Wiki Posts
Search

Shifting away from Eurobonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*D
Shifting away from Eurobonus

So, I recently moved to India from Europe. I currently have EBD status and will very likely be able to keep it for next year as well. Earlier, on my trips to and within India, flying Air India on Z (Business) would earn me 200% miles as per EB rules. This applied even when I booked in an economy fare code, then rebooked the same ticket into a Z code business fare (Air India has a very good upgrade policy that allows for very good value paid upgrades). Recently, however, Air India's upgraded Z fare is only crediting mileage in the original booking code. I do not know if this is because of a change of policy on SK's part or whether AI is giving them incorrect information. Contacting ebretro has not helped me in getting a proper response as to this. I am fine with receiving reduced mileage but I want to know why the sudden change took place.

I have also reconciled with the fact that the Eurobonus Diamond welcome gifts are not available outside of Europe. But reduced mileage is making me think of moving away of moving away from Eurobonus.

So my question is, what can I do to maintain *G status while being based out of India, while also having decent redemption mileage accrual. Especially important is that there are no credit cards that I can use anymore for SK redemption mileage either. Air India's FF program is best not spoken of, since it has some terrible accrual and redemption rates. I am wondering if there are any programs with status matches that I'm unaware of (both TK and SQ rejected my status match requests despite me flying both airlines in premium cabins very frequently). Alternatively, what could be a good strategy to keep earning mileage on SK while also being based out of India?
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
I can't say what happened with the accrual rates to EB with AI upgrades. Did you always upgrade in the same way (upfare, bid for upgrade, paid upgrade at checkin), and now the crediting is different? You may have better luck with another FFP, but I wouldn't count on it.

For determining if another *A program would be better for you, plug in the flights you've taken in the past into wheretocredit and see how much you would have earned with other programs, and see if you could have achieved *G status. You can also post in the *A FFP advice thread to get feedback from people more familiar with the other FFPs. A3 M+B could be an option, since maintaining *G there is relatively easy once you reach it.

Typically you won't find any *A FFPs willing to status match from another *A program.
East_and_West and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: A3*G, SK*G
Originally Posted by clifford79
A3 M+B could be an option, since maintaining *G there is relatively easy once you reach it.

Typically you won't find any *A FFPs willing to status match from another *A program.
Being a member in A3’s FFP Miles and Bonus I can offer you my five cents. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s a good one for you or not.

About 6 years ago, following another EB miles devaluation and combined with high uncertainty about SAS’s future back then made me look for an alternative *A FFP. I gave a shot to M&B and haven’t regretted it at all so far. Note though that I have been flying A3 very regularly for work (and lately also for family reasons, since my wife has family in Greece) so I have made the most out of its benefits.

In your case it’s important to check out M&B earning rates for AI. I’ve never flown this airline and I am not familiar with their fare structure. As clifford79 pointed out I don’t think they will be willing to staus-match you, so you will have to work yourself your way there.

The pros…
  • Obtaining A3*G is equally easy (or hard) as obtaining EBG or a bit harder if you don’t fly A3 (24,000 *A miles or 12,000 *A miles including 2 A3 metal flights for A3*S, then 48,000 *A miles or 24,000 *A miles including 4 A3 metal flights for A3*G) but it is somewhat easier to maintain it (24,000 *A miles) or significantly easier so if you fly A3 (12,000 *A miles including 4 A3 metal flights).
  • Very good earning rates when flying SK.
  • Much better miles burning rate than EB
  • *G benefits carry over when flying their subsidiary OA which is not *A
  • Various other smaller localized benefits if you fly A3 or visit Greece regularly (upgrade vouchers, discounts on stores and restaurants, etc)
…and the cons
  • Exorbitantly high YQ and various charges when burning, especially from Europe to NA. Sometimes tenfold those of EB.
  • Redemption tool more difficult to use than that of EB. Also missing several smaller *A outstations.
  • LH P fares earn zero. Most of my business travel outside Europe is booked at least a couple of months in advance, if not earlier. So my LH long-hauls almost always book on P.
  • Relatively “basic” FFP. Unless you fly A3 or their subsidiary OA you only get basic *G benefits. No Silver giveaways and the likes, and even if you fly A3 there is no higher tier than A3*G.
  • A3 is a regional airline based in the very outskirts of Europe. So if you are not Greek-based or you’re not visiting Greece on at least a yearly/biyearly basis, you won’t take advantage of the reduced (re)qualification rates, unless you are fond of mileage runs (I am definitely not...)
  • No longer free WiFi on SAS Go
If this is not for you, checking out and asking for some tips in the threads suggested by clifford79 could give some ideas.

Last edited by East_and_West; Sep 19, 2019 at 3:07 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If you are still flying SK then TK is not a good option for you unless you are mostly flying SAS Plus.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thank all, for helping out.

Did you always upgrade in the same way, and now the crediting is different?
Yes, over the last two years, my upgrades always happen the exact same way. The reason is that my work usually books me in whatever economy fare is available, and then I choose to upgrade over it, when I want.

