Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Same day change at airport for ARN-BRU segment on United ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I have an ARN-BRU segment ticketed through United as part of a trans-Atlantic ticket. It is a "W" fare on United, and it shows as a "GoSmart" fare on SK's web site. What chance do I have of making a fee free change to an earlier flight the same day when checking in early at Arlanda Airport?

I have a piece of luggage which will have to be checked in, so I doubt that I could stand-by at the gate. I have a flight the next day on United, but there is no direct connection - it is a 24 hour layover in Brussels.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:06 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
None.
Generally there is No such thing as standby to an earlier flight in Europe, unless you’re on an ultra flex ticket. And even that would need to be rebooked.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: More than one
Originally Posted by Nick Art
None.
On a go smart ticket I agree the chances are none. You can't even buy a standby for an earlier flight, but you might be able to change to a confirmed earlier flight for a fee. This can be done at the ticket counter at the airport before the check-in or at the transfer center after the security check. The fee is normally 600SEK + the fair difference.

Generally there is No such thing as standby to an earlier flight in Europe, unless you’re on an ultra flex ticket. And even that would need to be rebooked.
That's not correct. All SAS Plus (both SAS Plus and SAS Plus Smart) tickets gives you free same day standby at the gate. The SAS Plus (not SAS Plus Smart) ticket in addition gives you free change to another confirmed flight whether this is same day or another day. Other airlines in Europa have similar setup but only for premium economy (SAS Plus) and Busniess (not available on SK short haul flights)
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by highupinthesky

That's not correct. All SAS Plus (both SAS Plus and SAS Plus Smart) tickets gives you free same day standby at the gate. The SAS Plus (not SAS Plus Smart) ticket in addition gives you free change to another confirmed flight whether this is same day or another day. Other airlines in Europa have similar setup but only for premium economy (SAS Plus) and Busniess (not available on SK short haul flights)
Had no clue about this - why dont they advertise it, would make me more prone to buying plus.....
Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My statement was referring to Economy tickets only.

Obviously if the ticket allows rebookings you should be able to rebook, but that wasn’t the question. Especially on the day of travel unless you want to pay a fortune, only the high class flex tickets are sensibly rebookable to an earlier flight.

Furthermore, I classify SAS Plus as Business Class
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by tgj1974
Had no clue about this - why dont they advertise it, would make me more prone to buying plus.....
Use it all the time, works very well.

Originally Posted by transportprof
I have a piece of luggage which will have to be checked in,
This makes your changes go from almost 0 to 0. Not a chance with checked bags. Only option as others said, rebook the flight according to the fare rules which probably makes this quite expensive.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fassy
Use it all the time, works very well.

This makes your changes go from almost 0 to 0. Not a chance with checked bags. Only option as others said, rebook the flight according to the fare rules which probably makes this quite expensive.
Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like I wouldn't have been able to make the earlier flight even if I could change. My ship from Helsinki docks at 10 a.m., and the earlier flight is at 10:50 a.m., so no way to get to Arlanda in time.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 2:31 pm

My statement was referring to Economy tickets only.
Ultra flex tickets are not available on economy on any airline in Europa to my knowledge. Only on Premium Economy or Business

Obviously if the ticket allows rebookings you should be able to rebook, but that wasn’t the question. Especially on the day of travel unless you want to pay a fortune, only the high class flex tickets are sensibly rebookable to an earlier flight.
I just mention the option as the standby was at zero % chance. Beside that. All tickets allows in principle rebooking for a fee + the difference in fair. The question is just how big is the fee and fair difference. I've done it a couple of times on SAS Go Smart. Damage average around 1.200 SEK total for a flight ARN-CPH.

Furthermore, I classify SAS Plus as Business Class
Well. SAS don't and neither does the majority here nor the majority of TA's and OTA's. It's a Premium Economy product and one of the reasons why there are no blocked middle seat.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:40 pm

Ultra flex tickets are not available on economy on any airline in Europa to my knowledge. Only on Premium Economy or Business
There are some airlines like EasyJet which allow same day changes. EasyJet offers same day changes for a modest fee (Ł30)

But even Lufthansa and Austrian offer flexible Economy tickets with free same day change. You just have to book Economy Flex. It includes the option for „Earlier flight on day of travel“

usually +40€ per direction compared to the Economy Classic Ticket.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Try booking Y or B on BA short-haul, you will probably not like the price, but they are certainly ultra flexible.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:06 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yes there are.

Well. SAS don't and neither does the majority here nor the majority of TA's and OTA's. It's a Premium Economy product and one of the reasons why there are no blocked middle seat.
In the systems it is classified as such and usually my SAS Plus ticket have the word « Business » printed on it.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:19 am

In the systems it is classified as such and usually my SAS Plus ticket have the word « Business » printed on it.
Which systems? I haven't seen SAS Plus on short haul classified a Business for years and I haven't seen it on any on my tickets for the last 5 years.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Which systems? I haven't seen SAS Plus on short haul classified a Business for years and I haven't seen it on any on my tickets for the last 5 years.
The intra-European Plus flights have the service class "C" which is business. On intercontinental Plus has the service class "Y". Because the service class is "C" you have access to *A business class lounges on intra-European flights in Plus.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

C usually standing for Business.

And to avoid any doubt: We are talking about the intra European SAS Plus, not the longhaul one, which would be prem Y!
Old Jun 2, 2019, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Jainzar
The intra-European Plus flights have the service class "C" which is business. On intercontinental Plus has the service class "Y". Because the service class is "C" you have access to *A business class lounges on intra-European flights in Plus.
So when most of my SAS plus flights are booked in J I don't have access to *A Business class lounges on intra-Europa flight?

C usually standing for Business.
And to avoid any doubt: We are talking about the intra European SAS Plus, not the longhaul one, which would be prem Y!

Usually yes but not always. Beside that most SAS Plus short haul are booked in J,Y,S,B,P or A only the laste expensive SAS Plus tickets are booked in C,D,Z. On long haul it's Z,Y,S or B,P,E,M,H,A if it's SAS Plus saver.
And still. Which systems lists SAS Plus on short haul as Business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.