Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Sas put majority of operations on hold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sas put majority of operations on hold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: More than one
In another DK media it's mentioned that all the airlines have to meet all the conditions to get access to the guarantee. The only exception it the 1.2 Billion debt reduction for DY. This is specific for DY to make sure the government doesn't throw a lot of money at an airline which the other creditor then liquidate.
Another condition that DY have a problem with it the equity. It has to be at 8% and right now only SK and Widerøe can match that.

I have to say. I'm surprised how fair the NO government are supporting the airlines. The extra conditions for DY is fully understandable as it's completely dependent on the mercy of it's creditor. It would be stupid to pump a lot of money into the company, which all will go to the creditor if they pull the plug afterwards. It's not long ago when DY used all the slots at Gatwick as security for extending a large loan till October this year.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
A nice (?) video from Kastrup with all the SK machines parked on the runway: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/et...havns-lufthavn
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:01 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Is 7300 the number of employees in Norway or global? I don't understand why the Norwegian government would invest in the holding and not demand that the assets relevant to Norway are moved to an independent entity and only fund that. Or demand that the bailout is used on buying the assets relevant to Norway and rehire the employees in Norway into a new company and let the holding default. Keeping as little competition as needed to keep SAS honest in the Nordics is relevant but perhaps Norwegian tax payers don't benefit from flights between Rome and Los Angeles while there are ample competitive options from real airlines to get to LA from Norway.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:36 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose
Is 7300 the number of employees in Norway or global? I don't understand why the Norwegian government would invest in the holding and not demand that the assets relevant to Norway are moved to an independent entity and only fund that. Or demand that the bailout is used on buying the assets relevant to Norway and rehire the employees in Norway into a new company and let the holding default. Keeping as little competition as needed to keep SAS honest in the Nordics is relevant but perhaps Norwegian tax payers don't benefit from flights between Rome and Los Angeles while there are ample competitive options from real airlines to get to LA from Norway.
For once I tend to agree with you Seems an unfair and wasteful use of Norwegian tax payers’ money to bail out the non-Norway relevant parts of Norwegian.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
For once I tend to agree with you Seems an unfair and wasteful use of Norwegian tax payers’ money to bail out the non-Norway relevant parts of Norwegian.
Just as with SK, it doesn't really make sense to separate the company and only support the local entities. The route might be FCO - LAX, but the crew might be from norwegian NO and the bird from norwegian DK. SK do exactly the same. I've been on CPH-ARN flights, where it was operated by SK Ireland.

In my view, the Norwegian government has done the right thing with the additional requirements for DY where the existing creditors has to pitch in too. No matter whether the company is local or global. Don't thrown money after a company which might be liquidated by it's creditor afterwards.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond, Delta Skymiles 360, BAEC LTG, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The difference with SK is that all relevant governments that have a stake in SK, regardless of wether that is ownership or simply an economic development stake, are making cash available on similar terms and similar amounts. Those countries also need airports and airlines after COVID-19 and SK is a better choice for at least DK and SE but most likely also NO.

Regardless of wether a NO aircraft and DK crew is used, unless almost all European governments invest in Norwegian, it creates an unbalanced and disproportional investment from the Norwegian tax payer. Since DY serves no real purpose outside of keeping SK honest in the Nordics (which I could personally care less about and would potentially benefit from SK being able to monopolize the Nordic routes again if the proceeds were used for better and/or more intra-EU and intercontinental flying) for the tax payer.

I agree that it makes no sense to invest in a sinking ship (unless you're in the salvaging business), but the wider interest to the people eventually picking up the bill is unclear. Norway and Europe do not need more LLCs, especially not while the product and service of its real airlines have been on the decline for years. Most Norwegian airports have no lack of competition and within the Nordics there are semi-plausible alternatives to flying.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Does anyone know what is happening with SAS bookings at the moment? I was booked on HEL-ARN for 7APR and the flight is listed as operating. However MMB is showing new flight on 6APR and the connecting flight has vanished. Both originally booked flights are listed as operating. Tickets sales is not available to neither of the routes on 7APR and EF knows nothing about the flights at all.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:41 am

The difference with SK is that all relevant governments that have a stake in SK, regardless of wether that is ownership or simply an economic development stake, are making cash available on similar terms and similar amounts. Those countries also need airports and airlines after COVID-19 and SK is a better choice for at least DK and SE but most likely also NO.
The airline package offered by the DK government is offered to all airlines with base in DK. DY do not have a base in DK, so they can't use the DK package. As far as I understand, the packaged offered by the NO government is also offered to all airlines with a base in NO and only DY have special requirements due to their financial situation. The package offered in SE, I'm not sure about.