I figured that. And I've thought about changing alliances as well. I don't fly nearly enough to have top-tier status on multiple alliances, and most of my travel takes me to places that are easiest (and cheapest!) to get to on Star Alliance carriers.

Originally Posted by East_and_West
Being a member in A3’s FFP Miles and Bonus I can offer you my five cents. It’s up to you to decide whether it’s a good one for you or not.

About 6 years ago, following another EB miles devaluation and combined with high uncertainty about SAS’s future back then made me look for an alternative *A FFP. I gave a shot to M&B and haven’t regretted it at all so far. Note though that I have been flying A3 very regularly for work (and lately also for family reasons, since my wife has family in Greece) so I have made the most out of its benefits.

In your case it’s important to check out M&B earning rates for AI. I’ve never flown this airline and I am not familiar with their fare structure. As clifford79 pointed out I don’t think they will be willing to staus-match you, so you will have to work yourself your way there.

The pros…
  • Obtaining A3*G is equally easy (or hard) as obtaining EBG or a bit harder if you don’t fly A3 (24,000 *A miles or 12,000 *A miles including 2 A3 metal flights for A3*S, then 48,000 *A miles or 24,000 *A miles including 4 A3 metal flights for A3*G) but it is somewhat easier to maintain it (24,000 *A miles) or significantly easier so if you fly A3 (12,000 *A miles including 4 A3 metal flights).
  • Very good earning rates when flying SK.
  • Much better miles burning rate than EB
  • *G benefits carry over when flying their subsidiary OA which is not *A
  • Various other smaller localized benefits if you fly A3 or visit Greece regularly (upgrade vouchers, discounts on stores and restaurants, etc)
…and the cons
  • Exorbitantly high YQ and various charges when burning, especially from Europe to NA. Sometimes tenfold those of EB.
  • Redemption tool more difficult to use than that of EB. Also missing several smaller *A outstations.
  • LH P fares earn zero. Most of my business travel outside Europe is booked at least a couple of months in advance, if not earlier. So my LH long-hauls almost always book on P.
  • Relatively “basic” FFP. Unless you fly A3 or their subsidiary OA you only get basic *G benefits. No Silver giveaways and the likes, and even if you fly A3 there is no higher tier than A3*G.
  • A3 is a regional airline based in the very outskirts of Europe. So if you are not Greek-based or you’re not visiting Greece on at least a yearly/biyearly basis, you won’t take advantage of the reduced (re)qualification rates, unless you are fond of mileage runs (I am definitely not...)
  • No longer free WiFi on SAS Go
If this is not for you, checking out and asking for some tips in the threads suggested by clifford79 could give some ideas.
I have heard very good things about A3's program as well. However, being a much smaller airline with a smaller network, most of its destinations are not actually on my travel radar for the foreseeable future. I honestly wouldn't mind a trip to Greece though, so I shall look into it.

Originally Posted by nacho
If you are still flying SK then TK is not a good option for you unless you are mostly flying SAS Plus.
My SK flying has reduced to a few short haul roundtrips every two months, and those are usually in SAS Plus. It is, by no means, the most flown carrier for me. That title remains firmly in the hands of LH, LX, TK and AI. One of the reasons for me to join Eurobonus was in fact its great earning rates on some of the carriers I fly.

I think I'll have a look at the the thread on the *A forum.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AY Silver
Originally Posted by RanChin
My SK flying has reduced to a few short haul roundtrips every two months, and those are usually in SAS Plus. It is, by no means, the most flown carrier for me. That title remains firmly in the hands of LH, LX, TK and AI. One of the reasons for me to join Eurobonus was in fact its great earning rates on some of the carriers I fly.
Most (cheap) economy fares on LH and LX earn nothing on A3, and that is also the case for P in business on LH. If any of the lower booking classes are available, it is not even possible to buy a higher booking class when booking on their websites (light, standard, and flex all book into the same booking class), in which case you would have to call the airline or use a TA to book miles-earning tickets.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:52 pm

Something to think about when it comes to A3 M+B is that with AI, you only earn 50% with Y, B, M, H, K, Q,V, W, G, and nothing with O, I, X, R, N, L, U, T, S, E, P. That's only 50% on a full-fare Y-ticket.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedChili
Something to think about when it comes to A3 M+B is that with AI, you only earn 50% with Y, B, M, H, K, Q,V, W, G, and nothing with O, I, X, R, N, L, U, T, S, E, P. That's only 50% on a full-fare Y-ticket.
Oddly enough, AI's own program gives almost nothing on discount business fare (125% for base Flying Returns members, while SK gives 200%). SK's earning rates come to a good 18,000 miles on a discount return business ticket between BOM and LHR on AI in Z booking code, and sometimes you can buy these fares for cash for around £1,200 RT which is a really good deal.

Surprisingly, one of the few FFPs that earns pretty well on Air India is Air China's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.