Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAS Plus Europe [merged experience reports & FAQ]

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
Well. I'm actually not defending SK here. I'm whining about the constant whining about the constant whining about the on board service and comparing of a premium eco product on one airline to a bizz product on another. If not getting the table cloth and only a plastic cup for you wine, is the worst you have to complain about, it must have been a good flight.
Sorry to say it then... you are one of those guys who actually enables such a behavior. Business (and same for governments) need to be challenged to do better, people just accepted their cutback are those who support them in doing so resulting in even worse products.

As a product guy (heading the product management of a Silicon Valley High Tech company) I love to be challenged by my customers. Their feedback and reaction to changes to my product drive my decisions.

And that is somehow, I don’t see at SK. I just see an entitled overpaid bunch of corporate managers in Stockholm doing whatever they feel adequate but not trying to do the best for their customers to actually win back the market.

and NO, it is not whining, it’s called criticism...
Old May 27, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
it is not whining, it’s called criticism
Correct and, above all, we’re on FlyerTalk (which would quickly descend into a rather boring platform if we only were to praise a given airline/product/you name it). If I’m sharing my experience (in a civilised manner) of choosing another (better, at least for me) carrier for X/Y/Z reasons, I’m doing so not because I get paid to do it but simply because that’s what FlyerTalk is about (amongst other things, needless to say). If people can’t even read (let alone accept) criticism, then a forum may not be the best website to browse during their well earned free time.

G
Dover2Golf likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by fassy
Sorry to say it then... you are one of those guys who actually enables such a behavior. Business (and same for governments) need to be challenged to do better, people just accepted their cutback are those who support them in doing so resulting in even worse products.

As a product guy (heading the product management of a Silicon Valley High Tech company) I love to be challenged by my customers. Their feedback and reaction to changes to my product drive my decisions.

And that is somehow, I don’t see at SK. I just see an entitled overpaid bunch of corporate managers in Stockholm doing whatever they feel adequate but not trying to do the best for their customers to actually win back the market.

and NO, it is not whining, it’s called criticism...
When it's aired on boards like this and it's the same sentence over and over and over again, it's whining. There are many ways of challenging the airlines. I prefer the direct way, by telling the crew if I'm unhappy with anything and if it's a big enough issue file a complaint afterwards. There are constructive critic and negative critic. Unfortunately most critic here are negative whining.
It's all about priorities. I have better things to do than spend time complaining about not getting a real glass for the wine, but I do challenge the airlines to get a proper internet access in the birds and other stuff like that.

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Correct and, above all, we’re on FlyerTalk (which would quickly descend into a rather boring platform if we only were to praise a given airline/product/you name it). If I’m sharing my experience (in a civilised manner) of choosing another (better, at least for me) carrier for X/Y/Z reasons, I’m doing so not because I get paid to do it but simply because that’s what FlyerTalk is about (amongst other things, needless to say). If people can’t even read (let alone accept) criticism, then a forum may not be the best website to browse during their well earned free time.
Of course we should share our experiences here and we should compare the products on different airlines, but when it becomes "I didn't get my lollipop so I'm never going to fly on this airline again", I'm sorry to say, but I'm not calling that sharing or comparing. I'm calling it whining. I would like to see a lot more praising the good experiences instead of the negative lollipop stories. The good experiences are out there. We saw that with the way SK handled the disruptions during the strike.

That said. I think we got off topic, and should probably stop the whining discussion before the admin starts censoring the tread. I won't change my mind on this topic and I doubt either of you would either.
Tango Alpha likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

G
The wiki-izing of FT and some other developments on FT indicate that maybe FT doesn’t want to be what it used to be in terms of acceptance and hosting of criticism rooted in what travelers experience and in what travelers think about what and whom they may encounter while traveling. As with many a social media vehicle, the larger the vehicle becomes, the more likely the vehicle tends to default to being an apologist for covered companies and their host country government; and, with it, the social media vehicle finds ways to railroad and undermine critical voices on-board in ways that didn’t take place as much earlier.

Maybe the issues with SK Plus can be wiki-ized and used to limit criticism of SK? Maybe that would be considered more satisfying for some, but I would find it to make FT less useful and more boring for me. Not that it matters.
AlicorporateUK and JR67 like this.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:09 am

Good piece of observation and (sadly) very true.

G
Old May 28, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
Originally Posted by lhrpete
May I just make a slightly pedantic point?

SAS Ireland is indeed that but I have yet to meet an Irish member of their crew or hear the voice of an Irish pilot on the PA.

The cabin crew seem to be mostly Eastern Europeans and I've also met a few Russian. The pilots are a mixed bunch, quite a few picked up in the UK when Monarch went to the wall but SAS Ireland is not an Irish crewed airline.

I also think service standards are poor compared to main line although flying out of LHR we seem stuck with them. Couldn't they be shared around a bit more and inflicted on other markets?
I have to disagree. Since SAS Ireland started operating the LHR routes, the service seems to have improved a lot. Whenever I'm in plus, I always get a hot towel, can chose whatever from the menu and get the chocolates. When it was mainline, they usually forgot the chocolates and the towel and never even smiled.