Regardless of wether a NO aircraft and DK crew is used, unless almost all European governments invest in Norwegian, it creates an unbalanced and disproportional investment from the Norwegian tax payer. Since DY serves no real purpose outside of keeping SK honest in the Nordics (which I could personally care less about and would potentially benefit from SK being able to monopolize the Nordic routes again if the proceeds were used for better and/or more intra-EU and intercontinental flying) for the tax payer.

I agree that it makes no sense to invest in a sinking ship (unless you're in the salvaging business), but the wider interest to the people eventually picking up the bill is unclear. Norway and Europe do not need more LLCs, especially not while the product and service of its real airlines have been on the decline for years. Most Norwegian airports have no lack of competition and within the Nordics there are semi-plausible alternatives to flying.
If DY should fold, it will just open a door for ryanair and easyjet in the Nordic marked, so I'm not so sure SK will benefit from DY folding. But DY will probably be facing more troubles in the future anyway. As far as I understand ryanair has decided to sign up with one of the major ticket system, which will make their tickets available to many large companies who are using CWT as TA. I really hope this is not true as I would reject any business trip where I'm forced to fly ryanair.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by avermat
Does anyone know what is happening with SAS bookings at the moment? I was booked on HEL-ARN for 7APR and the flight is listed as operating. However MMB is showing new flight on 6APR and the connecting flight has vanished. Both originally booked flights are listed as operating. Tickets sales is not available to neither of the routes on 7APR and EF knows nothing about the flights at all.
Due to the major disruptions, the normal cancellation procedure isn't used. Automatic rebooking therefore doesn't happen and the online booking systems aren't always uptodate. This includes SK's own online booking system. This should be the official list of flights which are operating https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-in...ating-flights/

If you are affected by the disruptions, you should call you TA. If your TA is SK they have a priority number for anyone who is traveling within the next 3 days. The number can be found here https://www.sas.dk/traffic-information/message/
Old Apr 1, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Due to the major disruptions, the normal cancellation procedure isn't used. Automatic rebooking therefore doesn't happen and the online booking systems aren't always uptodate. This includes SK's own online booking system. This should be the official list of flights which are operating https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-in...ating-flights/

If you are affected by the disruptions, you should call you TA. If your TA is SK they have a priority number for anyone who is traveling within the next 3 days. The number can be found here https://www.sas.dk/traffic-information/message/
Thanks. As I wrote the flights on my original booking are listed as operating normally. Why would they rebook without notification to another flight and just drop out the other?

EDIT: Checked SAS lists again. Today these flights are no longer listed as operating. Apparently MMB was showing cancellations earlier than these lists. Solved!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
As mentioned in the EB Kafe, SAS is looking to cut 5000 jobs

SAS INITIATES PROCESSES TO REDUCE THE SIZE OF ITS FUTURE WORKFORCE DUE TO LOWER EXPECTED DEMAND FOR AIR TRAVEL

April 28, 2020 08:00
Regulatory informationAs a result of COVID-19, demand is expected to be significantly affected during the remainder of 2020 and it will take some years before demand returns to the levels experienced before the outbreak. Consequently, SAS needs to adapt the business to a lower demand environment. As a consequence, SAS will initiate processes to reduce the size of its future workforce by up to 5,000 full-time positions.

