Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destroyed check-in bag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Destroyed check-in bag

Hopefully some recent experience (or not really!) on this. I checked in a piece of luggage yesterday on SAS. Coming out in Oslo the bag was completely destroyed (this is a Rimowa aluminium case) with what can only have been some significant force. The item is completely unusable - I've communicated with their 3rd party claim company who offered me a Samsonite or Huntsmann luggage or contact SAS for a refund. My luggage piece was ca. 8 years old and retails today for NOK 8,000.

Anyone knw how SAS treats this (their website says Customer Relations deals with items of Rimowa or more expensive types themselves following the third party contractor saying they can't do anything)?
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Hopefully some recent experience (or not really!) on this. I checked in a piece of luggage yesterday on SAS. Coming out in Oslo the bag was completely destroyed (this is a Rimowa aluminium case) with what can only have been some significant force. The item is completely unusable - I've communicated with their 3rd party claim company who offered me a Samsonite or Huntsmann luggage or contact SAS for a refund. My luggage piece was ca. 8 years old and retails today for NOK 8,000.

Anyone knw how SAS treats this (their website says Customer Relations deals with items of Rimowa or more expensive types themselves following the third party contractor saying they can't do anything)?
From my experience if you handle it directly with SK, you will get 1600NOK. Per year 10% are deducted so you get 20% of 8000NOK* in your case.

*actually it is from the original price, but since bag prices usually make no big jumps up that should be ok
dodgeflyer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jainzar
From my experience if you handle it directly with SK, you will get 1600NOK. Per year 10% are deducted so you get 20% in your case.

*actually it is from the original price, but since bag prices usually make no big jumps up that should be ok
Auch. That's what I feared - too late to take the third party offer? I'd rather get a Samsonite that works then a sum which really doesn't solve anything for me...

I gave the most recent price for it. Rimowa's have acutally increased quite a bit in price in the last few years.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The insurance most airlines have limit the depreciation to max 50%. So after the 5th year the residual value of the luggage remains at 50% of purchase value.

Last year I contacted LH after my 8 year old Rimowa polycarbonate suitcase was damaged. The repair cost 60€ but the bag didn't look the same. I also attached the original invoice and to my surprise they paid me the original value (~350€). So I would advise you to ask SAS nicely.
Jainzar and dodgeflyer like this.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I will be - guess the issue I have in the end is that this is an incredibly sturdy item and the amount of force placed on to it makes it hard to understand what's really happened (ie one the locks popped open) - I didn't need a new item and this should be a luggage item which lasts more than the period I've owned it, hence applying depreciation annoys me in these cases.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks. I will be - guess the issue I have in the end is that this is an incredibly sturdy item and the amount of force placed on to it makes it hard to understand what's really happened (ie one the locks popped open) - I didn't need a new item and this should be a luggage item which lasts more than the period I've owned it, hence applying depreciation annoys me in these cases.
Where did the bag get checked in and what was its routing to OSL? Some airports have some brutal machinery involved in luggage handling, and other times it’s a result of how the baggage handler personnel are handling or not handling the bags.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:07 am

I've seen several times when baggage was loaded onto trains of carts, that bags can fall off in tight turns due to the centrifugal force. That can make for a pretty tough encounter with the asphalt or concrete pavement. This problem doesn't happen if you're flying in an airplane with baggage containers, as your bags will be locked inside the container and can't fall out.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:33 am

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond
I had a one year old case destroyed last year and SAS customer support refunded me the purchase price for a new one of 120 € without any issue.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Where did the bag get checked in and what was its routing to OSL? Some airports have some brutal machinery involved in luggage handling, and other times it’s a result of how the baggage handler personnel are handling or not handling the bags.
Was a simple LHR-OSL. I am fairly sure the cause of the issue was the captain; they braked incredibly hard as if they were about to miss the runway exit on OSL (ie landed, slow downed naturally followed by a very hard brake) - guess loading wasn’t the greatest either but sure that’s what caused it.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Was a simple LHR-OSL. I am fairly sure the cause of the issue was the captain; they braked incredibly hard as if they were about to miss the runway exit on OSL (ie landed, slow downed naturally followed by a very hard brake) - guess loading wasn’t the greatest either but sure that’s what caused it.
I doubt that would be enough to cause anything but scratches should the luggage move a bit Serious damage to a metal Rimowa requires more force than just breaking.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 8:46 am

When bags are on board the airplane, they're locked in place and cannot move. It's more likely that the passengers would break their legs than the bags being damaged by the captain breaking hard.
nancypants and jerry305 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I doubt that would be enough to cause anything but scratches should the luggage move a bit Serious damage to a metal Rimowa requires more force than just breaking.
If I had to hazard a guess, I doubt that it would have anything to do with hard braking on landing, even as there is a possibility for that too. I would guess it more likely that the item probably got a pounding from a luggage sorting apparatus, got dropped from a material enough height, had something heavy dropped on it, or someone stepped on it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder

If I had to hazard a guess, I doubt that it would have anything to do with hard braking on landing, even as there is a possibility for that too. I would guess it more likely that the item probably got a pounding from a luggage sorting apparatus, got dropped from a material enough height, had something heavy dropped on it, or someone stepped on it.
Yeah, it is in the handling not while being in the hold bags are damaged I have seen a bulk loading go wrong where the bags fell from the height of an A320 luggage hold. That would dent a metal suitcase quite significantly.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Apr 4, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: More than one
I also strongly doubt this. If this was the case, I would expect sever damage to the plane too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by highupinthesky
I also strongly doubt this. If this was the case, I would expect sever damage to the plane too.
I wouldn’t expect severe damage to the plane, but I would expect severe damage on some of the cheaper polycarbonate suitcases coming off the baggage belt for the very same flight in the very off chance that it was due to hard braking of a plane in motion. But the most probable source of damage is from the handling of luggage while it’s being handled by people on the ground or while the plane is stationed for loading.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.