US securities rules? It is my understanding that it is quite illegal to treat different shareholders within the same tranche differently.
There are two categories of ADRs in the US: sponsored ADRs and unsponsored ADRs.

In the case of unsponsored ADRs, investors in the unsponsored ADRs may easily lack shareholder benefits and voting rights for the company's class of security represented by the ADR.

The SAS ADR registration statement was filed with certification under Rule 466 to be an unsponsored ADR back in 2008. That was when this kind of unsponsored ADR thing took off like crazy in the US.
worldwidedreamer likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 12, 2021 at 7:03 pm
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:00 am

As an American this kinda appealed, until I learned of the residency requirements. Seeing as SAS trades in the US as an ADR, and many Americans have security accounts that can directly hold shares traded in the EU, wonder if this violates US securities rules? It is my understanding that it is quite illegal to treat different shareholders within the same tranche differently.
If you use an American broker or weird American instruments (ADRs), then SK might not even be able to see that you are a shareholder.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Im a new user
If you use an American broker or weird American instruments (ADRs), then SK might not even be able to see that you are a shareholder.
Even were SK to be informed about non-Scandinavian-residing individuals who are its shareholders in some way, SAS still generally wouldn't provide such shareholders this elite status shareholder benefit. SAS limited this SAS shareholder benefit to individuals registered as resident in the SAS home market countries.

Depository receipt instruments for some foreign company stocks aren't so weird since there are plenty of non-American equivalents: there are EDRs and GDRs in Europe, IDRs in India, LDRs in Luxembourg and so on.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are two categories of ADRs in the US: sponsored ADRs and unsponsored ADRs.

In the case of unsponsored ADRs, investors in the unsponsored ADRs may easily lack shareholder benefits and voting rights for the company's class of security represented by the ADR.

The SAS ADR registration statement was filed with certification under Rule 466 to be an unsponsored ADR back in 2008. That was when this kind of unsponsored ADR thing took off like crazy in the US.
That's easily the most fascinating thing I've learned here in ages. Even though I'm a recovering investment banker, and work in the adjacent venture capital industry, I had no idea that ADRs could be unsponsored. It also brings up the question of what non-US securities I can directly hold with a US fiduciary. As a US citizen most foreign financial institutions are afraid of the regulatory risk in having me as a customer. The combination of US tax policy and unsponsored ADRs creates real governance issues!
Smuffe likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:01 am
Suspended

That's easily the most fascinating thing I've learned here in ages. Even though I'm a recovering investment banker, and work in the adjacent venture capital industry, I had no idea that ADRs could be unsponsored. It also brings up the question of what non-US securities I can directly hold with a US fiduciary. As a US citizen most foreign financial institutions are afraid of the regulatory risk in having me as a customer. The combination of US tax policy and unsponsored ADRs creates real governance issues!
If you're more interested in some of the issues in this area, look up court decisions, administrative rulings and regulatory announcements which touch upon the SCOTUS ruling on Morrison v. National Australia Bank. It provides a bit of a window into some of those issues.

Unsponsored ADRs took off like crazy in the US in 2008. And even with the Dodd-Frank Act era coming into play after the 2008-2009 financial crisis, there are these kind of ADRs around being traded today OTC. Caveat emptor is what I say about putting money into these kind of securities -- and I would say the same thing about sponsored ADRs too. These ADRs do have some use for retail investors; but, in this case, one use they don't have is to be easily useful toward getting the shareholder benefits from SAS that SAS markets to its registered individual investors resident in its home market countries.
worldwidedreamer and Smuffe like this.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 9:34 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
If you're more interested in some of the issues in this area, look up court decisions, administrative rulings and regulatory announcements which touch upon the SCOTUS ruling on Morrison v. National Australia Bank. It provides a bit of a window into some of those issues.

Unsponsored ADRs took off like crazy in the US in 2008. And even with the Dodd-Frank Act era coming into play after the 2008-2009 financial crisis, there are these kind of ADRs around being traded today OTC. Caveat emptor is what I say about putting money into these kind of securities -- and I would say the same thing about sponsored ADRs too. These ADRs do have some use for retail investors; but, in this case, one use they don't have is to be easily useful toward getting the shareholder benefits from SAS that SAS markets to its registered individual investors resident in its home market countries.
Next time I'm having whiskey with my wealth manager, I'll have to ask him about what types of non-US registered securities I can safely buy...and from what jurisdictions. If I'm less comfortable with HK jurisprudence going forward, does that mean I should hold those securities either traded/domiciled in Singapore or someplace else?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I hold 500 shares of SAS ...
Am I reading it correctly that SAS shares have been doing okay so far this year, unlike the stock market in general which has experienced quite the blood bath?

https://borsen.dk/investor/aktie/S2529/SAS-DKK/SASAB
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Well, I invested roughly 1000€ into SAS and the MSCI Nordic ETF in 2019-20. Look at how they performed

Smuffe likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 1:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by vanillabean
Am I reading it correctly that SAS shares have been doing okay so far this year, unlike the stock market in general which has experienced quite the blood bath?

https://borsen.dk/investor/aktie/S2529/SAS-DKK/SASAB
The persons who averaged in from around the 2020 November Election Day and held on beyond November 30th 2020 until present, they are up 40+% along with the status IIRC.

Late December 2021 purchases of SAS share are also above water currently.
Smuffe and vanillabean like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I wouldnt dare to buy any airline stock. Reason being overinvestments which needs no business high school to think out. If shares rise, they only rise for a speculative reasons. So the stocks can be good for speculators
nacho likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:06 am
Suspended

As the saying goes, a great way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire who puts too much for too long into an airline.
SK2751, fassy and Smuffe like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
As the saying goes, a great way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire who puts too much for too long into an airline.
Or, how does a middle-east oilman become a millionaire? He buys a soccer team in England.
GUWonder and Smuffe like this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFlash
Or, how does a middle-east oilman become a millionaire? He buys a soccer team in England.
Not sure which English football clubs you have in mind, but I was under the impression that much of that money is ultimately national government money behind the front and thus it's just play money that buys those teams.

Maybe SAS can become an English football club and get some play money sent its way too. Given how the Norwegians have dropped out of pouring money into SAS shares, maybe Gulf Arab kingdom money can be the replacement for the Mid-West kingdom money that bailed out from bailing out SAS. From SAS AB to SAS FK?

I'm not going to be surprised if LH is going to eat SK one day. Or maybe it can be Aeroflot ---- if Finland and Sweden don't go into NATO sooner than later, and Germany doesn't try to stop it.
Smuffe likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 21, 2022 at 7:33 am
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
LH might eat it IF SK ditches all the expensive employees. Mr and I were talking about SK survival today and we think it will hang on life support for as long as it can because it is after all a flag carrier in Scandinavia. We don't think the Swedish government will let go of it, nor the Danish politicians. There are a lot of voters still enjoying the great benefit working at SAS. No matter what we will not buy their shares.

SAS is hiring CPH based cabin crew:

"We are excited to announce that SAS Link Crew Services A/S and SAS Connect Crew Services A/S are looking for Cabin Crew to operate out of Copenhagen. "

https://jobs.aapaviation.com/job/sas...ew-copenhagen/

I guess it's a separate company from SAS so that the contracts might not be as good as those who has been working there for a long time.
Smuffe likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by nacho
might eat it IF SK ditches all the expensive employees. ... the contracts might not be as good as those who has been working there for a long time.
You might see the dilema in some marriages too!

SAS. No matter what we will not buy their shares.
Down 3.89% on Friday, it appears. Not buying the dip?

Of course my dilemma is when to get back into stocks. We dropped from 80% of the portfolio to 10% a few weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.