I'm happy with SAS Ireland. The crew are personable and travelling with them every week, they are polite and friendly.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
I have to disagree. Since SAS Ireland started operating the LHR routes, the service seems to have improved a lot. Whenever I'm in plus, I always get a hot towel, can chose whatever from the menu and get the chocolates. When it was mainline, they usually forgot the chocolates and the towel and never even smiled.

I'm happy with SAS Ireland. The crew are personable and travelling with them every week, they are polite and friendly.
I don't think you can generalize like that. I've had very bad experiences with the "IE" crew but also good. Just as I have had with mainline crew. In my experience it really depends on who is the purser and how the purser do the preflight briefing.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by citiflyerUK

I'm another who is for mainline - my routes are usually LHR-ARN and LHR-OSL, rarely go to CPH. I find the SAS IE crews hugely variable from acceptable to bordering on offensive in their manner. Mainline can like any airline get an off crew but IME it's rare

So yes, let's see SAS Ireland shared around lots more.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Maybe the issues with SK Plus can be wiki-ized and used to limit criticism of SK? Maybe that would be considered more satisfying for some, but I would find it to make FT less useful and more boring for me. Not that it matters.
Any member can add a wiki to a thread
Old May 28, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
I'm another who is for mainline - my routes are usually LHR-ARN and LHR-OSL, rarely go to CPH. I find the SAS IE crews hugely variable from acceptable to bordering on offensive in their manner. Mainline can like any airline get an off crew but IME it's rare

So yes, let's see SAS Ireland shared around lots more.
+1.

G
Old May 28, 2019, 7:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Any member can add a wiki to a thread
I thought the proportion of FT members who can do so is below 100% of the FT member count, not that it matters — as the wiki-zation of FT is part and parcel of doing what I noted above.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 28, 2019 at 7:55 am
Old May 29, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: EBG
Ok, had a bit of an issue with the hotel chain I have status with yesterday here in London. Went down, asked to talk to the manager.
Issue solved and a box of chocolates and champagne plus some extra points added to my account.

Tried the same same with Sas ..... put it on my Sas idea. So I did. And what?

So complain to who, the crew? The pilot? Or put it in my Sas idea......

they wont change until we make them.
Old May 29, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by nussle
Ok, had a bit of an issue with the hotel chain I have status with yesterday here in London. Went down, asked to talk to the manager.
Issue solved and a box of chocolates and champagne plus some extra points added to my account.

Tried the same same with Sas ..... put it on my Sas idea. So I did. And what?

So complain to who, the crew? The pilot? Or put it in my Sas idea......

they wont change until we make them.
I haven't looked at my SAS ideas for years. It's as useless as facebook, twitter etc. Those who shout highest gets the attention, but they seldom represent the majority or even close to the majority.

I would do (and have done) like you did with the hotel. Complain using the official complain channel. At a hotel it's often going directly to the manager. In a plane it would be going to the purser or file a complaint using the SAS official customer service page. I've used this a couple of times, and more than once received a compensation.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:39 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Intra Europe SAS Plus and Business lounge access [split from Standby/Flight Change]

Okay, let me try to put it another way:

Intra Europe SAS Plus is classified as Business class. (I.e. service class C!) That‘s why you get access to all the Business class lounges of all other *A carriers when flying SAS Plus intra Europe. We are *not* talking about the international long haul SAS Plus, which indeed is Premium Economy.

That‘s also why when you book the Swiss codeshare in SAS Plus it books into Swiss Business and when you book Swiss Business on the SAS codeshare it books into SAS Plus. Same with every other airline. If SAS Plus was Premium Economy that would mean you are downgraded when booking Swiss Business on the SAS Plus codeshare, which is not the case.

And that‘s another reason why SAS Plus intra Europe is classified as Business.

As for which system classifies SAS Plus as Business Class: Every flight and booking system does. Try to search for Business Class on ARN to CPH for example on any booking system: Does SAS Plus show up? (Now to be intellectually honest: Since many of the fare basis codes SAS uses are usually used for Premium Economy, sometimes they do falsely show up as that, while the higher letters traditionally used for Business Class show up as Business class.) However, that doesn‘t change the fact that SAS Plus intra Europe is classified as Business Class and therefore has the C printed on the ticket and comes with all the *A Business class perks.

Out of a service level perspective itms a different topic, I agree that in that sense SAS Plus is closer to Premium Economy than Business. I'm the first to agree that SAS Plus is ...... compared to say Swiss Business Class in Europe, however, the point of interest is the classification of the product, not if the service is deserving of that classification.

Last edited by Nick Art; Jun 2, 2019 at 3:46 am
Old Jun 2, 2019, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So, if a passenger is flying SAS Plus FRA to CPH with no status, your claim is the passenger will not have access to the Lufthansa business class lounge?
According to the *A website it doesn't matter whether you fly Plus or Business. On short haul you don't have access to other airlines Business lounge. This access is only available on long haul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.