The COVID-19 outbreak has removed most of the demand for air travel and thereby the commercial basis for airlines. Currently, SAS is only operating a very limited domestic network in Norway and Sweden. Given the current restrictions, SAS expects limited activity in the important summer season. In addition, it will most likely take some years before demand returns to the levels seen before COVID-19.The workforce in SAS has notice periods with a mean of six months. The uncertainty regarding demand and the time it takes to adapt the organization means that SAS must act proactively. This gives SAS the flexibility to ramp-up the business quickly if demand returns, but also to take further actions if recovery takes longer than currently envisaged.

The potential reduction of the workforce by up to 5,000 full-time positions will be split with approximately 1,900 full-time positions in Sweden, 1,300 in Norway and 1,700 in Denmark. The processes will be implemented in accordance with the labor law practices in each respective country. During this process, SAS will actively engage with its unions and other stakeholders to seek solutions to reduce the number of actual layoffs across the Group, as well as other productivity enhancements.

“COVID-19 has forced SAS to face a new and unprecedented reality that will reverberate not only in the coming months, but also during the coming years. Our ambition is to continue to be the leading airline in Scandinavia and to have a leading role in the Scandinavian infrastructure as a guarantor of national and international connectivity. In order to continue this important societal function, we need to adapt our cost base to the prevailing circumstances. Regretfully, we are forced to adapt our workforce to lower passenger demand. Not least in view of the company’s successful journey in recent years, which has been made possible by the great work done by SAS’s competent and dedicated employees. We will now work intensively together with trade union representatives and others to identify solutions so that as few people as possible are affected. Furthermore, we remain ready to quickly ramp-up operations and reduce the number of affected positions if demand recovers more quickly,” says Rickard Gustafson, CEO SAS.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
A significant minority of the SAS CPH workforce lives in Sweden. So for Sweden the cuts will hurt more as they come from SAS In Denmark and SAS in Sweden.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
A significant minority of the SAS CPH workforce lives in Sweden. So for Sweden the cuts will hurt more as they come from SAS In Denmark and SAS in Sweden.
Yeah, especially if they don't get a good package, if they live in Sweden and work in Denmark, and if they are fired, they will have to take unemployment benefits from Sweden which is significant less than on the Danish side.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: A3*G, LH*FQTV
Does anybody here have any information on SAS' plans to re-start traffic from CPH/government regulations in Denmark regarding intra-Schengen travels? I'm currently in Berlin and had a ticket TXL-CPH for Apr 14 and now I'm stuck in a loop of cancellation and rebooking. First I was rebooked onto a flight on Apr 21, then May 11, now that one was canceled too. While it's not pressing for me to return to CPH (-> Malmö), I'm getting a bit tired of this game and I wonder whether there's any end in sight. (I understand that I have EC261 rights and also other travel options such as LH, trains and ferries, if need be.)

Since there seems to be a loosening of corona-related policies across Europe, I briefly tried to check for news reports whether the Danes are planning to change their border restrictions (which I guess would imply SAS considering a reboot). I didn't find anything myself though, but my Danish comprehension is also limited, so I'd be happy for pointers if anybody here knows anything.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: SK Eurobonus Diamond (Lifetime Star Gold), Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by nini_su
Does anybody here have any information on SAS' plans to re-start traffic from CPH/government regulations in Denmark regarding intra-Schengen travels? I'm currently in Berlin and had a ticket TXL-CPH for Apr 14 and now I'm stuck in a loop of cancellation and rebooking. First I was rebooked onto a flight on Apr 21, then May 11, now that one was canceled too. While it's not pressing for me to return to CPH (-> Malmö), I'm getting a bit tired of this game and I wonder whether there's any end in sight. (I understand that I have EC261 rights and also other travel options such as LH, trains and ferries, if need be.)

Since there seems to be a loosening of corona-related policies across Europe, I briefly tried to check for news reports whether the Danes are planning to change their border restrictions (which I guess would imply SAS considering a reboot). I didn't find anything myself though, but my Danish comprehension is also limited, so I'd be happy for pointers if anybody here knows anything.
That is yet to be decided. The PM has promised that before 10-May they will make a comprehensive plan for what can re-open on 10-May and what will come in the future (e.g. after 10-May). But we may not hear anything before very close to the 10th.

Svantevit.
nini_su likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.